Monday, June 13, 2022

Why Are They Called Coasters?

A friend wrote me a question: Do you know why coasters are called coasters (the mats that you put glasses on, not the smaller ships that hug the coastline)?

My favorite beer-advertisement coaster.

I found the history of the word "coaster" from Etymology Online:

1570s, "one who sails along coasts," especially one who trades from port to port in the same country, agent noun from coast (v.) in its sense "to go around the sides or border" of something. Applied to vessels for such sailing from 1680s.

The meaning "tabletop drink mat" to protect a wooden table surface from condensation, etc., was in use by 1913, extended from bottle-coaster "low, round tray used for a decanter" (1874); it was formerly on wheels and so called probably because it "coasted" around the perimeter of the table to each guest in turn after dinner.

A 19th-century bottle coaster. (source)
 

Once I started reading about coasters, I couldn't stop. Most of the information I found is about cardboard advertising coasters given out in bars and restaurants and the hobby of collecting them. In addition to these promotional coasters, I've seen many souvenir coasters of all sorts in tourist shops throughout the world. Further, traditional artistic or fashionable table settings have included designer coasters made of silver, wood, stone, or glass, including coasters for glasses and for wine bottles. Most people now have coasters of one type or another in their homes, to protect the furniture when they serve drinks.


Mid-Century Modern Dansk Coasters designed by Jens Quistgaard (1960s)


The History of Coasters 

Caution: this timeline is a very weird collection of obscure facts, mainly about advertisements. Most of the information below is from "Who Invented Drink Coasters?" by Alyssa Mertes.

1880s: A German printer named Friederich Horn made the first cardboard beermats with advertising printed on them. Bar keepers loved them because they protected the tables and they were free -- paid for by the advertisers.

1892: In Dresden, wood pulp version called bierdeckels were patented by Robert Sputh. Cork beermats also became popular. Soon alehouses, pubs, and restaurants all had beermats.

1903: The Katz Group (which was originally founded as a sawmill in 1757) entered the beermat business. Over time, they introduced a variety of innovations for manufacturing them, and captured almost all of the market. (source, source)

1913: The first use of the word "coaster." This became the more common term for the increasingly popular beermats and table accessories. As the dictionary says, a "coaster" was originally a round wheeled tray that would "coast" around a table, used to serve beverages. 

1931: An Australian trademark for the Kookaburra Cigarette Paper Tube Manufacturing Company showed two kookaburras smoking -- this image then appeared on coasters. (source)


1939 New York World's Fair: The Ballantine Inn produced coasters that could be mailed like a postcard, with a place for the address written on the back -- and a stamp.


1940s - 1950s: Piel's brewery of Brooklyn, NY, advertised its beer with coasters that had different cartoon characters holding up a glass of beer. (source)



1960s and 70s: Coasters were becoming more popular in England, Australia, and around the globe.

A French Beer Coaster

1979: The Katz group, which dominated the production of advertising coasters, opened coaster-manufacturing plants in New York and Tennessee to make coasters for American advertisers.

A German beer coaster.

2009: The Katz group, still responsible for 60% of European coasters and 97% of American coasters, declared bankruptcy, but they were saved by Kohler, a global paper company. In the US, they produce something like 1.5 billion coasters a year. (source, source)

Toucans: in the Guinness ad campaign since 1954.

2014: The New York Library Association targeted legislators in Albany, New York, by placing advertising coasters in bars where these legislators were drinking. The legislators soon voted to restore $4 million in library funding -- maybe influenced by the coasters. A Restaurant Association later ran a similar coaster-ad campaign in Albany to influence the vote on New York's blue laws.

2016: Over 1000 different advertising coasters were exhibited at the Kyneton Museum in New South Wales, Australia, in a show called "Coast to Coasters." The exhibit included a vast collection owned by an Australian collector as well as a collection of German advertising coasters from the 1950s.

Terry Moore and his coaster collection at his pub.
He loaned the collection to the Kyneton Museum for "Coast to Coasters." (source)

NOW: The Guinness Book of World Records has an entry for the largest collection of coasters: 152,860 different designs from 192 countries collected by Leo Pisker of Langenzersdorf, Austria. Many collectors' organizations and advertisements for collectible coasters can be found by simple web searches. (source)

Coasters from the Kona Brewing Company in Kona, Hawaii.
A wonderful place to have a beer and a hamburger!


