Saturday, September 02, 2023

Food Poems

I never read poetry. But the other night, I decided to look on the site of the Poetry Foundation for poems from the magazine Poetry. I found two enjoyable poems about food. I’ll tell  you about one of them now, and maybe about the other one another time.

I was amused by some of the stanzas in a very long poem titled “Grapes,” which was published in April of 1927. The author is Ellen Glines, who published a number of poems there between 1924 and 1930, and that’s all I know about her — one or two mentions in an internet search yield very little other information. Here are a few lines from the poem.

Strange, the things that folks will eat,
Costly, exotic, piquant, sweet:
Truffles, snails, and nectarines,
Cashews, palm-hearts, madelines;
Pies of squash, mince, custard, apple;
Haggis; Philadelphia scrapple;
Syrupy kumquats stewed in crocks;
Bonbons from a tinselled box-
Sugared violets, nougat, divinity,
Hand-dipped chocolates to infinity!
Ripe olives, blutwurst, marzipan,
Sweet potatoes out of a can;
Anchovies, reed-birds, Camembert,
Stuffed celery, alligator-pear,
Rainbow ices in fancy shapes!
Nobody seems to care for grapes.


As I said, these are only a few of the lines from the poem, in which the author expresses her regret that “grapes” she had grown are not wanted by anyone. I take these grapes to be a metaphor for her poetry, which was evidently not particularly popular. The poem ends by saying that some day she thinks there will be a demand, but by then, she won’t want to sell grapes any more. As always when I interpret a poem I doubt my own ability to read poetry. Maybe the poem means something entirely different. The author is so incredibly obscure that no one seems ever to have published any other opinion, though.

I looked at a few of the other poems that Ellen Grimes published in Poetry Magazine. They didn’t seem to share the humor and light touch of the list of world foods that I quoted. In fact, they seemed a bit melodramatic and heavy to me. Maybe that’s why she’s so thoroughly forgotten.

Saint Paul, Minnesota: Poetry on the Sidewalk

Sidewalk poem that I photographed in Saint Paul in October, 2012. (Photo © 2023)

As I thought about my own encounters with poetry, I remembered a great poetry place: St. Paul, Minnesota, where I visited family (who were there temporarily) in 2012. A very special contest has been held in St. Paul every year since 2008: the Sidewalk Poetry Contest. Every year the winners' poems are embossed in the sidewalk blocks as they are repaired by the city. By now, around 1200 poems have appeared on the sidewalks of St. Paul.

A St. Paul sidewalk poem, embossed in concrete. (source)

"The submissions featured from this year’s [2023] contest encompass the diversity of St. Paul,
with poems in English, Hmong, Somali and Dakota." (source)


Review © 2023 mae sander
Magazine cover and verse from the Poetry Foundation website.

22 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Any combination of food and poetry is a winner in my world!

eileeninmd said...

I like the sidewalk poems. Especially the one starting with "a little less war." Have a great weekend!

Iris Flavia said...

I´m not into poems, but this was a yummy fun!
Blutwurst made me laugh.
I do care for grapes. With cheese.

My name is Erika. said...

I like poetry, not that I sit around reading it all the time. I like how a good poem doesn't need sentences, and can have rhythm, be full of images, and say a lot of far less words than I usually need. :) hugs-Erika

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I never studied literature deeply or widely in college, but as an avid reader and a librarian, I say you may draw whatever meaning you like, whatever feeling you like from poetry, and share your thoughts about poetry with confidence. Sometimes I want to close down all the classes headed up by teachers who undermine our love for words, for poetry, for literature, who undermine our confidence in our own thoughts about words, poetry, literature. I get very frustrated with people who tell little children they are too big to read picture books anymore, who write big red Xs through young people's thoughts about books, who require people to read books that are tedious and archaic and petty...

Oh dear. I'm ranting a bit. What I really meant to say was that I encourage you to read poetry and draw from it whatever you wish...end of rant.

Tina said...

I don't read poetry either. Loved Deb's comment :-)

Boud said...

I like the concept of the poems on the sidewalk. Funny that a friend in st. Paul, a poet, has never mentioned this. I'm glad you did.

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

This is fun!
I love very short poems, and mostly on nature. So haiku work very well for me.
Poetry in English tends to be too verbose for me.

Harvee said...

I enjoyed reading "grapes," made me hungary for the foods she listed!

I have a few books of poetry old and new on my shelf that I look at now and again.

You might like the clever and very witty poems of Dorothy Parker whose work can be found on poems.org. Here is one of her best known ones.

A Very Short Song
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Tumblr
View print mode
Copy embed code
Add this poem to an anthology
Dorothy Parker
1893 –
1967
ONCE, when I was young and true,
Someone left me sad—
Broke my brittle heart in two;
And that is very bad.

Love is for unlucky folk,
Love is but a curse.
Once there was a heart I broke;
And that, I think, is worse.

Harvee said...

Sorry, I meant poets.org as the website to read free almost all the poets, new and old.

Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Cindy said...

Nice post, thanks for sharing!

Joy said...

I don't read much poetry, either. Although, I like songs with terrific lyrics that are really poetry (RIP Jimmy Buffett).

I enjoyed Harvee's contribution from Dorothy Parker, too.

anno said...

What a wonderful find: a poem about "grapes"! And I love the idea of featuring poetry on sidewalks... I wonder if anyone has been so struck by a particular line that they collided with someone else similarly engaged.

Myself, thanks to an enthusiastic professor who introduced me to Browning and Tennyson and Arnold, I enjoy some poetry a great deal, and I get a fix of it everyday through Writer's Almanac and The Paris Review.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Fran Lebowitz has me looking down to see plaques in the sidewalks and now I will also be looking for poetry in the sidewalks!

JoAnn said...

I always mean to read more poetry, but rarely follow through. Maybe a good anthology to dip into is the way to go... The food poem made me chuckle, and I really love the sidewalk poems!

Jenn Jilks said...

I used to write a lot of poetry! I am not too happy reading it, lately. Even with a short attention span!
I do like reading poems from tombstones.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Quite unusual murals. It is nice to read a bit of sidewalk poetry, something new and totally unfamiliar to me.

Sami said...

A very quirky poem. Love the poetry sidewalk project, very clever!
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Laurie C said...

This post presents so much to ponder! (Ha! That sounds like it could be the first line of a poem! Second line = "But who does not like grapes, I wonder.") I love the sidewalk poetry, which makes St. Paul seem like a very enlightened, cultural city.
https://baystatera.com/sunday-salon-in-nashville-9-3-23

Rachel @Waves of Fiction said...

I don't read much poetry either, but I think it's neat they have the sidewalks filled with poetry in Minnesota. I always wonder if I'm getting the correct message when I read poems, as well.

Literary Feline said...

I am not familiar with this poet, but I do like the excerpt you shared. I enjoy reading poetry from time to time and even write it occasionally (nothing I'll likely ever share with anyone but my journal).