Saturday, October 21, 2023

A Slow Week at Home and Thoughts of War

This week, we are recovering from our long trip to various places in Virginia, Washington D.C, Maryland, and New Jersey, which I covered in several blog posts while traveling. I finished my endless read of Palo Alto and wrote a review of how much I didn’t like it. A few other things I did:

I read the EXCELLENT novel Yelllowface by R.F.Kuang.
How did she make such an unlovely narrator so interesting?

We started watching the seven-episode new season of Lupin.

We continue watching the Great British Baking Show as episodes are released.
Chocolate week was especially delicious looking.

I have been cooking very simple meals, such as this tuna salad made mainly from pantry items,
and an apple-dried cherry salad dressed with lemon juice.

And then there’s the war

Obviously, on my mind all week, and in my repeated checking of the news, is awareness of the war in Israel and its meaning for Jews throughout the world. I am thinking of the barbaric murders of unarmed families on October 7, the hostages held by Hamas, and the continuing situation in Israel and Gaza. At the moment, I feel as if we are holding our breath and waiting for the actual war to begin. 

Since the Hamas atrocities of October 7, the reaction of many people in our country, especially leftists, has been depressing and revealing: verbal attacks on Israel, enthusiasm for the killings of Israeli civilians and even of babies, and wishing an evil fate to all Jews. From the New York Times:

"Progressive Jews who have spent years supporting racial equity, gay and transgender rights, abortion rights and other causes on the American left — including opposing Israeli policies in Gaza and the West Bank — are suddenly feeling abandoned by those who they long thought of as allies. This wartime shift represents a fundamental break within a liberal coalition that has long powered the Democratic Party." (source)

The support for Israel of President Biden is gratifying — I have always been enthusiastic about our President and his leadership. I quote his speech:

"The terrorist group Hamas unleashed pure unadulterated evil in the world, but sadly, the Jewish people know, perhaps better than anyone, that there is no limit to the depravity of people when they want to inflict pain on others."

Leftist enthusiasm for antisemitic violence comes as a shock, as does international violence like the firebombing of a synagogue in Berlin (source), bomb threats to French museums and monuments (source), and a reported 1200% increase in online threats to Jews worldwide (source).

My fears are shared. For example, an opinion piece for the Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz by writer Anshel Pfeffer stated:

"The past two weeks have brought home the realization, for anyone who still hadn’t got it, that there is no safe place for Jews. This is a chilling but absolutely crucial matter for us to understand. From the devastated communities living in southern Israel to Sydney, Australia – where hundreds of Hamas supporters chanted 'Gas the Jews!' – that is our reality.

"It is not only the Israeli government and military that has so woefully failed in safeguarding the lives of Israeli citizens. We are seeing right now multiple governments, local authorities, religious and academic institutions around the world failing to keep their Jewish citizens safe." (source)

 

Tel Aviv, Israel. (From the Guardian.)


17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Mae,

Indeed, your fears are shared. The war is scary, but Israel has to defend their country and people. Terrorism at home and abroad is scary, the left and their news outlets and their cult leader seem to promote acts of violence. It needs to stop, I am not sure how. It was sad seeing the 200 vacant seats at the Shabbat table on the news yesterday. Take care, enjoy your day and weekend.

magiceye said...

The salad looks delicious.
Humans are intent on achieving their goal of extinction, sadly.

Cindy said...

I have not been following the war in Israel very closely. It is upsetting for sure. Someone else was reading YellowFace yesterday, it looks like an interesting book. Have a great weekend!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

What frustrates me is that there never seems to be any consequences for those leftists, even the politicians who do not oppose these atrocities.

DVArtist said...

Brilliant post. From books to movies to food and to your thoughts on the war.

Harvee said...

The Great British Baking Show has so many recommendations that I think I will try watching. Maybe it will inspire me in the kitchen!

I stopped watching the news on TV as it is dreadful and upsetting! I just hope this winds down soon and solutions can be found.

Bill said...

Your simple salad sounds good. So sad that another war has taken humans a step lower. Too much hate in the world these days which is very sad and disturbing.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I am glad to see how much you enjoyed Yellowface. I will look for Lupin.

Mae, I cannot understand the hatred that has been unleashed in the world. I am filled with sorrow when I think about this.

Mark Baker said...

The reactions we've seen over the last two weeks have been horrible. Sad, frustrating, maddening. There is no excuse for it, and it is showing a lot of characters - horrible character.

Iris Flavia said...

It is sad the war overwrites all the good memories you presented.
These wars are too cruel. It´s not about faith, I think, it´s all about power and money and to what cost. Civilians who mind but their own business...
And that goes especially for Jewish people! They do not come to you and say... our faith is the only one, you must join us.
I don´t understand the "hate".
And what does the "winner" want with a destroyed country.
There was an interview this week with Vitali Klitschko, mayor of Kiev. He called it a "Scheiß-Krieg" and was near to tears describing how it feels like seeing the empty, destroyed houses, it´s people left somewhere, lost everything... No job, no nothing... They only wanted to be part of EU, that was their "crime"...
It´s a weird, sad world.
Your salad looks yummy.

JoAnn said...

It's been such a sad couple of weeks... so much hatred is difficult to fathom.

Jeanie said...

I've thought about you a lot and wondered if you still had friends or connections in Israel -- and are they safe? It's a worrying time for the world, but more so, I think, when one has direct connections, whether it is family, friends or even having traveled there. I have a very bad feeling that this is going to get much worse before it gets better. (That salad looks terriff!

My name is Erika. said...

I can understand your thoughts on the war with Israel. There is so much hatred in the world, for what? Hatred does no for anyone, especially the normal average person who suffers because of someone's powerful greed or hate. That books sounds good, and I think the actor who stars in Lupin must have so much fun playing all those characters. It's a fun series. Have a great Sunday. hugs-Erika

Joy said...

Love the Great British Baking Show. I've been holding off on starting the series so that I can watch more episodes at one time.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Mae,
The war has a very clear message - Israel does not have the right to exist and either do Jews no matter where they live. It is very scary. This hatred cannot be tamed when it is their very cause for living!! The support for this type of terrorism and atrocities that we are seeing in Universities is not surprising. A Saudi Arabian Prince donated 20 million to Harvard and 20 million to Georgetown recently.. One article said that Arab countries have donated billions to NYU, Cornell, Harvard and Georgetown over the past 30 years. I think that partially explains the Palestinian support on University campuses. I hope that we will see peace, but it is not likely. the hatred is too deep.

thecuecard said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the Yellowface novel. I enjoyed it too. It's diabolical and fun too. The characters are interesting and over the top ....

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Hang on while I make sure Yellowface is on my Goodreads TBR shelf.  Yes. It is.

Lupin!!!! I love that series!!!!! I'm so happy it's back! 
Both the tuna and the apple salads look delicious!!!!! I'm jotting both of those down as inspiration items as I'm always looking for something like that for a light lunch. Also, love your quilted (?) placemats. 

I am always horrified at the way Jewish people are treated around the world. I support Israel defending themselves against the evil Hamas. I just wish there was a way to get all the innocent, helpless people that had nothing to do with any of it, out of Gaza.