Friday, January 12, 2024

Costa Rica: What I know about food and drink

Diet Coke, of course! We also drank 
lots of fresh fruit juice.

We saw ads for Imperial Beer everywhere! Here shown with two of the ever-present hot sauces.

Whenever I had a chance, I took a few photos of the inside or outside of supermarkets.
Here’s the beer!

A supermarket featuring Imperial Beer.

I especially liked the mural on the wall of this market with several of the birds we were looking for.

The artist’s signature.

A fruit and vegetable stand on a street.

Produce in one of the supermarkets where we bought drinks & snacks.

Costa Rica agriculture is very productive both in tropical fruits and other produce.





Just like at home.


Some of the group with our drinks.

As we walked along rural roads looking for birds, we also saw lots of growing crops.
The chayote (called mirliton in the US south) was growing on a tree.

I also tried to capture the look of the many bakeries.


Two Restaurants

Other than the hotels where we stayed, we ate in only two restaurants, one on the
way from San Jose to Rancho Naturalista, and one on the way back.
This restaurant is located on the road up to the volcano, right near where we saw the quetzel!
I’ve included a few photos of these two places, which feature local Costa-Rican food.

The bar at the restaurant on the way back.






Lunch on the way there: a soft tortilla with a variety of roast vegetables and cheese.

Lunch on the return: trout, french fries (ubiquitous!) and palm heart salad.


I’ve already written about the meals at our hotels, but here’s another photo of
my favorite: tortillas, meat, beans, cheese, etc. And a diet coke!


Blog post and photos © 2024 mae sander

 



9 comments:

DVArtist said...

Ohhhh Mae what a fabulous post. I personally enjoy seeing stores and the foods of other places. This is a brilliant post. Thank you so much.

Lori said...

The food looks amazing!!
Their markets look nice as well. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

Iris Flavia said...

Thank you for the tour, that was very interesting, and ohhh... local food is the best!
When we were in Mexico they had all "European" food for the guests, how boring and sad.

Btw, why do you think of fire? I broke my arm in 1994, got due to a virus a bone infection that took very long to get detected (6 months, the bone was "gone" over 4 cm and they took something out of the hip) - no burning, OMG, I am SO afraid of fire...

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

The local food looks so delicious

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Mmmm that food in the LAST picture!!!! And the trout. I love trout.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love the photos of the markets and food stores.
The food does look yummy. The mural is beautiful.
Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

Marit said...

The supermarkeds, and the food at the hotel looks great. You got me hungry!

My name is Erika. said...

This food looks delicious. I think either you were in a much less rural area than we were, or else groceries stores have come a long way in the 10 years since I visited. hugs-Erika

Sami said...

The supermarkets look very well stocked. The supermarket mural is beautiful. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.