Friday, January 19, 2024

A Murder Mystery With Birds

 

Sarah Caudwell's fourth novel in the Hillary Tamar series, The Sibyl in her Grave, is an amusing and rather arch British mystery, very similar to the first two in the series (reviewed here and here). Like the others, it takes place towards the end of the 20th century (published 2000). It revolves around several legal scholars and lawyers, especially tax and financial lawyers, but is full of very eccentric people. And like the others, the story is virtually all revealed by letters. 

A major eccentric character in The Sibyl is the title character, Isabella, a clairvoyant who makes her living telling people's fortunes. At the start, she moves into a large house in a small English village a few hours outside of London, where she makes major changes to the building in the form of a large bird cage. The local resident whose letter describes this situation describes her first encounter with Isabella:

"The conservatory and the area beyond it had been turned into an aviary, now occupied by a flock of ravens—I don’t know how many exactly, but there must have been at least a dozen. It wouldn’t have been so bad if the French windows had been closed, with the ravens safely on the far side—but they were open, and the horrible creatures were flapping and hopping about the drawing room as if they owned the place. ... I was already more disconcerted than I would have liked by finding myself in the same room as a dozen or so ravens. When I realised that I was also sharing it with a vulture, I came closer to screaming than I care to admit." (The Sibyl in Her Grave, p. 36 & 40).

Within a short time, Isabella dies suddenly and somewhat mysteriously, and the various characters spend the rest of the book trying to work out who her clients were and what information was being exchanged, as the major crime mostly seems to be not murder, but insider trading. Can this make an amusing and suspenseful novel? 

Well, yes if Sarah Caudwell is the author. Her style is inimicable, and her choice of material is totally weird but it ends up very amusing because it's so self-consciously clever and arch. For example, a clergyman in the village, who plays a large role in the story is always worried about sin, and the insider trading aspect of the goings-on preys on his mind. His mental state begins to concern the letter writer who mainly tells the story:

"I know nothing of the complexities of the clerical conscience—is there anything I can do to repair the damage? Would it be possible to persuade him that insider dealing, having been a criminal offence only since 1980, cannot in fact be a sin? Or, if it is, venial rather than mortal? Or, if mortal, still not beyond redemption?" (pp. 182-183). 

Another example and then I'm done. One of the characters is invited to an English country hunting retreat, and is getting his guns ready:

"It was, as I have mentioned, the second week of August: that season of the year when the warm days of summer draw luxuriantly towards their fruitful and abundant climax and there is an almost universal impulse to give thanks in some way for the richness and generosity of the earth; that is to say, in the case of an upper-class Englishman, to go out and kill something." (p. 116). 

Sarah Caudwell's books may or may not be to your taste. They are really quite exaggerated but I think the style has grown on me. Unfortunately, Sarah Caudwell died in 2000, so there will never be any more.

Review © 2024 mae sander

13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds good to me! I will look the author up! Thanks, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

You've been busy reading some good sounding mysteries lately Mae. hugs-Erika

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I have been enjoying the British mysteries, this author is new to me. I see my library has these books available. I'll be reading the first in the series soon. Thanks for the review. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Marit said...

It's nice to read your review. I have not read the novel before.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love mysteries so I'll see if my library has these. I check them out as ebooks and love to read. Sounds interesting!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I think my comment is lost so I'll say again...I'll look for these books. I love mysteries!

Jenn Jilks said...

I shall add this to my list! Thank you for the review.

Iris Flavia said...

Uh-oh! I hope to get some reading done in my holiday!!

Shiju Sugunan said...

Caudwell's Sibyl sounds like a riot! Eccentric characters, ravens, insider trading... all wrapped in wit and quirky Britishness. I'm adding it to my list, even if it's exaggerated - sometimes that's just what the literary doctor ordered! Thanks for the delightful review!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Hmm, murder mysteries with birds, I didn't think of that earlier. Sounds tempting

Jeanie said...

Sarah Caudwell is amazing and I'm sorry there are only four books in this series. I've read them all and loved them. I still haven't decided if Hilary is male or female. I think male. But I'm not sure -- it could go either way, which is interesting. What do you think?

Mae Travels said...

@Jeanie -- I agree that it's hard to decide if Hilary is a man or a woman, and I think that's intentional so no way to know! In this book I thought a woman, but in one of the earlier ones, I thought a man.
Part of the author's odd sense of humor, I guess.

thecuecard said...

It sounds unusual with the aviary of ravens! Crows and ravens I find smart but unnerving ... their squawking