Sunday, October 22, 2023

An Interlude with Mona Lisa


When things look bad, it's time to see what crazy new Mona Lisa parodies are being created these days. If you are a long-term reader of this blog, you know that for many years, I have been collecting Mona Lisa items, including advertisements, post cards, "decorative" items, and images of Mona on buildings or businesses. 

It's time for a new romp through the internet. You probably also know that my hobby is very DaDa because I don't much bother with anything but the image. Like who made it? Not my thing. 

To start, you can see a Mona Lisa Halloween image that I found by searching randomly. SO this post is also jump-starting my various Halloween posts that I plan to do in the next 10 days, along with sampling whatever trick-or-treat candy I buy.

This image is said to have put Columbus, Ohio, on the map.
Here in Ann Arbor, I've heard a rumor that there's also a football team in Columbus.

Mona Lisa as household decor. Not very imaginative!

A little more DaDa?

Crop Art from the Minnesota State Fair. Also called seed art. Every dot is a seed.

Mona Lisa on a cafe latte is a genre in itself.




AI and Mona Lisa

Looking for novelty in Mona Lisa "art" I tried to see what has been done with AI. As far as I can tell, the insipid, stupid-looking, and very conventional faces that AI generates offer a lesson in what's great and original about Leonardo's creation. Obviously, I can't tell if the defects I perceived are a result of user action or of the software itself. Here's the least-awful example -- at least it has a new focus: Indian food.

Created with AI: Mona Lisa eats Indian food. AI has a long way to go when it comes to Mona Lisa.


The Original DaDa Mona

Marcel Duchamp, the originator of much that is DaDa,
created this image in 1919. (Explanation Here)


15 comments:

Jeanie said...

These are some good ones. Yes, it's a great time for Mona Lisa. (I was so desperate for something not depressing I watched a Hallmark movie last night.)

eileeninmd said...

What a fun post, I enjoyed all the photos and Mona Lisa images.
The seed art is interesting, well done. I like the Ohio mural and the Mona Lisa with the witch hat. Take care, have a wonderful week!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Thank you for sharing these, Mae. Mona Lisa on a cafe latte? Who knew that could be done!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I guess that I have just not paid attention to the variety of Mona Lisa's out there. They are all so interesting but I'm most intriuged with the cafe late. Great collection

Marja said...

Very clever. I like Mona Lisa and what has been done with her haha. I recently made a little video in a cafe where they had an animation running of Mona Lisa drinking a can of beer.
I love the coffee art as well Quite a lot of detail

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Nice Mona in a witch's hat. The seed Mona reminds me of the Rose Bowl Parade where every seed is glued on individually.

Vagabonde said...

I wonder how many renditions of dear Mona you have now, maybe hundreds ? I like the seedy Mona. I also saw a YouTube showing how to paint a Mona Lisa on a small rock.

magiceye said...

Amazing creative interpretations of Mona Lisa!

Bertiebo said...

A nice collection! I saw a few Mona's in a museum in my hometown: https://bertiebo.blogspot.com/2011/11/mona-lisa-mania.html

Iris Flavia said...

This sure was a fun post!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Love these! The coffee is my favourite. You also reminded me that I may have seen one done in Florence!

Sherry's Pickings said...

I think mona lisa is like Frida Kahlo. Everyone uses their image willy-nilly :)

Sami said...

Who knew there were so many "Mona Lisas" I love the one made with seeds.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Sami said...

Who knew there were so many "Mona Lisas" I love the one made with seeds.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

So fun! Can you imagine having that Mona Lisa wall following your every single moment you were using your living room!! This comment is undoubtedly both blasphemous and derivative, but I just realized that the insipid face on the copies (and maybe on the original) looks so much like the face of Jesus Christ on the statues in the little church I grew up attending. (Not the original DaDa by DuChamp obviously).