Saturday, February 11, 2023

Waiting at the Airport

Our ship voyage on the Lindblad/National Geographic Venture took us  around the southern part of Baja California, including the Gulf of California (also called the Sea of Cortez) and the Pacific side of the peninsula. The fun is now over, and we are waiting at the airport for a flight to San Francisco followed by a flight to Michigan and home. Here are a couple of photos from our very successful whale watching excursion yesterday. I have many more photos and will document more of our trip later.

UPDATE: Our flight from Mexico to San Francisco was abruptly canceled by Alaska Air. (I’ll never willingly fly them again.) They flew us to LA instead, and we had to go through some stressful times to get on a flight back to Michigan from LA instead of San Francisco. Fortunately, a very helpful and competent Delta agent straightened out our ticket situation without our having to pay for a new ticket. As of now we are waiting in the LA airport, hoping that another disaster does not occur!

A mother gray whale with her calf, which we saw up very close. The baby came right up to our small
boat, and allowed one passenger to touch it. Then it swam under the boat, and when I reached out, 
it sprayed my hand! It was a wonderful end to our trip to look for whales.

Whale watching boats at the dock as we were about to board. We took two trips, each around an
hour and a half, and saw many whales!

From the port where we ended our ship voyage, we were driven over the mountains
to get to the airport— around 2 hours. We are just starting a very long day!

blog post © 2023 mae sander

The Map!


anno said...

What a great awe-inspiring trip -- looking forward to hearing more! (

eileeninmd said...

Great post on the whale watching tours. What a neat experience to have the whale and baby whale so close to the boats. Safe travels home. Have a great weekend.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is so much fun! My brother took me whale watching out of Tofino a few years ago.

Lori said...

Sorry to hear you had challenges getting back home. That does seem common now. Sounds like a fabulous trip though.