Sunday, January 02, 2022

What was in your “cup of kindness” on New Year’s Eve?

Did you stay up until midnight New Year's Eve? I did not. We had a nice dinner, but didn’t wait for the clock to strike, the ball to drop, or anyone to sing the nearly incomprehensible Scots words about remembering old times. At some point, though, I started wondering what a “cup of kindness” in the song actually referred to. I was a bit disappointed to learn that the cup represents friendship, and the contents aren’t really specified: you can drink anything you want to honor your friends.


If you check google, what people want is champagne — and they want to be in a crowd. The photos above are google’s top selections for people drinking, and probably getting drunk, on New Year’s Eve. It’s funny that they sing such a gentle song about memory and friendship, but don’t know what the words mean.

As we settle into 2022, champagne will give way to a variety of drinks. Personally, I prefer wine and Diet Coke to cocktails, which I almost never drink. In fact, during the last 2 years, I've had exactly one mixed drink from a bartender. However, I'm sort of fascinated by all the wonderful names and exotic ingredients that are mentioned by writers predicting what restaurant and bar patrons will be ordering. For example, the New York Times projects that vintage cocktails will be back in style:

"Even in the age of no-alcohol cocktails, all those 1980s drinks you can barely remember (for obvious reasons) are coming back. Look for Blue Lagoons, Tequila Sunrises, Long Island iced tea and amaretto sours re-engineered with fresh juices, less sugar and better spirits." (source)

A Golden Cadillac (source)
Here in Michigan, there are several popular mixed drinks; the one whose name I like is called the Golden Cadillac. It contains blueberries, crème de cacao, Galliano, lemon juice, sugar, vodka, water -- or sometimes just Galliano, crème de cacao, and heavy cream. (I've never had it.)

A Denver publication called "5280" is a bit more amusing, predicting cocktails with big flavors:

"The spicy margarita will hold its popular cocktail crown and more variations of it will emerge in this agave-loving city, predicts Drew Stephens, bar manager at Green Russell near Union Station. He also expects dirty martinis with various brines and washes and infusions will gain some momentum. The espresso martini could continue to go strong as its one that can be made with liquors other than vodka (think: tequila or amaro) to contrast the robust coffee and chocolate notes." (source)

The National Restaurant Association also expects to see increased demand for strong flavors. They interviewed 350 chefs, who predict that the following will be the most popular:

• Cashew and pistachio nut milks
• Flavored sparkling waters
• Hard seltzers
• Spicy-rimmed cocktails
• At-home cocktail kits
• CBD-infused beverages (source)

Well, that’s my reflection on the holiday and what really sophisticated and impressive people, not me, will be drinking when the go to fancy bars and fine dining places. If the pandemic doesn't subside soon, I'll probably be going through another year without much eating out. I'm even less likely to go to a bar, unless I manage to go on another ship this year: also unlikely. (My one and only cocktail was on the National Geographic Quest.)

This theoretical drinking research will be shared with the beverage lovers at Elizabeth's blog this week. 

Blog post © 2022 mae sander for maefood dot blogspot dot com.

23 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Just wanted to stop by and wish you all the very best for 2022. Maybe this will be the year we can say goodbye to COVID. That would make it a really great year!

Harvee said...

I have flavored waters and hard szelters in my pantry, but I'm taking it easy, having had enough orange juice with prosecco (missed the champagne) on New Year's Eve, a quiet one for us, in front of the TV.

Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Well, it would be nice to be able to responsibly get out there and try some new cocktails. I had to laugh at the comment about those 80's cocktails you can't remember. Our college bar had one called Skylab Fallout (which was blue) and I'm sure that this reference will have to be explained to some. :)

Auld Lang Syne always makes me feel nostalgic and regretful for some reason. Maybe I should focus on the "cup 'o kindness" line.

All the best in 2022!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Those party goers looked like lushes. So sad. Of course, it's just one more reason I don't drink alcohol.

I think David's optimism is a bit premature, but I can always hope for the best.

Divers and Sundry said...

I ended up having water. I had champagne ready and forgot it completely lol Maybe I'll have a mimosa for breakfast soon :)

craftytrog said...

I didn't stay up on new year's eve, I went to bed with a good book. It was such a good book, I carried on reading until past midnight 😊

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

We had an early night, with a Port before we went to bed. I'm doing 3 weeks of no alcohol so it will be water and tea for me until then, as well as my morning coffee which I'm drinking right now. Happy 2022 to you xx

Iris Flavia said...

I was thankful fireworks were forbidden again this year in Germany.
Better for animals, environment and old people who go to bed early (aka us).

Valerie-Jael said...