Blog post © 2022 mae sander, images as credited.

23 comments:

eileeninmd said...

What a fun post, I like all the coaster images.
Have a great day and happy new week!

Divers and Sundry said...

No, I didn't know _any_ of that. Thanks. I especially like the wooden mid-century modern one you picture.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Who knew there was so much history to coasters?

I especially like the coasters used by the librarians to influence their legislators. Perhaps we need to make use of coasters in upcoming elections...

DVArtist said...

Oh wow! This is a fabulous post. The history of the coaster. Who knew. Evidently you did. ha ha ha. Great research. That guy has a heck of a coaster collection. Thanks for the great post.

Linda said...

Interesting. I had no idea.

Kate Yetter said...

Such a great post. Loved hearing the history of coasters (it makes sense now) and seeing examples of vintage ones.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Linda Kunsman said...

Great post Mae- I love coasters and have collected a few from bars and restaurants along with purchasing some from vacation spots:) Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

This is really interesting. I'd never thought about the history of coasters. I usually paint and craft with mine, and now I think maybe I should have a little more respect for them, even though they often have glass rings on them. Thanks for sharing this. It taught me a lot. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

Carola Bartz said...

We call them Bierdeckel in Germany which more or less translates to beermats. In the German pubs (we call them Kneipe) they are also used to mark the beers you drink. By the end of the evening the waiter/waitress just counts the marks on the beermat that you have to pay for.

jinxxxygirl said...

Hubs and i use the words coaster and deckle interchangeably. This was fascinating Mae. Thank you ! and Happy happy Tday!

Valerie-Jael said...

Here they are called Deckel or Bierdeckel, and if you are in a pub, the waiter makes a mark for each beer you drink so he can add it up at the end! Valerie

Nancy Chan said...

Interesting to read how the coasters came about. I like the 19th century bottle coaster. It is beautiful. If only I had started a coasters collection. I had many but didn't keep them with me.

Iris Flavia said...

Smoking kookaburras?! I had a friend who collected those, too, boy, she had so many!

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a fun post! I love doing my own research to learn something new.
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

CJ Kennedy said...

Who knew? That was such a fun post. I was charmed by the bottle coaster. Thank you for furthering my edumacation. 😉Happy T Day

Lisca said...

A fun post indeed! I loved looking at all the coasters. I used to collect them when I was younger. I can't remember what happened to my collection...
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous, I loved reading about the history of coasters 😁. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Been without electricity since about 6:30 pm yesterday. Never so glad to get my AC and internet back.

Since all my furniture is real wood, I have lots of coasters. They are mostly ceramic, but some are copper. You have given us a fabulous history of this rather common and often underappreciated example of a drink related accessory. Thanks for all your research into this that you shared with us for T this Tuesday.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fascinating post! I have lots and like to swap them around every few months - I have Christmas ones too! Happy T Day Chrisx

Halle said...

That was super educational. I guess I never thought about the origin of the name coaster. I love trivia like that. My friends call me "the keeper of pointless knowledge"...now I have another fact to add to my list. :)
Happy T Day!

Jeanie said...

This is the most fun post! Are the illustrations from your collection? It's a great idea to collect those. I remember saving my Heineken from Amsterdam (somewhere -- it was floating around for a long time!). I never really wondered on the name, though it's interesting but the facts are just delightful! I was surprised that when I ordered my plates (and later other things) from Cath Kidston that rather than including a business card or postcard, she enclosed a coaster. Different for that kind of company but they're really cute!

Mae Travels said...

@Jeanie -- All the images in this post are from web searches, mainly from sites that have the coasters for sale. There's not much use in linking to them, they'll soon be sold and the link will just give an error message. I only own one advertising coaster: I'm not a collector. I got started on this little project because my friend in England really did send that question to me.

... mae

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I've just bought a fun coaster for a friend's 60th, but if I could find one I would get a bottle coaster as it would be perfect for him.