Saturday, January 01, 2022

Dara Horn: "People Love Dead Jews"

First, I wish everyone a happy and healthy and better year in 2022. For my first blog post of the New Year, I am writing about a new book that's a bit depressing, but profound in many ways. Dara Horn has written several novels and many op-eds and other types of essays for various publications. I've enjoyed reading two of her novels, A Guide for the Perplexed (2013) and The World to Come (2006).  I did not enjoy Horn's newest book People Love Dead Jews: Reports from a Haunted Present, a collection of her recent essays. It's a masterful work of genius, full of insights that I would rather not have.

People Love Dead Jews (published 2021)

What is it that I dislike about "feel good" novels about the Holocaust? Horn explains exactly what has bothered me more and more as the Holocaust gets further in the past and as rather shallow writers create their own imaginary Holocaust world that teaches the lessons they want to learn. Horn summarizes:

"We expect the good guys to be 'saved.' If that doesn’t happen, we at least expect the main character to have an 'epiphany.' And if that doesn’t happen, then at least the author ought to give us a 'moment of grace.' All three are Christian terms. So many of our expectations of literature are based on Christianity—and not just Christianity, but the precise points at which Christianity and Judaism diverge. And then I noticed something else: the canonical works by authors in Jewish languages almost never give their readers any of those things. (pp. 75-76). 

"Dead Jews are supposed to teach us about the beauty of the world and the wonders of redemption—otherwise, what was the point of killing them in the first place? That’s what dead Jews are for! ... This is far from a fringe attitude among contemporary readers, as just about every bestselling Holocaust novel of our current century makes fantastically clear. Holocaust novels that have sold millions of copies both in the United States and overseas in recent years are all 'uplifting,' even when they include the odd dead kid. The Tattooist of Auschwitz, a recent international mega-bestseller touted for its 'true story,' manages to present an Auschwitz that involves a heartwarming romance. Sarah’s Key, The Book Thief, The Boy in Striped Pajamas, and many other bestsellers, some of which have even become required reading in schools, all involve non-Jewish rescuers who risk or sacrifice their own lives to save hapless Jews, thus inspiring us all.... In addition to their wonderful non-Jewish characters, these books are almost invariably populated by the sort of relatable dead Jews whom readers can really get behind: the mostly non-religious, mostly non-Yiddish-speaking ones whom noble people tried to save, and whose deaths therefore teach us something beautiful about our shared and universal humanity, replete with epiphanies and moments of grace. Statistically speaking, this was not the experience of almost any Jews who endured the Holocaust. But for literature in non-Jewish languages, that grim reality is both inconvenient and irrelevant." (p. 80).

Horn discusses the content of Holocaust literature written in Jewish languages by survivors and also the contemporary accounts by Jews who managed to write something before they didn't survive. She finds that these are not in the least uplifting or beautiful. Some of the elements of such work are "confusion, starvation, denial, and sheer sadistic horror." (p. 83). 

The same problem, Horn explains, occurs in even the most well-meaning and carefully researched exhibits about the Holocaust and its survivors. One illustration was a lavish commercially produced and very accurate show, which required several hours to walk through: 

"At the end of the show, on-screen survivors talk in a loop about how people need to love one another. While listening to this, it occurs to me that I have never read survivor literature in Yiddish—the language spoken by 80 percent of victims—suggesting this idea. In Yiddish, speaking only to other Jews, survivors talk about their murdered families, about their destroyed centuries-old communities, about Jewish national independence, about Jewish history, about self-defense, and on rare occasions, about vengeance. Love rarely comes up; why would it? But it comes up here, in this for-profit exhibition. Here it is the ultimate message, the final solution.  

"That the Holocaust drives home the importance of love is an idea, like the idea that Holocaust education prevents antisemitism, that seems entirely unobjectionable. It is entirely objectionable. The Holocaust didn’t happen because of a lack of love. It happened because entire societies abdicated responsibility for their own problems, and instead blamed them on the people who represented—have always represented, since they first introduced the idea of commandedness to the world—the thing they were most afraid of: responsibility." (pp. 190-191).

In other chapters of People Love Dead Jews, Horn explores different themes and events, including the rise of antisemitism in our society, and her view of the numerous recent murderous attacks on synagogues and other Jewish places. She includes a very insightful essay about Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, contradicting conventional views of the play and whether it is antisemitic.  It's a fascinating and horrifying essay collection. I wish that some of my fellow bloggers who are so enamored of feel-good Holocaust fiction would read what Horn has to say and try to follow her insights, but I don't think it will happen. 

Review © 2022 mae sander

 


12 comments:

Jeanie said...

This sounds both fascinating and distressing, Mae. While I never thought of it that way, it may also play into why I stopped reading Holocaust fiction. I do think some of the novels bring up very valid points that are good to consider and if that's how they have to get out to more of a mass audience, then OK. But after awhile, they are all the same. And while there are some that I have loved ("All the Light You Cannot See") and some I couldn't finish ("Lilac Girls")I realized that I may be done with the genre. Now, reading these comments, they stop and make me think more of the why.

Nil @ The Little House by the Lake said...

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, Mae!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've read a bit about the Holocaust, but never fiction about it. I'm not inclined to want to fictionalize an event that, even to this day, many in the world still believe is a lie. Nicely done with the review, Mae. Gave me insight.

Iris Flavia said...

I read very strong books on the subject and there was an exhibition in one of our museums - I sadly saw too late - on a Jewish dancer.
In... you know, it hurts just to write this.
I´ll never get why people go at each other like this.
We are but people...

Jenn Jilks said...

Human's inhumanity towards one another never fails to shock me. Thank you for the review.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Wow. Not sure I would have ever picked this one up (just because of the title). I won't be adding this to my list BUT I appreciate the review (and perhaps Horn does spout some truths...as horrible as they are). I do have Lilac Girls and All the Light You Cannot See in my to read stacks. I will certainly read those with a different set of eyes after reading your review (and above comments).

Divers and Sundry said...

We live in scary days. We could learn from the past. Why don't we?! :(

thecuecard said...

The book sounds like a very strong cup of coffee. I did not know of Dara Horn before ... so glad you introduced her work ... I'm sure she makes many valid points about Holocaust literature and feel good fluff ... and reading more from the Jewish perspective. I'm not sure I agree with everything but it is interesting to think about what she says ...

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

my iPad would not load this blog post for some reason and it did not bother me as much as the title did. I just can't stomach the idea of reading this.

Johanna GGG said...

That sounds like a powerful book. It has been distressing to hear some people comparing covid to the holocaust and see how little people understand it. I am really sorry to hear about how people are discussing the holocaust now - I studied it in uni and rarely read about it now because I can't bear the distress and horror.

Cloudia said...

Thank you dear ❤️

Heather G. said...

wonderful insight and review on her book of essays. You said exactly what I wanted to. I picked up the Tree of Life series she talks about. I have yet to read it but I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.