Interesting post, Mae. I don't drink any alcohol, and went to bed quite early on New year's Eve! Have a good, new year! Valerie

DVArtist said...

I don't drink hard liquor or wine. I do have an occasional ice cold beer, but not on holidays. I was never a drinker in a crowd. I always wanted to be in control of myself. I was up at midnight only because I had to go to the bathroom. LOL

Jeanie said...

We did make it to midnight -- though we both thought we'd bail long before then. But we were at our friends and the conversation was lively and thought provoking. No champagne but we did have Mark's traditional family New Year's Bourbon punch recipe. It was very good -- I had never had that before and don't think I'd probably have it regularly but for a festive time it was great. Then it was hot tea or decaf! I rarely do mixed drinks, though it's kind of fun if the occasion rises. For me, it rarely does!

My name is Erika. said...

With all the flavored alcohols you can now buy (compared to the 1980's), there seems to be a whole new variety of drinks. But as seems to happen, things come back into style again. This was an interesting read, and I wonder what will be popular in the near future. I hope you have a great first T day of 2022, and happy week 1 of this new year.

kathyinozarks said...

Interesting post-we don't do parties like that.
I watched the country music new years eve party in Nashville on the tv-watched the fireworks across the lake at midnight sitting on my couch-and drank a small glass of wine-

Laurie C said...

I've gotten into the craft cocktail craze over the past 2-3 years -- a good hobby for the pandemic! We don't drink much when we go out, but I do like to try an interesting cocktail off a drinks menu. I've noticed a lot of the "classics" coming back, with maybe a contemporary twist or just more expensive ingredients!

nwilliams6 said...

Very interesting post, Mae. I am very interested in the elaborate drinks but they are not really for me either. With the rise in cases I hope people are doing more of the at home mixes! Happy T-day and Happy New Year. Hugz

Linda Kunsman said...

Hubby and I did stay up very late and yes we did have champagne. We have always had champagne at midnight and set a few intentions and wishes for the new year. We watch some old classic movies rather than the ridiculous NY Eve party shows on cable.
Happy New Year and happy T day!

Empire of the Cat said...

Happy New Year Mae! I think since Auld Lang Syne is Scottish, Burns would probably have been drinking whisky or ale at the time he was writing it and celebrating with a crowd of his cronies in a local (to me) pub. I live in Burns country :) I gave up drinking alcohol a while ago so I celebrated with some alcohol-free prosecco, but in the past I would have loved some good red wine, or Amaretto is also delicious on its own. There is no way you would get me in any kind of enclosed public place like a bar or even a restaurant at the moment, not until things have settled down and we are back to normal if we can be, so I don't blame you at all for not visiting any. Warm Winter Wishes and Happy New Year T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Carola Bartz said...

We welcomed 2022 at midnight together with two very good friends we had dinner with and shared interesting conversations. Yes, we had a good bubbly - I like bubbly just as I like good wine. I absolutely don't drink any soda, I prefer water. Sometimes I do enjoy a cocktail, but I don't like to go to bars, I hate being in crowds (no crowd drinking for me) and I won't go to a restaurant anytime soon. Happy T day and Happy New Year to you, Mae.

Lisca said...

Interesting muse about cocktails. I don't think I have ever had a drink mixed by a bar tender. I sometimes mix drinks but it will be something mundane like gin and tonic or rum and coke. I've also mixed Cava (fizzy white wine) with orange juice to have for breakfast after a party.
This year we had no alcoholic drink at New Year's Eve as hubby is no longer drinking alcohol (although he is not on chemo anymore, he has got out of the habit and the alcohol free beer here is very nice).
Happy T-Day,
Stay safe,
Hugs,
Lisca

Kate Yetter said...

I never make it to midnight and I also have never attended a New Years celebration. Guess it is not a big deal to me. But maybe next year will be the one that I celebrate.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Mae Travels said...

Hi Everyone — thanks for all the updates about your NYE celebrations. It’s fascinating how many different ways we spend that evening. I hope next year will be more normal so people who like a big wild evening can do it safely, as well as those of us who shut down well before midnight. And happy beverages of all sorts for the coming year!

best… mae

CJ Kennedy said...

We did stay up for New Year's Eve to welcome the year with both our girlies who were home for the holidays. The Eldest and I toasted in the New Year with pink Prosecco. Something special for her and her first visit back home in 3 years. Pink is her favorite color. The Young One and Himself toasted with sparkling grape juice as neither of them drink alcohol. After the ball drop and the toasting, we went to bed and left the girls to chat and catch up. Happy T Day

Kitchen Riffs said...

Fun post! I'm actually going to be doing the Golden Cadillac on my blog this summer (as part of my summer sippin' series). :-)