Friday, September 15, 2023

Much More than Just a Cookbook!

 

This cookbook was published this week, and I just received my copy!


The World Central Kitchen Cookbook offers a wide variety of recipes, but also many stories about how the World Central Kitchen (WCK), in its 13 year history has helped the victims of fires, floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other disasters. This cookbook provides many really interesting recipes. Introductions to the chapters and to the recipes also tell the story of the organization and photos of the many workers, beneficiaries, and participants in its activities. 

I was interested in learning more about the WCK founder, chef José Andrés, a celebrity culinary personality whose restaurants have been widely recognized. Not content to feed the elite, he explains, he has tried to feed people who really need food. Because his approach is to find culturally appropriate foods for each new location, the recipes in this book are international, authentic, and very appealing. 

World Central Kitchen is a remarkable organization, mainly known for speedy response to natural and human-caused disasters that leave people without food, shelter, and family. WCK has fed people In Puerto Rico and Haiti after severe hurricanes left people homeless and hungry, in Beirut after a gigantic explosion destroyed much of the city, in refugee camps on the US-Mexican border, and in many other affected locations, most recently in Maui after the wildfire last month. WCK has developed the resources and equipment needed to come in quickly and prepare meals for the disaster victims, usually in cooperation with local restaurateurs, local organizations, and local volunteers.

Of many relief organizations, I believe that WCK has one of the most impressive philosophies of how to help. I’ve mentioned them often before. I’ll let you know more about the book when I have prepared some of the recipes!

In 2014, we had lunch at José Andrés’ Mexican restaurant Oyamel in Washington, D.C.
I enormously respect this chef for his culinary AND charitable accomplishments!
By the way, in the lower-right photo Miriam is trying a grasshopper taco.



Blog post © mae sander 2023

10 comments:

Boud said...

This is a very good review! I was too busy cooking from my new copy to write about it, so thank you. My first try is the chicken pot pie, much less exotic than my usual flights of cooking, and very good, all the same.

It's a high energy book, like Chef Andres, just reading about their achievements makes a person tired! A five star addition.

Jenn Jilks said...

I follow them on Twitter! They are good people.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Thanks for sharing the review, I have seen this book advertised.
I did not know about the restaurant in DC. Take care, have a wonderful weekend!

Lori said...

I have followed Andre's career and the work they do at WCK. It is an amazing organization. I'm off to order this book.

Vagabonde said...

I was unaware about this new cookbook. I have known about Chef Andres for a long while and saw him on TV numerous times. I think the first time might have been around 2008 or 2009 on Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservations.” Chef Andres is certainly a generous person. I contribute to his organization. His mission is “To Change the World through the Power of Food.” Actually I have found some of his recipes on his site: https://joseandres.com/recipes/ I’ll look forward to see what you think of the recipes on his cookbook.

Vagabonde said...

I’ll like to add to my above comment. Chef Andres makes a potato chips omelette (https://joseandres.com/recipes/potato-chip-omelette/) – I had a friend at work who would bring an egg for breakfast, break it in a large cup and throw in some broken potato chips, salt, pepper and a bit of hot sauce and then hop! In the microwave. Then bring it back to his desk with a cup of coffee for breakfast (he was not an American, though.)

Cloudia said...

There is a saying about non-profit. Do good organizations:
Big oven small loaf. Another words that they have so much infrastructure and spend so much money but the actual service they provide is puny and comparison. I would say that world kitchen is the opposite. It is a tiny oven that keeps producing food for thousands of people. They are a great example to all of us. And yes, they were here in Hawaii on Maui within days of the fires. Wishing you a beautiful weekend my friend. Aloha

Iris Flavia said...

Why. Just why do you post this? Now I want to have it! It sounds super-interesting and I just bought 5 books!!!
I think I need to avoid your blog, it´s as dangerous as our local book store. Kidding.
Now. €35 for real. Kindle 11,99. Ordered the real thing.
You need to send me time, please!
Thank you, I look forward to read it. The owl-book cries as much as the one on Pizza and Sandwiches along with the German ones...

Jeanie said...

Several people have been writing about this one. I really like him -- it sounds wonderful, too!

anno said...

What an interesting organization! I'm looking forward to hearing more about the recipes you discover in this book...