Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Korean Cuisine

This library book, Korean Home Cooking by Sohui Kim, has been an inspiration for some
great dishes this month. We are intrigued by the many recipes for Kim Chee, though don’t plan to make it.


The food photos in the book are beautifully styled. Imagine my surprise when the plate for a tofu dish (left)
was exactly like a plate that I’ve had for many years (right).

I made some tofu and also delicata squash to go with the sauce in the recipe. Delicious!

Again, the image from the book and my plate, with the tofu and squash arranged on it.

Miss Kim Korean-Style Restaurant

We had a nice dinner at this local Korean-style restaurant. The chef/owner
is very creative with Korean-inspired cuisine.

Ji Hye Kim, the owner of Miss Kim, has been a semifinalist in the Outstanding Chef category of the James Beard Award and in the restaurant category, as well as receiving recognition from the Food & Wine and Eater lists. The restaurant, founded in 2016, is part of the Zingerman’s group of Ann Arbor food establishments. We find the cooking, the atmosphere, and the service at this restaurant to be quite enjoyable.

A complimentary appetizer (banchan) —
 grated carrots with coriander.

A lovely asparagus dish served with pecan halves.


Fantastic stir-fried broccoli with a slightly sweet sauce.

Tteokbokki — Korean rice batons. Tasty and interestig.
This was my main course. Len had fish, but it was disappointing.

Dessert seems to be perfectly American: molten chocolate cake!

The Seoul, Korean Restaurant

About a month ago, we ate at The Seoul, another, more traditional Korean restaurant near the University of Michigan campus. We ordered noodles and Korean fried chicken, not Korean Barbecue, their signature dish.I didn’t post any photos at the time, so here they are.

Very nice complimentary appetizers: traditional in Korean restaurants.



Blog post © 2023 mae sander

9 comments:

Jeanie said...

I wish Korean food knocked me out as much as Japanese and Thai. We have a Korean restaurant that Rick likes. I've tried. I really have....

DVArtist said...

Wow! I love how you experiment with so many different cuisines. it all looks so good.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have not eaten Korean food often (lacking opportunity) but whenever I have, I have found it absolutely delicious. The only disappointing Korean restaurant I patronized was in Hong Kong ironically.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm not really familiar with Korean food, but I do love bulgogi and bibimbap. These dishes all look yummy! hugs-Erika

Jenn Jilks said...

We were happy when our small town saw a new woman moved in from Korea. Yummy food.

Iris Flavia said...

What a nice surprise with the identical dish!
It all looks so yummy - but I don´t think we have a Korean restaurant here...
But there are always cookbooks and the internet, right?

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Certainly an odd coincidence about the plate! I have to say all of the food looks really good. I am quite a fan of Asian food but we tend to frequent Vietnamese, Japanese, and Chinese restaurants. I'm going to search out a Korean restaurant (although I'm not sure that we have any in our area) .

anno said...

mmm.... that broccoli dish looks wonderful, the rice batons, too. Interesting coincidence about the identical plates. Maybe these were recipes you were destined to make?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE Korean food. I first experienced it in CA at a Korean BBQ restaurant. As you know, Korean BBQ is nothing like what we in the states think of when it comes to BBQ. Your meals sound great, especially the TOFU in the nearly-the-same plate.