Monday, February 13, 2023

Beaches

As our ship, the National Geographic Venture, headed around the tip of Baja California, we stopped at a number of very beautiful beaches, where we were often the only humans. The long expanses of sand, the dunes, the birds, and other creatures are just wonderful!

Sand Dollar Beach



Everyone agreed that this beach had more sand dollars than we’ve seen on any beach elsewhere.





We walked across the dunes for around 20 minutes to
go from our landing spot to Sand Dollar Beach on the Pacific Ocean side.


Beach Picnic




S’mores of course!


Coyotes on the Beach

Our guide Carlos pointed out these coyotes that live on the dunes near a beach.



After a very interesting wildlife walk, Carlos sketched a whale on the beach.
 

Birds own the Mangrove Beaches







 

Photos © 2023 mae sander

12 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a fabulous beach. I actually never seen a sand dollar! the coyotes would make me uncomfortable but I always love seeing the local birds !

My name is Erika. said...

These beaches are gorgeous Mae. And you saw frigate birds too. It looks like a lovely place to visit. hugs-Erika

Lori said...

Beautiful pictures. Your beach picnic looks like an amazing time.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a lovely beach! Thanks for sharing it. It makes me happy.

anno said...

The color of that sand is amazing ... and so pure! And all the wildlife, too -- such a remarkable range of creatures! (After coyotes ate all of our ducks, I've lost whatever affection I ever had for the mangy beasts. That, plus their song in the middle of the night is mighty unsettling.)

Great photos, too! I love the objects you captured against the sand; maybe especially sand dollar (which looks just about like the color of the sand).

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love all your beach images. The Sand Dollars are beautiful. Love the seashell, the birds are awesome. I love the Frigatebirds and Green Heron. Neat drawing of the whale in the sand. I hope the Coyotes keep their distance from the people. I sure the food smells good to the Coyotes. Wonderful photos.

Literary Feline said...

These are beautiful photos, Mae. I love the ocean (but not the sand).

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have also never seen so many sand dollars. How great to see all those shells on the beach. Looks like a great picnic, too. What a fun time it looks like you had and you got to make S'mores, too!

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

Really neat, I love the beach coyotes!

Iris Flavia said...

Seems it was really very special! And yummy. And beautiful - thank you for sharing :-)

Sherry's Pickings said...

A fun picnic was had by all:) Interesting how Aussie pelicans are so different to U.S. ones - ours are black and white rather than brown.

thecuecard said...

That looks like a perfect sand dollar, wow! I have not seen coyotes on a beach before. Can they catch fish? hmm.