Friday, January 07, 2022

What’s Cooking?

The new surge in the pandemic combined with winter cold weather has us staying inside. Our coping strategy is to try some new or newish recipes. 

Home made granola.

From the first covid wave in March 2020, we remember the terrible shortages and challenges for shopping; also for the early months of the pandemic, until we were immunized, we stayed in and ordered all food and other things for delivery or curb-side pickup. We aren’t as fearful this time, so I’m still doing in-person grocery shopping. 

This week at Whole Foods, the shelves were just as bare as I remember them when everyone was hoarding. The current problem, however, is different: so many store employees are out sick that they can’t stock the shelves. Yesterday a dedicated produce clerk wrote down what I was looking for and went to the stock room  — she came out with boxes that had just been unloaded from a delivery truck, and I therefore bought very fresh mushrooms for a raw mushroom and celery dish, cucumbers for salad, eggplant (see below), and more. In short: I managed to get everything on my list, despite the empty shelves and bins, thanks to a willing employee. I told her that she was a hero. 

Here are some examples of this week’s menu items —

Roasted eggplant with lemon and browned onions.
Recipe from Ottolenghi’s book Jerusalem.

Slicing vegetables for the eggplant garnish.

Prep for another Ottolenghi recipe for squash with oranges. I used delicata squash and satsuma mandarins.

The finished dish. Recipe from the Guardian (link).

Len cooked a red snapper using a recipe from the very old Time-Life Fish Cookbook.

The origin of the recipe:
The Complete Book of Caribbean Cooking
by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz.

The delicious result: whole fish garnished with parsley and bell pepper.
On the side we had a garlic sauce called Salsa Esmeralda.

Simple lunch: avocado and tomato sandwich with green bean salad.

The situation for all businesses right now is very challenging — my observations at Whole Fooods are obviously just one small example. The Washington Post, in an article “Mounting omicron infections force businesses to scramble, threatening economic recovery” writes:
“The growing toll of sick workers — Capital Economics says more than 5 million Americans are in quarantine — is hammering employers that already were struggling to secure enough labor. Yet even as pandemic fatigue deepens, there are hopes that omicron will prove to be a punishing but short-lived squall.”
Blog post and all photos © 2022 mae sander. 

18 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Your meal not only looks delicious but also beautiful.

I'm getting reports from teacher friends of huge numbers of staff and students who are out sick. Of course, that's pretty much the norm for post-holiday January. I'll be picking up my grocery order in a few minutes. I'll see then if they are able to fill my order.

Harvee said...

I'm coming over to your house for the red snapper! The dishes all look delicious!

Anne in the kitchen said...

Everything looks so tasty. Snapper is one of my favorites.
As sad as it makes me, other than essential and very limited trips to the grocery store, we are back to doing nothing. TheHub still has to go to the office daily, but they are isolating and distancing as much as possible.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've always had trouble cutting eggplant. I should give it another chance so I can try this recipe.

DVArtist said...

It's a good thing I don't live close to you. I would be inviting myself to dinner quite often. LOL Have a great day today.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Even during the height of the Omnicron wave here we had full shelves and low infection rates, in comparison to the rest of the world. Our numbers surged for a week but thankfully we are on the downward slope. What an amazing employee you found at the store. She deserves a lot of accolades.

Phil Slade said...

You have some great cooking skills Mae. I remember eating a glorious filleted Red Snapper one time in India. The next time I tried one, the chef had not filleted it at all and I found it very difficult to eat.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You eat so very well, Mae. I an so impressed with all the meals you cooked and the heroic clerk who went above and beyond. Your meals look so inviting and appealing, too. The visual first impression is as important as the first taste.

Jeanie said...

I want Len's fish!

I think I'm pretty set, which is a good thing, given what you say. I haven't seen any shortages here at Kroger but not sure on other spots. I have two pork tenderloins, five bags of homemade tomato sauce, two or three packages of salmon, two bags of shrimp and a couple of frozen things in the freezer, loads of pasta and stuff to bake with. The problem will be fresh veg if it comes to that!

Gretchen said...

Looks like a great way to spend your time at home. The dishes look beautiful and delicious. That Whole Foods employee is a hero. Have a great week!

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

All your COVID meals look delicious! I feel bad for all the businesses whose employees are out ill with COVID, especially if they caught it from people who refuse to get vaccinated.

Johanna GGG said...

Lovely food. Glad you are managing to eat well and find helpful employees with challenging times. I am sad to say that omicron has finally pushed Australia over the edge - a shame and an embarrassment after we did so well for 2 years but the govt has put the economy first and now it is falling over and I am seeing lots of pictures of empty supermarket shelves but so far have not had problems at my supermarkets.

Marg said...

Everything looks so delicious Mae!

The supply issues are just beginning to come to fruition here.We are just starting to see empty shelves, reminiscent of the worst of the hoarding in the beginning of the pandemic!

Tina said...

You have marvelous meals on your table and that eggplant....I love anything with eggplant. Healthy fare :-) We have had issues around these parts with some places closing because they can't get any help. We were walking Loki near alocally owned pizza place and they came out t tell us they'd have to close all week as they didn't have any workers.

JoAnn said...

Your dishes all look delicious, especially the squash. Delicata is my favorite, but I haven't seen it at all this fall/winter here in FL. Haven't been to Whole Foods in a while though, and that's where I found it last year. Our grocery shelves are shockingly empty, too. I've assumed it's from lack of workers just as much as supply. Tough times...

Literary Feline said...

That employee truly was a hero for going into the back and getting you the items you needed. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for the empty shelves here was in part due to lack of staffing to stock. Everyone seems to be getting since this time around. I hope you have a great week!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

This is the first time this has happened: I went to the Post Office. The US Post Office and it was closed due to staffing shortages. We are in uncharted territory. My Sunday Salon Post

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

We are experiencing the same issues here with sick staff impacting the supply chain. I’m keeping our menu basic for a while.

Wishing you a great week