Monday, January 24, 2022

"I drink therefore I am"

The famous Monty Python "Philosophers' Drinking Song" 





Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table


David Hume could out-consume
Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel


And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as sloshed as Schlegel


There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed


John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day


Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram


And René Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am"


Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker 
But a bugger when he's pissed

Performed first in 1973 by Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Edward Palin. 

I've shared this drinking song before, but it seems worth repeating, and I've added some images of the philosophers in the song. I'm sending this to the bloggers at Elizabeth's weekly blog party who share what they are drinking. We can all use a little humor, so it’s fun to revisit the Monty Python oeuvre.

17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Mae

I have not heard this drinking song, it is funny.
Take care, enjoy your new week!

Divers and Sundry said...

ROFLOL! Happy T Day

DVArtist said...

LOL I am laughing. Wittgenstein looks a bit evil. Have a great day....

Jenn Jilks said...

That is funny!

kathyinozarks said...

Fun post happy T

Linda Kunsman said...

First time hearing of this song- love the snarky lines:):) Happy T day!

Carola Bartz said...

Oh how funny! Such a fitting post for T Tuesday!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I never got to experience Monty Python when they were together, but I always enjoy watching them whenever I come across something like this incredible ditty. What an absolutely fun and joyful entry for T this Tuesday, dear Mae.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Dave and James are huge Monty Python fans so I will share this with them.

Iris Flavia said...

Funny :-)

Valerie-Jael said...

Too funny! Good for Monty Python. Sorry I didn't get round to visiting last week, I was just to ill to sit at the computer! Hugs, Valerie

Let's Art Journal said...

Love Monty Python - so funny 😁. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Too fun! Happy T Day

My name is Erika. said...

Fun post Mae. Monty Python is a favorite of mine, and I had to wait to listen to the song (again) this morning when the house was quiet so I could hear it. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

Interesting song. I haven't heard this one.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

An interesting post, Mae. Happy T Day.

one irrational bean said...

Lol. So funny.