Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Reading, Watching, Cooking

 Obviously, it’s winter and we are spending a lot of time indoors trying to amuse ourselves. Here are a few of the choices from the last several weeks, some good, some not-so-good.

Alejandro Zambra may be a famous Chilean author. I don’t know.
I hated this book and I can’t imagine why I read the whole boring thing.

I loved “Knives Out” and I loved “Glass Onion.” Both fabulous.
So clever to have a sequel that is totally different from the first film.

Midsomer Murders is back for the 1,000,000-th season. The plots are implausible,
the characters are cartoonish, and I can’t stop watching. It’s cute.
Example: Detective Winter dives into a swiftly-moving millrace and rescues a near-victim.
He comes out, puts a towel around his shoulders, and doesn’t take off his tie.

Inspector Gamache is back. I watched one or two episodes.

New season: "Death In Paradise" -- Len's favorite. I watch inattentively.

Seeking new recipes: Fuchsia Dunlop’s classic cookbook.




12 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I also enjoyed Glas Onion, Knives Out. And I enjoyed Three Pines. I liked comparing the characters to what I imagined them as being from I read the books. I just wish instead of making 4 episodes with 2 stories they either left it at 2 stories or made the episodes to cover just 1 story.

Jenn Jilks said...

You have diverse tastes!
I am liking Three Pines!
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I liked Three Pines, I hope they come out with more episodes.
I missed Knives Out and I did recently watch Glass Onion, I am a fan of the Midsomer Murders. Take care, enjoy your day!

Jeanie said...

I am so glad Midsomer is back! And I'm with Len on Death in Paradise. I don't have Prime so haven't seen Three Pines yet but I get the feeling from her newsletter that Louise isn't overly thrilled, especially with how the characters were done. I do think she liked Molina, though.

Literary Feline said...

I really enjoyed Glass Onion too. I think even a little more than I liked Knives Out, which I also really liked.

Darla said...

I and going to check my library for the book on Chinese cooking. I don't watch much screen so can't comment on that. I have a love for series by Louise Penny though.

Lori said...

I will be spending a lot of time this month with a few cookbooks also. I started Israeli Soul and am loving it. I can't wait to cook a few recipes from it. Enjoy the week!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I've read a lot in the past two weeks and watched very little in television. I'm not sure how you battle through a book you are not enjoying.

Iris Flavia said...

The last one sounds really interesting, but, OH - too many boos and no time (was too tired to read).

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Yours is the second rave review of Glass Onion. Knives Out was delightful.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is a generic copy and paste because I have so many I need to visit. I have been offline since early Tuesday morning. Not only did I lose internet and phone, I also lost heat and electricity. Thank goodness for extra blankets, layering, and two very warm fur babies. Just wanted you to know why you haven't heard from me.

I can't believe how much I've missed. I love Midsomer Murders, but don't have access to the latest ones. Neil Dudgeon said they were the worst show for authenticity. He made it a joke, but it's probably true. Don't have access to Death in Paradise, either.

You and Len eat SO well. I'm amazed.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Love your captions for each. Will steer clear of that first novel. Glass Onion is on my list. Need to check out Three Pines.