Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Escape from the Ice storm

This morning: our plane was deiced and we took off before the epic ice storm hit Michigan.
We will be participating in the San Diego Birding Festival, which starts in a little while.

After we left, over 230 flights were cancelled from Detroit Metro Airport!

Our arrival was on time, our car rental and hotel check in went smoothly, and we feel insanely lucky!
This view is a few steps outside of our room, which overlooks a grassy courtyard.

My favorite California flowers: Birds of Paradise.

Blog post © 2023 mae sander.


9 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Welcome back to southern California! I hope the weather holds nice for you while you are out here as we are forecasted to have some really cold temps up in Santa Barbara

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you missed the ice storm, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Have fun birding in San Diego! Those flowers are pretty, I saw a lot of them in Hawaii. Take care, have a great day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Congrats on escaping just in time. Sounds like you really ARE insanely lucky.

Bird of Paradise and the Bottle Brush Tree are two flora I miss about CA. My favorites, too.

My friend Joseph is now back in CA and he said it was 40 F this morning in the LA area. He also said the prediction was for up to 3 inches of rain today. I hope you are south enough to miss it.

My name is Erika. said...

Glad you could escape the ice storm. Have fun Mae. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

It started snowing and hailing yesterday here in Florence. Now I have 2" of snow. WTH? I live at 75 ft elevation. Those flowers are beautiful.

Jeanie said...

Glad you got out in time. It wasn't too bad here in Lansing but I know some places were really hit. Our birds are hungry this morning!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You were fortunate in your timing, but you deserve it! Have a wonderful time at the Festival. (Love those Birds of Paradise -- even if they aren't the kind of birds to be included in the tours and classes you chose )).

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm so glad that you are participating in this event. Could the weather in the two places be more different? Enjoy.