Sunday, September 10, 2023

Drinking Water in Art


A woman drawing water from a well
from De Universo by Rabano Mauro, 1023

Diego Velázquez, "The Waterseller of Seville," 1620.

Jean Siméon Chardin, "Water Glass and Jug," 1760.

Francisco Goya, "The Water Carrier," 1812.

Katsukawa Shunkō, "Three Water Carriers at the Shore." Around 1800.

Utagawa Kuniyoshi, "The Maidservant Hatsu-Jo Drinking Water," 1841-1842.

Pierre-August Renoir, detail from “The Luncheon of the Boating Party,” 1880-1881.

Henri Matisse, "Still Life with Lemon" (Nature morte au citron), 1917.


Diego Rivera, detail from murals at Detroit Institute of Arts, 1932-1933.

Pablo Picasso, “Glass and Pitcher,” 1944.

Roy Lichtenstein, "Still Life with Lemon & Glass," 1974

Street Art from Philadelphia's "Drink More Tap" campaign, 2021. (Source)

Last week, I wrote about how pure drinking water is essential, but often ignored, in modern life, and how millions of people in the world lack access to this necessity. See my post: “Water: a Privilege.”  Writing about drinking water made me curious about how it’s been represented in art in various eras: as I searched for these images I found it much easier to locate art works about wine than about water! I’m sharing this with Sami’s blog where art in the form of murals is celebrated, and with Elizabeth’s weekly celebration of beverages.

Blog post © mae sander; art from Wikipedia and other collections.

19 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful art work and murals.
Have a great day and a happy new week!

Suzanne Yester said...

I never really paid attention to water in paintings. It's so interesting to think about and see all the examples you have. Especially in The Luncheon of the Boating Party! As an art history major in a former life of mine, I think I missed the boat on that! Have a great week and thanks for a thought provoking post!

Suzanne@ Chick with Books

roentare said...

This is so fabulous collection of arts about drinking

Literary Feline said...

This is quite a collection! I never really considered water in paintings. It's such an essential resource it makes since it would often pop up in art. Thank you for sharing!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was amazed at how many of these paintings included a lemon. You have certainly given us a history lesson about water in art through the ages. These are all wonderful. I came to see the murals and street art, and was so pleased that you also shared this with us at T this week, also. Thanks for that.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I tried to leave a comment before but got a Whoops which would NOT let me refresh.

I was quite surprised at how many water paintings included a lemon. You have certainly given us a wonderful visit of water through the centuries. Most remarkable.

I came to see the mural and street art and was THRILLED to read that you are also sharing this with us for T this week, too. Thanks for this amazing post on the history of water in art.


reese said...

What a great collection of pictures! I really want to go see the Detroit Institute of Art one of these years--I think you're quite close--but it's also not so far from Toronto...

Bertiebo said...

I like the murals, but this post is so much more interesting because of your water finds.Quite a collection:thank you!

Sami said...

Amazing how you found so many art works with water!
Water is essential for our body and sadly many people don't have access to drinkable water.
Nice mural too, love the inclusion of the pink flowers, really pops.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Mae.

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

I really like the street art, what a great campaign!

Wishing you a wonderful week

My name is Erika. said...

I didn't know drinking water was such a common theme in art. You found a great collection of wonderful art on that theme Mae. I hope you have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

You have assembled a great variety of cultural art. They are all lovely!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Iris Flavia said...

Seems people were grateful for water always. Sad many take it for granted now. Don´t see or know how many struggle for it.
I just bought another set of "easy WATER". It came with a note, "it´s the little things in life we should be thankful for".
Little...

Valerie-Jael said...

I love the paintings with water! I like tap water, and drink a lot of it, I have bottled water for visitors if they prefer it. We grew up with tap water in England, and I was surprised that in Germany everyone drank bottled water! In the meantime most towns have now installed drinking fountains so that people can drink more and keep hydrated in the increasing heat.I think it's a pity that restaurants refuse to serve tap water! Happy T Day, Valerie

Empire of the Cat said...

My favourites are the Utagawa and the Renoir. Happy T Day! Elle xx

CJ Kennedy said...

A fun and unique way to interpret the T Day theme. Happy T Day

DVArtist said...

Yes, I read your post about water and the art with water is brilliant. Have a lovely day.

jinxxxygirl said...

Conveying water in art is a real talent! Really enjoyed the pics Mae. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

nwilliams6 said...

Great water carrying/drinking art, Mae. Made me thirsty!

Lovely post and I have thought of your post last week several times. TFS.

Happy T-day very late. Hugz