Thursday, June 29, 2023

Our World is Turning Black


As I write, the "PM2.5 concentration in Ann Arbor is currently 13.3 times the WHO annual air quality guideline value." Yesterday, Detroit's air quality was the worst in the entire world, and visibility was terrible. Today it's only second-worst in the world, with Chicago at number one.

Were the Rolling Stones predicting this in 1966 when they said:

"Maybe then, I'll fade away
And not have to face the facts
It's not easy facing up
When your whole world is black"

 

NOTE: I know they were not singing about air pollution. But I keep thinking about "the sun blotted out from the sky" when I look out my window today.

7 comments:

Lori said...

I'm in Southern Illinois and it has been bad here since Tuesday night. Today seems a bit better. Stay safe.

Helen's Book Blog said...

As you know, So Cal is quite used to the blackened skies and horrible air quality from fires, but I do think the current situation is even worse that we've dealt with. I hope it gets better soon!

anno said...

Agreed: it's terrible, and terrifying. The constant haze and lack of contrast just exhausts me; these days, all I want to do is take a nap.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can smell it in Kansas, too. It definitely affects my breathing.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Maryland is seeing the same, horrible air quality from the wildfires.
Have a happy day and a great weekend.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm so sorry that you have to experience this.

Jeanie said...

It's been a rough go. I'm north now. Not as bad, but still a little hazy. It's scary when you dig deep.