Monday, September 25, 2023

“The Last Devil to Die”

The Thursday Murder Club is at it again, with a new novel, which begins at Christmas just last year. You know it was last year because two of the characters watched the king’s Christmas speech. That would be King Charles, whose first Christmas as king it was. They thought he did a good job.

The Last Devil to Die is full of amusing tidbits, just like the previous three volumes in the series. Numerous cups of tea are drunk, numerous cakes baked and eaten, especially by Murder Club member Joyce — though there’s also a Battenberg baked by one of the suspects.

A Battenberg from the Great British Baking Show.
Joyce’s bakes remind me of this quintessentially British food show!

“I am going to make a pavlova later. But with mangoes,” Joyce writes. (p. 349) 

“You can’t rely on the food,” says Joyce, unpacking a Tupperware box of chocolate hazelnut brownies.” … “Is it true that Pauline puts marijuana in her brownies?” asks Joyce. “She does,” says Ron. “Marijuana and coconut.” (p. 324) 

“It will be Joyce, and she will have cake, Bob,” says Ibrahim. “I am sure of it.” (p. 219) 

“I’ll be round with a lemon meringue and a notepad,” writes Joyce about a new neighbor. (p. 53)

While hunting for the murderer of one of their friends, these pensioners are always having meetings that involve light refreshments. Their choices are sometimes trendy; for example, when an intruder looks in Joyce’s refrigerator he sees  “Almond milk. Joyce moves with the times.” Although usually not very domestic, Elizabeth on one occasion makes tea at Joyce’s apartment; she uses the almond milk, but is dubious about its appropriateness. Joyce’s daughter, when asked about using almond milk, calls her mother “officially a hipster.” (p. 161 & 348)

Author Richard Osman drinks a mug of tea (source)

Richard Osman’s version of the cozy mystery genre appeals to me because it's done with such a light, humorous touch. Along with the tea and cake, Osman does serve some grizzly violence and lots of danger, which offsets the cuteness. The four original members of the Murder Club — Elizabeth, Joyce, Ron, and Ibrahim — search for the vicious killer of their friend as more bodies pile up somewhat mercilessly, but they don't lose their analytic skills or their taste for a mug of tea. They follow the evidence and search for a mysteriously missing cache of heroin, several desperate drug dealers, and some unscrupulous antique sellers and art forgers. Plenty of action.

The satiric nature of this novel is offset with passages of heavy pathos, deep grief, and genuine tragedy. As in each of the previous books, several chapters consist of Joyce’s diary, which is very insightful and often leads to solutions to the crime puzzles the group is working on. But also in her thoughts we learn of Joyce’s deep mourning for her late husband, who had died several years earlier. 

In each of the Thursday Murder series, Elizabeth’s beloved husband Stephen is sinking deeper and deeper into dementia. In The Last Devil to Die, his condition, which has become unbearable, is described in great detail -- very painful reading! This book sees a kind of conclusion and a very great amount of suffering for everyone, especially the brilliant and usually resourceful Elizabeth. Some readers might find the detailed descriptions of a man losing his sense of identity and his memory of himself and of his friends and even of his wife to be a bit mawkish, but I thought it was done with skill and a fair amount of tact.

If you liked the earlier books, I think you’ll like this one. The mainstream publications I read haven't yet reviewed this just-published book, so I can't compare my reaction to that of the professionals!

Review © 2023 mae sander. Photos as credited.
Shared with Elizabeth’s blog.

19 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Mae. I admit. I kinda skipped this. Because...
Dangerous!!!

Harvee said...

Interesting that the book has so much about dementia. I guess the oldies who read the series might be more interested in that aspect of the characters' lives.

DVArtist said...

Sounds good. But that cake is so pretty. Have a nice day today.

Valerie-Jael said...

I love Osman's books, I have enjoyed them all! Valerie

eileeninmd said...

I just finished reading this book last week. I like the characters and the story. Take care, have a wonderful week!

My name is Erika. said...

I just finished reading that book last week, and I really enjoyed it. I love how you shared the Battenburg cake. And I agree osman did a very good job with Elizabeth's husband's dementia. Have a great T day mae. hugs-Erika

nwilliams6 said...

Sounds like one to be added to my reading list for sure. I have watched several loved ones suffer through dementia - it is very sad. Thanks for the review and the fun pictures, Mae. Happy t-day and hugz

Helen's Book Blog said...

I have really enjoyed this series and look forward to this one. I like the combination of mystery, humor, and real issues. Have a great week.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My library has at least the first three books, but they have such a demand for them, I ended up being number 43 on the list. They even bought more of the books because they are so popular. I look forward to reading the first one and hope to work my way to the rest. Thanks for this review and the tea inspired entry for T this Tuesday, dear Mae.

Kate Yetter said...

I haven't been reading a lot as of late but I will add this to my list. Battenberg cake is so pretty to look at. Maybe someday I will make one.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

CJ Kennedy said...

Sounds like fun. I used to have a ring mold to make round checkerboard cakes. Always fun as a surprise for the girlies when they were little. Happy T Day

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Mae, loved your review. I have the audiobook and the hardcover because it was so cheap at the supermarket (£11) and I have listened to it three times now lol. It is also our book club book so we will be discussing it soon. I thought the dementia was handled very well, not at all mawkish. If you have the audiobook, there is an interview with the author, who talks more about it.
BTW traditional Battenburg cakes are always pink and yellow. The chocolate Battenburg they made on the GBBO was a special and I had to make one at the time, but of course I had to make a vegan version for me. It turned out well and we had it for afternoon tea one Sunday. Oh nearly forgot, there is another book that features someone who is suffering from dementia and I thought it was very well done. I read it some years ago. It's the second book in the Lewis trilogy by Peter May - The Lewis Man. Happy T Day! Elle xx

Lisca said...

Chocolate Battenburg! I've never seen that. (It's usually pink and yellow). I bet that tasted lovely.
Thank you for the book review. I know Richard Osman from the game show (Pointless)on tv, but I have never read his books (although they are on my wish list).
Dementia is awful. My dad slowly lost his 'marbles' and that was hard to watch and very difficult for my mum to cope with. I lost my dad long before he died. Yes, I remember reading The Lewis Man.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

This is a mystery series I think I might enjoy. I've added it to my list. Thanks for the review, Mae.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention, there must have been some form of dementia in my grandmother's family because she always said she didn't want to live in a state of not remembering who she was. Her mind was one of her greatest asserts. She read all the time to keep her mind sharp.

Divers and Sundry said...

The book sounds interesting. I'd enjoy the cake, but someone else would have to bake it ;) Happy T Tuesday!

anno said...

I've enjoyed this series very much, and I think Osman is at his best when capturing the resilience -- and challenges -- of marriage and friendship in old age. This sounds like one I need to add to my list.

Spyder said...

Love his stories, we often used to listen to them on long journeys in the car so will look out for it.The lady reader was brilliant at doing all the voices! so hope there's an auto disk too! Thank you for your visit.Happy T day ((Lyn))

Jeanie said...

I just love this series. It will probably be awhile before I read it, though, but I'll look forward to it! Seeing the Battenberg cake reminds me I haven't made one in a long time. I think I'd better do one soon, before I forget how!