Thursday, August 05, 2021

Food in Iceland on the National Geographic Explorer

The Icelandic hot dog isn’t very different from the ones I’m used to,
but it was fun to eat it at 11 PM while the sun was setting.

Fish was our choice at most lunches and dinners during our Iceland trip last week. The ship picks up fresh fish on several of the stops in small fishing ports, and the chef, who comes from Sweden, prepared it beautifully. Iceland once depended on fishing for most of its income, and still has many fisheries and salmon farms.

A selection of Icelandic fish: three kinds of herring and smoked salmon.

 














Icelandic lamb is also a delicious choice. Sheep are very well adapted to life on the cold mountain sides of the country, and we enjoyed seeing them everywhere. Along with the famous Icelandic horses, sheep were among the first animals brought to Iceland by the Vikings over 1000 years ago.




The ship’s cooks also created many beautiful desserts, which I almost always ate. Fortunately, the portions served were not excessive!

A “LAVA” cake! Perfect with all the volcanos.


The bread on the ship was nice, but not unusual. At a stop to see the geyser fields, we saw eggs cooked in the boiling water from the hot springs, and also tried bread that was baked by hot lava.


With a Swedish Chef, of course we had meatballs!

Finally, the bus tour that ended the trip stopped for lunch at a hotel around an hour from the airport. Food there was fine — and we had a beverage:
We ate this final lunch with friends we had made on the trip.
Photos and text © 2021 mae sander.





12 comments:

Tina said...

Such beautiful meals, you ought to share with Weekend Cooking. The thought of a sunset at 11 is marvelous.

Story Time said...

Looks delicious! So glad you had a good trip!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My wife visited Iceland with her daughter two years ago and enjoyed t very much. Maybe if COVID ever relents I will get to go there too. Looks wonderful.

My name is Erika. said...

Your food looks yummy. Did you try any skyr?

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

All that fish, my idea of a perfect meal. I wish we got that dark rye flour here.

Anne in the kitchen said...

What beautiful food photos. IT all looks delicious!

Iris Flavia said...

Now that was some food galore ;-)
Looks like you had a great trip, also from the culinary side.

Jeanie said...

I love fish and I don't cook it well. So I always order it if I'm at a place that has good fresh fish. This looks fabulous -- but it all does!

DVArtist said...

Great selection of food. I like all the fish.

Marg said...

I can't begin to tell you how jealous I am that you got to go to another country! We are back in lockdown again for another week at least, and our borders don't look like they are opening again any time soon.

Beth F said...

Yummy trip!

Jackie McGuinness said...

Fish and lamb perfect!! Iceland is on my list.