Saturday, July 17, 2021

The Café du Dôme, Paris

 
André Kertesz, 1925, Le Café du Dôme, Paris. 
 
"Well, we'll meet again shan't we? Of course we shall. It would be a pity not to meet again, wouldn't it? Will I meet them at the Pékin tomorrow for lunch? I have an idea that I shan't be feeling much like Chinese food at half-past twelve tomorrow. We arrange to meet at the Dôme at four o'clock." (Jean Rhys, Good Morning, Midnight, p. 42)
What was the Dôme? Founded at the turn of the 20th century, this was the café most popular with the artists, writers, and intellectuals of the inter-war period -- Ernest Hemingway, Robert Capa, Pablo Picasso, Anaïs Nin, Man Ray, Henry Miller, Gertrude Stein, Walter Benjamin, and so on. Also there: hangers-on who wanted to see the famous people. 

In Jean Rhys's 1937 novel Good Morning, Midnight, the narrator is an English woman who is staying temporarily in Paris at a rather seedy hotel. (Very similar in many respects to the central characters of the two earlier Jean Rhys novels I wrote about last week.) As she wanders around Paris, she remembers her life there quite a bit earlier, in the mid-1920s, and also experiences the Paris of the mid-1930s.

Her rather pathetic Paris wanderings often end up at the Dôme:
"I'm not going to any beastly little bar tonight. No, tonight I'm going somewhere where there's music; somewhere where I can be with a lot of people; somewhere where there's dancing. But where? By myself, where can I go? I'll have one more drink first and then think it out. 
"Not the Dôme, I'll avoid the damn Dôme. And of course it's the Dôme I go to. 
"The terrace is crowded, but there are not many people inside." (p. 65)

And later, she begins to talk to a man sitting at a table opposite to hers at the Dôme. She points out to him: "You want somebody very rich and very chick." He says "Yes, that's what would just suit me. And beautiful." And she answers: "But my dear, you're not going to find that at the Dôme." (p. 72) 

Good Morning Midnight makes reference to many other cafés and small restaurants in Paris, both in the narrator's 1930's frame story and in her flashbacks to her life in the 1920s. She mentions the Ritz Hotel (but never goes there), the Deux Magots. the Closerie de Lilas, the Select... many more. But somehow, she always comes back to the Dôme. (For a list of famous cafés during this era see: "The Lost Generation: Cafés in Paris.)

Eugene Atget, Café du Dôme, 1925.


Len and I ate breakfast at the Dôme a few years ago, when staying nearby.
Although the location and the decor are kept the same, the Dôme is now a very
high-priced seafood restaurant, not at all a meeting place for intellectuals.


In some ways, as I read Good Morning, Midnight, I felt as if I was reading yet another version of Jean Rhys's first two books. However, the character in this one is somewhat more developed and self-aware, despite being just as pathetic and helpless. Her constant need to ask for money, and to get people to buy her food, as well as to sympathize with her, is sad, and illustrates her desperate state. Sometimes her depression makes her not want food, though she manages to drink alcohol constantly. Sometimes in the flashbacks to earlier times she spent long times without a real meal, or she had to smuggle food into her hotel room when she had no money for a restaurant. Her hunger is often vividly described.
"I start thinking about food. Choucroute, for instance -- you ought to be able to get choucroute garnie here. Lovely sausage, lovely potato, lovely, lovely cabbage.... My mouth starts watering violently. I drink half the glass of Pernod in order to swallow convenablement." (p. 81)
"We go next door to a place called La Napolitaine and eat ravioli. Warming me. Eat slowly, make it last a long time... I've never been so happy in my life. I'm alive, eating ravioli and drinking wine. I've escaped. A door has opened and let me out into the sun. What more do I want. Anything might happen." (p. 118)
It's hard to describe the desperation of this character. And hard to read her very depressing story. Very different from the happy dreams and memories of Paris that are being shared this month at the blog event Paris in July. I'm also sharing all these beverage photos with the bloggers at Elizabeth's weekly blog party.

Blog post © 2021 mae sander.

23 comments:

Tina said...

