Friday, June 03, 2022

"We Feed People" -- A Great Documentary


José Andrés is famous for his restaurants and for World Central Kitchen, an organization that has established emergency kitchens after natural disasters caused food emergencies. A recently released documentary, “We Feed People,” describes how Andrés and his dedicated coworkers created operations after the Puerto Rico hurricane, the Haiti earthquake, the Guatemala volcanic eruption, covid's effects on the Navaho Nation and on American cities, and other disasters. The scenes of total destruction and the sufferings of the victims are overpowering, but the ability of World Central Kitchen to offer humanitarian and empathetic help are inspiring.

The documentary offers an absolutely wonderful view of Andrés, a dedicated and successful chef. He could have simply enjoyed fame, success, and wealth from his restaurants. He could have stayed at home with his wife and children -- but the documentary shows how he constantly left them to help those in need. I've eaten in a few of his restaurants in Washington, DC, so I know what a talented restaurateur and chef he is. But he did so much more! 



I was already aware of World Central Kitchen and its unconventional way of creating feeding operations when much better-funded organizations like the Red Cross and FEMA allowed themselves to be enmired in bureaucratic nonsense. I was aware of the way that WCK always tried to create meals that satisfied the foodways of the local people, and I enjoyed the way the filmmakers stressed this commitment. The drama of overcoming the challenges of driving trucks and delivery vehicles into rushing water or just-erupted volcanic fields or desert roads to out-of-the way villages was exciting and fun to watch, but always with sadness for the victims. I enjoyed the visual detail and the emotional intensity shown in almost every scene.

I loved the cooking scenes!

The documentary was finished before World Central Kitchen's current efforts in the Ukrainian war areas and in the refugee camps just outside the Ukrainian borders. The fact that Russia is creating victims intentionally, and causing suffering like that from natural disasters must make these volunteers really mad. It makes me mad.


Official description: "WE FEED PEOPLE, from Oscar-winning director Ron Howard, spotlights renowned chef José Andrés and his nonprofit World Central Kitchen’s incredible mission and evolution over 12 years, from being a scrappy group of grassroots volunteers to becoming one of the most highly regarded humanitarian aid organizations in the disaster relief sector."

Review © 2022 mae sander. Images from the trailer.

 

14 comments:

Lisca said...

I’ve heard of this chef. I don’t know any of his restaurants but I know of his works when there is a disaster. Good man! He uses his talents to help his fellow man.
Thanks for sharing this.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

DVArtist said...

Yes, I have seen this and other news info on this great man and the team he works with. Thanks for sharing this.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The World Central Kitchen is a wonderful organization. I have recently made a donation, thanks for sharing the documentary. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

Iris Flavia said...

Great there is such wonderful help - sad that it is needed.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I've never heard of him, but his work sounds really fantastic and so selfless.

Lisca said...

Thanks for your comment about web tracking. Do I have to have this enabled? Or should I turn it off to be able to comment? Or is it the person who’s blog I’m trying to comment on that needs to change their settings? It not everyone I have a problem with.

Lisca said...

Thanks for your comment about web tracking. Do I have to have this enabled? Or should I turn it off to be able to comment? Or is it the person who’s blog I’m trying to comment on that needs to change their settings? It not everyone I have a problem with.
Lisca

Gretchen said...

What an inspiring documentary! Thanks for sharing.

Elza Reads said...

A Very worthy cause that we don't always pay enough attention too. Thanks for the post Mae, will take a look at this documentary.

Have a good week ahead!

Elza Reads

Tina said...

Someone suggested him as a feaured chef for the next 6 months at I Heart Cooking Club blog but they voted for Dorie Greenspan. He does such good work.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Thanks, I added it to my watchlist.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Thank you, Mae, for sharing this documentary with us. Sometimes it feels like all the news is bad...It's good to hear about people and organizations who are helping people who are having great difficulties, and who are doing so in such a good way.

Jeanie said...

I so love and admire him. I'll be on the lookout for this.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I totally want to watch this. I keep hearing about this man, but want to learn more. Thanks.