Wednesday, September 04, 2019

When you’re leaving town...

What to do with vegetable bins full of late-summer produce when I'm leaving town tomorrow?
Reader, I roasted them.
Left: potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, one small dark-green pepper which turned black when roasted.
Right: eggplant, celery, onion, garlic.


The tray of eggplant, with some tomatoes and tomato juice added, went into the freezer for winter. The potatoes will be our dinner. Not pictured: I had some fabulous parsley, which I made into a pesto-like dish with breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese (also in need of being used up!), and oil. I froze some and we ate some for lunch folded into an omelet. I hate to waste food.


This blog post © 2019 by mae at maefood dot blogspot dot com. 
If you see it elsewhere, it's been stolen.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Great idea! I hate to waste food too.

bermudaonion said...

Looks yummy!

Angie's Recipes said...

Roasting is my favourite way to make veggies as it brings out the best flavours of them. These are very yummy.

Jeanie said...

We're eating down the fridge here today, too! Some things can stay for another couple of weeks but others, home, home, home or eat, eat, eat!

Sherry's Pickings said...

yes i always run around freezing food before we go away. it gets to the point where i just chuck things in there and hope for the best:)