Friday, November 02, 2007

"The Fortune Cookie Chronicles"

Here is the book I plan to read next: The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food by Jennifer 8. Lee. It arrived in the mail today.

I'm especially looking forward to Chapter 7: "Why Chow Mein is the Chosen Food of the Chosen People." I can't wait to see whether she agrees with my speculation about Jews and Chinese food.

At the lower edge of the cover in the image at right, you can see the words "ADVANCE READING COPY - NOT FOR SALE - TO BE PUBLISHED IN HARDCOVER - MARCH 2008"

How did I manage to get an advance copy? Well, for a while I've been reading Jennifer 8. Lee's blog. (Same name: The Fortune Cookie Chronicles). A couple of weeks ago, she invited her blogging blog readers to apply for a proof copy of the book and review it in their own blogs. I'm among the chosen!

I'm already convinced that I'm going to like this book, because I like her blog. Further, Jennifer 8. Lee's articles in the New York Times are often on topics I like and are written with an approach that I like. (Reporting for the New York Times is her day job. And if you wondered, the middle initial 8 connotes prosperity in Chinese, says the publisher's note at the front of the book.)

I'll be posting my reviews here as I read the book. It's edged out Krugman's Conscience of a Liberal which I was about to start reading.

No comments: