Friday, October 20, 2023

Baltimore Follow-Up

At the Conservatory in Druid Hill Park.

Earlier this month, we spent a day in Baltimore. Miriam now lives there, and the rest of the family joined us for the day. The following day, we were heading for our birding trip in Cape May, NJ, so I didn’t post everything — here’s a catch-up post.

Miriam and Alice at the Conservatory.
Later in the trip we visited Alice in Charlottesville, which I’ve already written about.

A Farmers’ Market

Baltimore has several local farmers’ markets, which take place on various days of the week. Fresh produce, grown locally, is the centerpiece: we heard one shopper ask for bananas, and the produce-seller explained that bananas do not grow in Baltimore, so no bananas. Besides produce, there are also craft-vendors, bakeries, dairies, prepared food for immediate consumption or to take home, and a few street musicians. This one is an easy walk from Miriam's apartment, and luckily its day is Saturday, when we were visiting.











A Mexican Dinner

After a day of intense touring in Baltimore, we ate dinner at Bar Clavel.





Interior of Clavel (from the restaurant website, https://barclavel.com/)
We ate in this room, which was completely full as soon as they opened at 5 PM.

Alice and Miriam had Tres Leches cake for dessert.

On From Baltimore

After our day in Baltimore, we drove to Cape May for our week-long guided bird trip. I wrote several posts about our birding, but here are a few more photos about our activities.

We took lots of bird photos.

We had a fantastic trip in the Cape May harbor on the flat-bottom “Osprey.”



Blog post © 2023 mae sander.
Photos © by  mae and other family members.


12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
The farmers markets are great, we have a few in my Northern Baltimore County They are held just on the weekends. The mushrooms look wonderful, love the fresh veggies. I love Mexican food but my hubby does not like it, so it is a treat when I talk him into a Mexican restaurant. Great shot of the Sapsucker and I like the last shot of the birders. Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

Jeanie said...

That looks like a fabulous market, Mae. And your girls -- they are gorgeous!

anno said...

Great food, beautiful color, happy smiles, and birders! Looks like all is well in your world -- welcome to autumn!

Sherry's Pickings said...

that farmers' market looks fabulous Mae! all that wonderful produce...

Shiju Sugunan said...


Mae, the farmers' market you visited seems amazing! The variety of fresh produce is impressive. The photos of your daughters are absolutely lovely! And that Mexican dinner looks delicious!

magiceye said...

Farmers market are the best!
Love your capture of the busy birders!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,
Wonderful photos of your Miriam and Alice and the trip to Baltimore and Cape May. I love the Sapsucker, I've been seeing some around here recently.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Iris Flavia said...

Wonderful post! Happy faces and all the fresh produce, hmmmmm. Also I like the statement, bananas don´t grow here so we don´t have them. Local means local. I do believe ours do have, will have a look next time.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The girls are both so beautiful...they have that wonderful natural beauty! And I would go crazy with all the apple choices! YUMO!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I do love a farmer's market.

Happy faces!

Adam Jones said...

So much lovely fresh produce at that market. I found my eyes focusing on the cakes and pastries though. Looks like a great trip to me.

thecuecard said...

Wonderful photos especially of the market. I've been to Cape May once. It's been awhile. I hope you enjoyed your time there.