Thursday, August 12, 2021

Jordan Pond, Acadia N.P.

Jordan Pond in Acadia National Park is a favorite hiking trail of around 3 miles, some on level forest and waterside trails, some over very rough rock falls where the bank is very steep, and some on a long narrow boardwalk. Today was sunny and very bright, and we walked most of the morning.








We saw mushrooms and other fungus growing in the woods … quite fascinating. I know nothing about mushroom identification, and I assume that these are only beautiful, not edible at all!








I think a beaver was responsible for cutting down this tree, which later grew the interesting fungus.



Blog post and photos © 2021 mae sander.

 

11 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I wish I knew enough about mushrooms to go foraging. I've been once with an expert and did not learn enough to do it alone. Some of those you saw looked very bright and pretty indeed.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You took some incredible photos, but that bridge would scare me. You would never get me on it.

I know nothing about mushrooms, but I was at someone's blog recently and they were sharing photos and the name of the first mushrooms. I was thinking the name had something to do with a pipe. You had a lovely day in that National Park.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I looked it up and they are called white Indian pipes. I should have remembered or copied the botanical name, but didn't think to do so.

Kokopelli said...

What a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing the photos!

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

That's such a gorgeous place! You saw quite a variety of mushrooms there. I had no idea there were so many different types.

My name is Erika. said...

I love Acadia and have visited it many times. I bet you walked the same trail I have walked before.Its a nice walk. And we've biked around the lake too. Loving all those fungi too Mae.

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks a great place to walk. The mushrooms are beautiful, but if I'm doubt, don't eat them! Blogger seems to have a lot of problems just now. Have a great day, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Just gorgeous.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful pics. A lille journey, awww.

Jeanie said...

What a picturesque spot. And mushrooms just fascinate me. Today I saw a squirrel holding up a mushroom like a shield in front of him. It was quite large, maybe three inches across, and he was nibbling on it. I wish I had the camera. You saw some gorgeous varieties!

Iliana said...

I've never been in this part of the States but it looks beautiful.