Friday, October 13, 2023

A Week in Virginia

 At Tom and Evelyn’s House

We are spending several days visiting in Virginia after our recent birding trip in Cape May. Evelyn and Tom have made a number of changes to their house recently, such as painting the kitchen white and replacing the flooring. It’s all a lot of fun to see what’s happening here.

Evelyn and Tom are big fans of the Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama, and they have two wonderful
silk-screen hangings that they recently brought back from Japan.


They saw an art exhibit titled “All About My Love,” which is currently on view in Tokyo.
A few years ago, they saw one of the famous Infinity Mirror Rooms for which this artist is very well known. I enjoyed learning more about her and her work.

Kusama was born in 1929, and her list of accomplishments is huge. This image is from her web page,
where much of her work and life are documented: yayoi-kusama.jp/e/biography/index.html

A New Dumpling Maker

Here’s how it works: there’s a place for flattening a ball of dough.

In a different press on the gadget, you place the flattened dough with a ball of filling.

The gadget folds and crimps the dumpling. It’s actually quite time-consuming!

Evelyn made two fillings: one with mushrooms, the other with pork. She made 64 dumplings.


Dinner: dumplings, stir-fry vegetables, and a few other garnishes.

A Few More Things to Do

Evelyn and Tom are at work most weekdays. Monday, a holiday, was the day we went to the National Zoo in Washington, around 45 minutes from their home in Fairfax. Another day, Len and I walked at Burke Lake Park nearby.

Burke Lake.

The zoo was fun!

I’m also reading a very long and interesting book:
Palo Alto by Malcolm Harris, which was published earlier this year.

And we watched the first two episodes of the new Great British Baking Show.
It seems better than last year, so far, though I slept through one of the showstopper challenges.


Photos © 2023 mae sander

20 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Mae
The dumplings look and sound delicious. Love the Great Blue Heron, the national zoo is one of my favorites. I've been wanting to visit their new bird house exhibit. Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful photos, it souds like a great week with good food, too. I LOVE the dumpling maker, I've never seen one here, so I will start searching Amazon! Happy weekend, Valerie

Jeanie said...

That dumplng maker is pretty cool. I don't have netflix anymore which means no GBBO for me. Sigh. Sounds like you are making terrific use of your time!

Harvee said...

I like trying gadgets; this would make me try the dumpling making, which is time consuming, I think, with or without the gadget.

The Japanese artist is unusual in how she sees colors and objects. I think I've seen an exhibition of her work here in the U.S.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I love to make empanadas, and they seem to be made very similarly to dumplings. I wonder if the dumpling maker would work for empanadas.

I've been watching new season of The Great British Baking Show, too. Even the weakest bakers are excellent.

Bill said...

The dumplng maker is pretty neat, my wife loves dumplings.

John's Island said...

Hi Mae, The dumpling maker is very cool! Thanks for sharing the whole story! John

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post and the dumpling maker looks fascinating and the dumplings delicious ~ yum!

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Cindy said...

Sounds like you are having a lovely time. The dumplings look wonderful. I used to watch The Great British Baking show, but we haven't watched it in several seasons. Have a great week!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Oh my, this dumpling maker is VERY tempting!!

Mark Baker said...

Looks like a great trip.

Joy said...

That dumpling tool looks really handy! Have a great visit!

Joy's Book Blog

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful art and the food looks yummy, too.
Nice to have such friends. And the Lion looks great.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think I need one of those dumpling makers! I will check at the local Asian supermarket where they carry all manner of cooking utensils.

dancewme said...

I love the art work...on your blog

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I love the photo of the Great Blue Heron. It is more like art than a photo! And that dumpling maker. What fun!!!!!

reese said...

I've wondered about a dumpling press--it does make them look nice, but I do wonder if it saves any time.

I'm on my library's hold list for Palo Alto--I definitely want to read that.

The heron in Burke Lake is a great shot!

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

I love dumplings! I've never made them myself because they seem too difficult for me. :)

My name is Erika. said...

It sounds like you're having a lovely time Mae. Enjoy the rest of your visit.

thecuecard said...

Those dumplings look scrumptious. Wow 64 is a lot to make. We made some pasta while in Puglia ....