Wednesday, January 10, 2024

At the Feeders

An aracari toucan goes for bananas.

Watching tropical birds at a feeder offers a beautiful look at the many colors and feather patterns. Hummingbirds are the most amazing because their wings become almost invisible as they hover while drinking sugar water. Bigger birds are also quite remarkable: for example, Aracari Toucans scoop out big bites of bananas and other fruit. I found it irresistible to take lots of photos of the birds we saw last week while touring Costa Rica. We saw many birds at the feeders at our hotel, Rancho Naturalista. We also paid a special visit to a location called Donde Cope, the home of José "Cope" Perezin in La Unión de Guápiles a couple of hours by bus from Rancho.

Donde Cope Bird Feeders

When we arrived at Donde Cope, the feeder area was being restocked.

Parakeets.

The normally elusive woodrail likes a free lunch.

A Hoffman's Woodpecker joins the hummingbird for some sugar water.

Long-billed Hermit Hummingbird

Red-legged Honeycreepers.

Female Red-Legged Honeycreepers.

More aracari toucans and another oropendola.


At Rancho Naturalista

View from balcony: the feeders in the garden of Rancho Naturalista, our hotel.

At the hotel feeder.

An Oropendola waiting near the feeder.



Orange-billed Sparrows feeding on the ground.

Pigeons and doves.

Chachalacas waiting for breakfast.

Stanley the somewhat tame coati at the hotel feeder. 


Blog post © 2024 mae sander.
Photos by mae and len sander.

16 comments:

Jeanie said...

They definitely look well tended to!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, the resort has great birds right at the feeders. One does not have to go far to do any birdwatching. You saw a beautiful variety of birds, I loved them all. The balcony would be my happy place there. Take care, have a great day!

Iris Flavia said...

Very exciting - and beautiful!

DVArtist said...

Ohhh this is so cool. I love these photos. What a wonderful place.

thecuecard said...

Wow such beautiful and unique birds! I can't believe you were able to capture the hummingbirds in flight. Those pics are exquisite. I have not been to Costa Rica ... but i should add it to our list.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a fabulous trip and the birds are beautiful and amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your photos!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Wow! Even the birds that partake of your hotel's feeders are amazing. Such a delight for the eyes with those colors and patterns...

Sherry's Pickings said...

that toucan is gorgeous. I am an avid bird watcher so appreciate the bird photos!

Shiju Sugunan said...

View from your balcony is pure heaven! I'd be glued to that spot watching all the feathered drama unfold.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,
I have enjoyed all your Costa Rica birds, what a treat for the eyes.
I love seeing the toucans, they are unique. The Honeycreepers are so pretty.
Costa Rica is a place I would love to make a return trip to see more.
Great post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a wonderful weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Mae :=)
Watching birds from my balcony is what I do, but The Cost Rica birds are much more exotic and their coloured feathers are a vision of delight. The feeding station in both places have a similar structure, and quite unique. I would love to see these birds first hand, but thank you for sharing all the beauty you captured.
All the best
Sonjia.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That Coati is a handsome fellow! And you see all different birds there so it's a treat to photograph them to share with us! Would be a fabulous place to visit!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I lost my comment! But I loved your photos and would be thrilled to visit there!

My name is Erika. said...

You saw so many lovely birds. I would need someone to ID them all. When I went it was a school based program, not a bird watching one. I saw a lot of gorgeous birds though, but never learned what they are. Thanks for sharing. Hugs-Erika

Dean said...

Hello, did you have to schedule a time to visit Donde Cope? I am hoping to visit there when I travel to Costa Rica, and was wondering if there was price to visit?

Mae Travels said...

@Dean — All arrangements for our visit to Costa Rica were made by our tour company, Field Guides, INC, https://fieldguides.com/.
As I’ve said, I have been on a number of tours with them and highly recommend traveling with them. They offer tours to Costa Rica in December of 2024 and 2025.