Wednesday, January 31, 2024

In My Kitchen, January 2024

We started the year in Costa Rica, as I’ve said, at the birding lodge called Rancho Naturalista. I'm starting my January kitchen wrap-up with photos of the kitchen there. 



On the table beside the stove in the first photo are two trays of stuffed baked potatoes, one of the dishes we enjoyed at a couple of dinners. The main Costa Rican dish served from this kitchen was Gallo Pinto, which was offered each day at breakfast: black beans, rice, onion, and spices. Several bottles of salsa were always available to flavor the rice and the various sorts of eggs and other breakfast dishes or whatever was served at other meals. The food at lunch and dinner was good, but more North American in style, like the roast turkey dinner for New Year's Eve, or a simple grilled steak or breaded fish filet, almost always with salads and vegetable dishes. (For more about the cuisine, see "What is Costa Rican Food?" in Eater.)

Before breakfast was served, coffee and small snacks were available on the balcony 
where guests gathered to watch the early-morning bird life.

Back in Ann Arbor

Since we returned home, we’ve been trapped indoors by some of the worst weather we have ever lived through. January has been sunless, freezing cold and icy or just chilly and damp, and very depressing. We haven’t seen a ray of sunshine since our return to Michigan. So we have cooked a lot. Here are some photos from our own kitchen and dining room.

A New Sauce from Costa Rica

We bought some of the special Lizano brand sauce that we had in Costa Rica.
Also a new chili sauce from Trader Joe’s.

Soup for Cold Nights

A Costa Rican specialty is Aztec Soup — a tomato and tortilla soup. (link)
This is the only Costa Rican dish we have tried at home.

I tried this dish in Costa Rica-- it's also popular elsewhere in Central America.

Also at home: this corn chowder mainly made from leftover vegetables and a can of cream-style corn.

Weather like ours demands lots of flavors of soup! Mostly, I make soups without a recipe.

Winter Salads

Preparing broccoli salad with the new sauce. No recipe!


Champignons à la grecque: a French classic dish of mushrooms with cilantro and lemon.
We had this as a side dish with chicken legs and vegetables. 
Julia Child's recipe, which I wrote about in the past, is more complicated. (link)




Main courses with or without meat


From Fuchsia Dunlop's book Every Grain of Rice.


Crispy potatoes: we ate them as a main course with a salad. Another New York Times recipe.
I haven't given links to NYT recipes because they are behind a paywall.



Sweet Pastry


A “Pompe” — that is, a large apple turnover in flaky pastry.
Details of the two apple pastries that Len made were in yesterday’s post (link).

These cardamom buns were a nice treat on a snowy afternoon.


Tuna and Salmon for Salads


I make tuna or salmon salad often. No recipe.
Mayo and pickle relish are essential!

New Refrigerator Magnets

From our trip to Costa Rica: magnets of sloths, birds, a bat, and a folkloric painted farm cart.



That’s my kitchen for January — not much new "stuff." I’m sharing my kitchen post with Sherry’s once-a-month blog party “In My Kitchen.” All photos © 2024 mae e. sander.



18 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

What a yummy post!
This is great, with lots of good ideas. I hear you about the weather.

eileeninmd said...

So many delicious meals! The soup sounds yummy. The pastries look yummy.
I like your new magnets. Take care, have a great day!

Lori said...

So much delicious looking food! The sun is out here today and it is a very welcome sight. We've had a lot of rainy, cloudy days also.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You have been cooking like crazy since you got home. I like all the soups. We like to make soup in winter.

P.S. I would not stay home if things were cold and cheerless. If you saw how beautiful it has been this week here along the Texas Gulf Coast, you would probably move here. lol

thecuecard said...

I like your fun fridge magnets and the food looks really good. I especially might want to try to make the aztec soup and the broccoli salad. Both look good.

Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid said...

Looks like you've been cooking up a storm - how about those souper bowls?! Hope February brings sunshine and brighter days!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'd give anything to eat as well as you. What is your monthly food bill?

Sherry's Pickings said...

wow such a lot of good food there Mae. Love that bat fridge magnet too. Cukes in vinegar make me think of my mum who always had a cuke salad doused in malt vinegar when we were kids. I think she was way ahead of her time! Thanks for joining in this month.
cheers
sherry

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your kitchen looks great and I love your refrigerator magnets. All of your food looks delicious.

DVArtist said...

You have a nice kitchen. So much beautiful food. I really like the looks of the Aztec soup. Thank you for sharing the wonder. Have a nice day.

Valerie-Jael said...

Now I am hungry, I would love a soup.... Valerie

Jeanie said...

Does anyone eat better than you two? I don't think so! It all looks fabulous. I love to bring back food from travels too.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Mae, I loved that you shared the photo of your kitchen. It's fun to see where all this wonderful food is coming from. It's interesting that breakfast was: black beans, rice, onion, and spices. Sounds like what we would have for dinner. I am quite a fan of salsa and do use it a lot with rice. Enjoyed you post ! Have a great week.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh gosh those soups look amazing! I'm here in Florida where the weather isn't as bad of course, but soups still make wonderful suppers for us at least once a week. I look forward to reading more about your Costa Rica stay -- it's been high on my bucket list for ages.

Debra Eliotseats said...

There's a TON going on in your kitchen, not to mention your travel photos. Love all the soups and other comforting dishes you posted and glad we're all out of the January winter weather. I hope spring is nigh!!!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Everything looks delicious! We had a winter like yours in 2022, WY got to 35 below. That was enough or too much I am not certain, but we spent so much time in Texas waiting for home repairs from winter damage, we realized we are not cold weather people. I share your soup philosophy!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Hope February brings you better weather!

Unknown said...

I was in Central America for 3 months in 2016 and really loved travelling there! Costa Rica was probably the most touristy of the countries I visited but I found it so beautiful and the people were still very welcoming despite all the tourism. Love your fridge magnets too :) We were joking the other day that one day our son will have to get rid of all our fridge magnets that we have collected over time when we are dead!

xx dreams of sourdough from http://ayearindarwin.blogspot.com