Monday, August 30, 2021

Kool-Aid

What? I’m going to write about Kool-Aid? 

Recently, I saw an old friend that I’ve been out of touch with. She mentioned that she sometimes takes walks in my neighborhood, so I suggested that she should come by. 

“Just knock on your door?” she asked. Sure, I said, and a memory came to me. 

“Like people used to do,” I said. I thought about summer during my childhood. We would be sitting in the living room which was cooler than outdoors. It was hot in St. Louis where we lived: very hot. My mother would look out the window, and see a car parking in front of our house.

“The so-and-sos just got here,” she would say. “Go make a pitcher of Kool-Aid.” 







In the kitchen, I would get out our big pitcher, and put in one can of frozen lemonade, a package of Kool-Aid (usually red), and the recommended amount of sugar on the Kool-Aid instructions, along with water and ice cubes, also as recommended on the package instructions. Sometimes a squeeze of actual lemon juice went in as well. My mother always made sure there were cookies on hand, to serve with it. 

Yes, guests would just drop in. It doesn’t happen any more. Drinking Kool-Aid doesn’t happen any more either. It’s probably no worse health-wise than my favorite hot weather drink now: Diet Coke. Both are examples of very highly processed industrial products that are criticized for their poor nutritional value. I just don’t happen to like Kool-Aid any more.

I'm sharing this odd drink memory with Elizabeth's weekly blog party. This post © 2021 by mae sander for mae food dot blog spot dot com. 

NOTE: My Kool-Aid memories have nothing to do with the now-cliched expression "Drinking the Kool-Aid" -- my childhood experiences were many years earlier than the disaster that inspired that expression.

17 comments:

DVArtist said...

Those were the days.

Valerie-Jael said...

We didn't have that in England, but there was a constant coming and going of friends and neighbours, and nobody locked the door! There was always tea on offer for visitors. Times have changed! Happy T Day, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I never got Kool-Aid as a child, but I sure like your memories. In fact I love this incredible post. I like how memories can be triggered by the most unusual or mundane events. This is a great entry for T this week, dear Mae.

BTW, I bought six or eight different types of Kool-Aid recently. I used them to dye some fabric. You can see where MY mind is (grin)!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Sweet memories. Yes, that's exactly what would happen at our house. One of our neighbors would knock on the door and we'd bring them inside and offer them food and drink.

Miss those days.

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great memory Mae. You are right, no one knocks and drops by anymore. It's sad, isn't it? But I guess the world has changed and safety is such an issue now. I have never had frozen lemonade with kool-aid, but it sounds like it could be tasty. Thanks for this interesting post, and happy T day. Hugs-Erika

nwilliams6 said...

We drank gallons of it when I was younger, but no lemonade concentrate - your version sounds way better. We always had tons of cookies too. Fun memory. I still buy the little plastic bottles of it for my Grandsons - every once in awhile as a little treat. Fun post and happy T-day!

Sharon Madson said...

Yes, that is what we had, Kool-aid. When I baby-sat in the Summers, that is what I gave the kids for lunch with their peanut butter jelly sandwiches.
I miss the days when you just dropped in on people. By the time I was working they were already not doing it. I remember dropping in on a co-worker one time and she was mad at me forever after that, because she hadn't cleaned her house.
Thanks for the great memory; perfect for T Day. Happy t day!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

It's sad people don't just drop by anymore. I've never had kool-aid but your memory sounds wonderful.

Iris Flavia said...

What sweet memories, in both ways.
My W just knocks and comes in. Guess in Germany we are back to the old values?

Lisca said...

What a lovely memory! Thankfully people here still 'drop by', but then I live in a village and old values stil hold. When I lived in italy it was the same. I love it when people come unexpectedly. Like your mum, I añways have cake or cookies on hand (home made) and a cold drink is quickly made.
No, I've never heard of Kool-Aid. I don't remember having that as a child. I think Europe was (mercifully) a bit behind with all the processed foods. I remember going to the USA in the mid seventies. The food was (to me) unrecognisable and I hardly ate anything. I went hungry most meals and my hosts were worried about me. I didn't know the food was processed, but it didn't look like real food. I remember my host asking if I like cucumber, but when it was presented at the table it looked like bright green foam. I'll never forget that. The bread was like chewing gum. I was so naive.
I've just looked up the expression 'Drinking the Kool-Aid' as I'd never heard that one. Now I know. I wonder how they got to that..
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

That brought back pleasant memories. Never thought to combine the Kool-Aid with the lemonade. Himself's mom would mix a packet of lemon flavored ice tea mix with mint flavored ice tea mix. That became a favorite of his mom and my mom's summer beverage sitting outside under big trees. I went looking for Kool-Aid a couple of weeks ago to make slush. Seems everyone has gone to the small liquid bottles of flavoring for water. Thanks for the memories and Happy T Day

Linda Kunsman said...

aaah, yes Kool-Aid and neighborhood friends just dropping in... how times sure have changed. Thanks for taking me back down memory lane. Happy t day!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fun memories 😁. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

Carola Bartz said...

Did your old friend come by?
We didn't have Kool-Aid in my childhood, maybe this is an American thing. But I remember people dropping in, mostly neighbors, and I liked that. I'm not sure whether my mom was so fond of that, especially when she had plans and just out of politeness changed those plans.
This is a lovely post, Mae, I enjoyed it very much.

Empire of the Cat said...

I have never had Kool-Aid but I probably had something similar, the expression about drinking the Kool-Aid is of course known to me. I think I prefer your memories of it lol. Happy T Day Elle xx

Kate Yetter said...

I always wanted Kool-aid growing up but I was never allowed to have it. Now that I am an adult, I don't like it. Funny how that works.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Karen said...

What a "sweet" memory! We had that frozen in a can concentrate too...I wonder if they still sell that?! Happy T day