Sunday, January 09, 2022

Sake


Sujata Massey's series about Japan keeps tempting me to read one more. The latest is The Samurai's Daughter.  Like her other novels, this one has held my attention with its amazing variety of Japanese history and culture, as well as several suspenseful plot elements. Food in all of these novels is described in mouth-watering detail, but right now, I want to concentrate on sake, the Japanese fermented rice wine. Sake has quite a history: its roots link to the Shinto celebrations of old times, and it has continuing significance in modern holidays like New Year's, cherry blossom festivals, autumn "moon viewing," and wedding celebrations.

Rei Shimura, the accidental detective at the center of these novels, is highly aware of the significance of Japanese food and sake. When she visits her family in the suburbs of Tokyo for New Year’s, her aunt Norie, a remarkable Japanese cook, serves a traditional dinner to the family, including Norie's daughter Chika, who had had a rather wild time on New Years Eve:

"Norie wanted to immediately open the fine bottle of Fukushima sake that I’d brought to toast the holiday. As my aunt offered the carefully warmed spirits in tiny, dark blue lacquered glasses, everyone said Kampai except for Chika, who had a big glass of water next to her untouched cup of green tea...." (p. 130)

Sake was also used in cooking some of the traditional foods for the dinner, which Rei introduces to her Scottish boyfriend Hugh, also a guest at the party:

"Below the din of voices, I encouraged him to try the safe bets: sweet, sake-simmered root vegetables, the fancy hard boiled eggs, the grilled salmon, and the daikon root and carrot that had been knotted together to look like a New Year’s rope. Everything Norie had prepared was symbolic of different elements of nature, which in turn were symbolic of the New Year and good wishes for the future. This was the kind of Japanese cooking that I admired most and had already spent many pages chronicling for my family history." (p. 130). 

The many types and qualities of sake lend themselves to luxury consumption as well as ritual significance. Rei goes to a high-end very trendy Tokyo restaurant:

"Sake was the specialty beverage of the restaurant, with over a hundred varieties available from different regions in Japan. After some deliberation, I ordered a crisp sake from my favorite province, Fukushima, which came to me in a small glass filled with ice. It was the perfect partner to the otoshi, the small, predinner nibble they served alongside it—a spicy, tangy mix of mackerel and trout chunks. I couldn’t have eaten fish this strong-tasting when I was in high school, but the longer I’d lived in Japan, the more I had become able to appreciate savory and strong flavors, especially if they were spiked with things like chilies and horseradish." (p. 176). 

There's also a Buddhist view of sake and its role in Japanese tradition, expressed by Rei's father: “Well, a person may take sake, but not in an amount to cause intoxication. My grandfather drank sake at supper, but only a single glass.”(p. 2).

Both sake and food, along with many other details, create the atmosphere in which Rei is faced with her own family background and the weight of Japanese history left over from World War II. It's well-written and enjoyable to read, with a few plot twists that kept me interested to the end. I'm really intrigued by the food descriptions and the many varieties of sake. I'd love to know the quality of the sake that's in my refrigerator, for example. I'm sure it's pathetic -- I bought it to make yakitori sauce. 

As I was reading, I looked up a few facts about sake. A very interesting summary is found at the website Eat-Japan.

"When first produced over two thousand years ago, sake was revered and cherished and made as an offering to the various gods and deities of Japan’s indigenous Shinto religion. Indeed, for many years sake production in Japan was carried out for the most part within the Imperial Court, and the drink itself was only enjoyed on celebratory or festival days."  (link)

The multi step process of making rice into sake is very exacting, employing two types of microorganisms, one to convert the starch in polished rice to sugar, and another to ferment the sugar into alcohol. The production process is just as complex as the process of making fine wine from grapes. In fact, maybe even moreso. 

My sake set has 5 cups: odd numbers are lucky in Japanese culture. The number 4 is especially unlucky.

Serving sake in a traditional way involves special serving vessels and special cups. Sometimes it's served warm, sometimes not. I have no idea of all of the possibilities, but I've seen the many styles and designs of these beautiful serving sets. I’ve never used my sake set (shown above), but I think it’s very attractive.

