Wednesday, October 04, 2023

A few more birds

 Today, continuing our tour, we enjoyed birding in several habitats. We walked through a large field with woodland nearby, we walked on the beach for a very short time, and we cruised around the Cape May harbor on a flat-bottomed sightseeing boat that specializes in bird watching. From the boat we saw a number of birds in the marshy area around the harbor as well as birds on the docks. Just a few photos —


Four Gulls and a Skimmer


Terns

Plovers

Pelican

Osprey

Oyster Catchers


Bittern

Saltmarsh Sparrow

Brown Thrasher

A young Red-headed Woodpecker.


All photos © 2023 mae sander

11 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

That was a wonderful adventure! Free as a bird!

Boud said...

Oyster catchers, some of my favorite birds. I used to see them trotting at the edge of the ocean, I guess hunting for food.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

The Skimmer certainly does stand out among his Gull friends.

My name is Erika. said...

You've seen some amazing birds Mae. I didn't know ibises came that far north.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for letting me know what I'm looking at. If it isn't a cardinal or a blue jay, I'm lost. Your photos are phenomenal.

Iris Flavia said...

Great to see. Here in the city... certainly no such luck. Glad I can join your adventures.

eileeninmd said...

What a great bird outing! I love the Black skimmer, the Oystercatchers and the Bittern! Great birds and photos. Take care, have a great day!

Anne in the kitchen said...

Though all are gorgeous photos the one of the Bittern is just magnificent!

anno said...

What a great adventure -- and a beautiful collection of photographs! Looks like a very successful day.

Sherry's Pickings said...

so many beautiful birds. Interesting how american pelicans are so different to ours!

Linda said...

My favorites are the terns and the pelican. I guess I love seeing wings outstretched.