Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Winter Art and Poetry

It's winter now. Where I live it's cold, with a little bit of snow on lawns and roofs. Much of the country is in considerably worse shape -- the worst being the Colorado town that burned to cinders just before the snow fell. We have to stay in, like a large number of people, but our house is warm, our food supplies are fine, and we have nothing to complain about. We are the fortunate ones in this dreary time. 

I was thinking about how poets and artists have given us such enjoyable creations that express something akin to what I'm experiencing. First, a few of my favorite winter-theme art works:

Pieter Bruegel the Elder, "Hunters in the Snow (Winter)," 1567.

Hiroshige, "Mt. Fuji and Mt. Ashigara in Snow from Numazu
in Clear Weather after a Snowfall," 1855

August Rodin, "The Burghers of Calais," 1884-1895.

Renee Magritte, "Golconde," 1953

Marcel Duchamp "In Advance of the Broken Arm."

The last piece of art above is a "Ready Made" by that joker Marcel Duchamp, from the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York, dated 1964. Duchamp "produced" quite a few of these, so I've seen them in several museums (also on my back porch, but unsigned). From the MOMA website: "Duchamp purchased the first version of this work in a hardware store in 1915, signed and dated the shovel, and hung it on display from his studio ceiling." (source) I'm a big fan of Duchamp and his DaDa style.

Finally, I found a poem that I had never read before that seems very apt for this season:

 Lines for Winter

for Ros Krauss

Tell yourself
as it gets cold and gray falls from the air
that you will go on
walking, hearing
the same tune no matter where
you find yourself—
inside the dome of dark
or under the cracking white
of the moon's gaze in a valley of snow.
Tonight as it gets cold
tell yourself
what you know which is nothing
but the tune your bones play
as you keep going. And you will be able
for once to lie down under the small fire
of winter stars.
And if it happens that you cannot
go on or turn back
and you find yourself
where you will be at the end,
tell yourself
in that final flowing of cold through your limbs
that you love what you are.



16 comments:

kwarkito said...

I really like this post with its images and poem which is very touching. I wish you a peaceful and warm winter.

kwarkito said...

I really like this post with its images and poem which is very touching. I wish you a peaceful and warm winter.
www.kwarkito.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

I've tried but have never been able to develop an appreciation for poetry. Well, other than nonsense rhymes and that sort of thing. Your winter art, on the other hand... I'm enjoying that :)

Jackie McGuinness said...

We are very lucky too. Freezing cold out but we are warm and cozy inside. Lots of food, just did a grocery order online. We have our hobbies and interests and some of the amenities in the building are open subject to Covid rules.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

What a lovely poem. Enjoy the snow and stay warm!

Iris Flavia said...

The last pic made me laugh. No snow yet.
We have an artificial skating area and luckily if snow comes we have someone who shovels in front of the house.
Just this morning I finally changed my ticker to when summer will be here. Oh, let´s hope we get one (last one was way too cold).

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Thank you for sharing these serene works of art. Winter with snow is completely outside my experience. I owe my existence to coming from people who were fed up with shoveling snow...otherwise, my parents would never have met. Still, I feel a little wistful about it, as if it is an important part of life I've missed.

DVArtist said...

Wow Mae, this is a truly beautiful post. The art and poetry speak volumes. Have a lovely day.

Kitchen Riffs said...

I have one of those Duchamp's on my back porch, too! Also unsigned. And in considerably worse shape. :-)

Cloudia said...

That you love what you are. Thank you so much dear!

Jeanie said...

The Bruegel and HIroshige drew me in (two of my favorites) but that poem -- what a wonderful finale. I'm not terribly fond of snow but I'm less fond of hurricanes, repetitious wildfires, massive floods and earthquakes. So I suck it up and celebrate what I love about Michigan and deride the rest -- those AWFUL roads, the Michigan Militia and our current legislature!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Mae
I loved the poem and the art work. Hunters in the snow and Mt. Fuji are favorites. Golconde is interesting. We have the shovel outside our door, ready for the next snowfall Sunday into Monday. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Shiju Sugunan said...

So glad you are one of the fortunate ones. Sad about the misery winter brings. Some of the art look amazing and I like the poem.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Mae,:=) I appreciate the art work, especially the first two you shared. I'm not familiar with Duchamp's work, but the shovel made me smile, an essential piece of hardware in winter. This artist has a sense of humour. The poem you found is lovely.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always like to keep up with the weather of all my blog buddies. I'm glad I live in the deep South though. We have some wind and rain coming in tomorrow and we will probably declare it a snow day! heehee! Hugs!

Linda said...

Interesting post. I like the art. Stay safe and warm.