Blog post and photos © 2022 mae sander.


23 comments:

Harvee said...

I have a bottle of saki in my refrigerator that has been sitting there since I bought it at the airport duty free many years ago. I have thought of using it in cooking, a waste, I know, but it's too strong for me to drink straight.

Suajta Massey's Japanese mysteries are wonderful. I enjoyed all of them, and have read a few of her new mystery series set in India.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've been looking at Japanese recipes and have come to the conclusion that I'll never have the right ingredients lol I'll look at finished dishes in the grocery freezer section instead, I think.

Tina said...

I have not have read anything by this author, nor have I ever had saki. The mysteries sound appealing so I will add to my Goodreads list.

Jenn Jilks said...

I shall add this to my Wanna Read List! Thank you for the review. It sounds like I'd learn a lot about Japanese culture.

Greg said...

I've always been interested in sake since learning about it in college. And trying some (probably not very good quality ha ha). This series sounds quite good as well, I love Japan and the food descriptions- I think it want it for that alone! And if it's a good story too bonus :)

Adding this one.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I've tried a few different sakes over the years but it's not my first choice of drink.

thecuecard said...

So you have not tried sake? Neither have I. I might be a bit chicken. Though I still want to read Massey's books ... though there's quite a wait list at the library. They're popular !

Iris Flavia said...

Funny. The other week I bought a small drink of Sake. And I have an original brolly from Japan right here - my Dad brought it home from a business-holiday.
He´d sold.. back the in the 70´s so many SEIKO-watches, the company invited him.
Ii still have crazy pics of that.

Sharon Madson said...

This was an interesting post. I had never heard of these books. I have always been interested I Japan, maybe because as a young teen, I had a Japanese pen pal. Per your comment on my blog that you had hoppin John. New Years: I wonder if it is same as we sometime s have, which is a soup with rice and seasonings and black-eyed peas? Happy T day!

Kate Yetter said...

I have had recipes that call for Saki but I have never purchased it. The book sounds like an interesting read. I am interested in Japanese culture and cuisine.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yet another book I want to read. Massey is very popular at my library, too. It sounds like a good read. I've never had saki, but I was impressed by the process by which it is made. Your saki set is beautiful, Mae. What a lovely post you gave us for T this almost Tuesday.

Linda Kunsman said...

The only time I have sake (warm) is when we are at a Japanese restaurant. Interesting post. Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

This book series sounds great. You do find some interesting series Mae. And I love what you discovered about sake. When I visited Tokyo back in 2018 we went to a Shinto shrine where there were many barrels of sake there as ritual "gifts". Nice post, and thanks for the book recommendation. Have a happy T day too. hugs-Erika

Carola Bartz said...

I haven't heard about this author and I think I have to put her on my list. Your Sake set is indeed very beautiful, I like the neutral colors and patterns.

kathyinozarks said...

Hi I am thinking this is your T post-I have had good sake over the years-enjoyed your post Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for the very interesting read, and the information about Sake. Happy T Day, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Super interesting T-day post, Mae. I used to love Sake, but seem to know longer have a taste for it. Maybe cooking with it would be a good idea. Thanks for the share today - I always learn something cool from you! Happy T-day and hugz

Empire of the Cat said...

Loved the sake post Mae. I have only had it warm with Japanese food and it was interesting but seemed to complement the food. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

DVArtist said...

Wow Mae, this is an excellent review. I enjoyed it so much. I wonder if this series is on tape? I will check my library. Have a great day.

Lisca said...

How interesting to read about sake. I have drunk it a few times (always warm). I suppose it's like whiskey, much more to it than meets the eye, especially for connoisseurs.
Great book recommendation. I'll look out for that one.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

I have never tried Saki and maybe never will - there aren't many Japanese restaurants around here. It was interesting to read about. Happy T Day, Chrisx

CJ Kennedy said...

Snap! Both our T Day posts mentioned Japanese cherry blossoms.😊 Happy T Day

Caty said...

Your sake set is very beautiful Mae ! Interesting drink. Happy belated T-day! This book may be great, I haven´t found it in spanish, but I like the mistery books very much.
With my best wishes for this new year,
Big hugs, Caty