Despite the sad and depressing thoughts this sounds like an interesting novel. I think I will start with the earlier novels you mentioned though. Love the breakfast photo you included.

On another note, Thank you for the suggestion about the Audubon app and it’s very helpful. Doug downloaded it as well and we spent the evening trying to figure out a particular nocturnal visitor we’ve been hearing for years.

Tina
Squirrel Head Manor

My name is Erika. said...

Interesting post about the Cafe. Too bad now it is such a high priced place. It would have been fun to visit it back in those days I think.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

It's interesting to see that not all people find Paris an uplifting spot. It makes Paris more...well, human, I think.

Marg said...

There is a chain of cafes in Western Australia called Dome, and now I see where it comes from!

Iris Flavia said...

Despite the sad thoughts you left me very hungry (maybe cause I so far only had some cherries for breakfast...).
I´d been with Hubby and friends at a Dome in Perth. Quite a great place.

Cecelia said...

It's interesting to think about the change of places of meeting over time, isn't it? Many of the most memorable ones have to do with food. Love your photos!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I would have loved to have been in Paris when so many intellectuals gathered together. I must look closely at our paintings to see which cafes are represented.

thecuecard said...

The Dome photos are wonderful. Quite a hangout in its day. Though I feel for Rhys's characters and their morsels of food. Quite a darker side then we think of.

Beth F said...

Hope a real trip to Paris will be safe soon!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fascinating post. What a pity that the Dôme has not kept it's character. I always used to eat at 'worker's cafés' in London, good food, and a friendly atmosphere with a wonderful mix of characters. there are not many left these days. Have a great week, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

I love the author and there often seems to be a bit of sadness and despiration in the characters. I have only read 4 of her books, but she has made me realize our struggles these days are really very small (at least for most of us). I love your picture of food in Paris. I would love to go there one day - the food would be my favorite part most likely! Very interesting post, Mae! Happy T-day!

J said...

I must admit I wasn’t enthralled by Paris, or the prices! I’m not a city person , we stayed outside of Paris and enjoyed the double decker train ride though.
I enjoyed the photos of the Dome, a lovely meeting place in the day I’m sure.
Happy T Day
Jan

Jeanie said...

It's fun to visit those places of the past, and sometimes disappointing that they aren't the "cafe of the Dome" that you knew back then. I suppose it is unreasonable to expect things to stay the same, but don't you wish they could? I think that's one of the wonderful things about the conceit of "Midnight in Paris."

Linda Kunsman said...

great post! I remember reading about and then seeing the Dome but we never ate there. happy T day!

CJ Kennedy said...

The Dôme must have been exciting in its heyday. Imagine getting a glimpse of those writers, movers, and shakers? Your croissant looks so beautiful. Oh, you found a 42! The page number of the quote. Happy T Day!

Let's Art Journal said...

The Dome looked so grand in its day, it must have been fun visiting this cafe and those pastries look so delicious 😀. Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It just goes to show that not all of Paris is as sparkling and beautiful as it is often portrayed. I enjoyed the review and I loved the idea of visiting the Dome, even if it was horribly overpriced and not what it had been in previous years. Thanks for sharing this review and your drinks with us for T this Tuesday, dear Mae.

Kate Yetter said...

What a lovely café with a interesting history.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

After reading your post, I tried to remember the cafes when we visited Paris over 25 years ago. I would have to dig out my albums and find out. We sat outside at many cafes while we were there. And, they were all pricey! LOL
Happy T Day!

Lisbeth said...

Thank you for interesting background to The Dome. Have to look into it further. I like Rhys' novels and definitely have to read this one. Sounds interesting and is giving a glimpse of the times it seems like. A little bit like her other novels.

stacybuckeye said...

This does sound like rather depressing story, but at least your visit looks lovely :)

Tamara said...

I can somewhat relate to the narrators 'wanderings' back to a place that is safe and known. When travelling for work, and often alone, I am a wanderer, and I often end up back in a cafe/bar that allows me to feel safe sitting alone, and gives me space to sit in whatever mood i'm in. it doesnt matter what era, cafes seem to allow these reflections.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is one we would still like to visit - breakfast sounds like a good idea! The book although maybe depressing is one I would like to read one day too! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx