Sunday, December 27, 2009

Lunch in Baltimore

After a visit to the National Aquarium in Baltimore, we walked to Fells Point for lunch at Bertha's, where the specialty is mussels -- these days, the mussels come from Maine (I bet they were once from Chesapeake Bay).

In the lobby Bertha's has a couple of miniature rooms on display.

Bertha's mussels are delicious. We ordered the plain steamed mussels with garlic butter -- mine had added basil. The building is very old with wainscotting, old-fashioned tables, and many old black and white etchings on the walls.

Bertha's kitchen is quite modern.

Just down the block is a gelato store. On the walk back, we stopped at Barnes and Noble, which is in a fantastic re-purposed power station. It reminded me of the Tate Modern. Alice posed in front of the display advertising "Diary of a Wimpy Kid."

I had affogato -- coffee with a scoop of chocolate gelato. Miriam and Alice had lemon and strawberry sorbet.




1 comment:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I'm putting this on my list for my next visit to Baltimore!