Saturday, May 16, 2020

Responsible Choices in the Current Food Market

A worker at a coffee processing plant owned by a farmers' cooperative organization in Costa Rica.
We visited this plant last winter. Costa Rica supports very responsible agriculture and human welfare:
these issues are very important to me.
During my childhood and most of my adult life, the only motives driving our family's food choices were whether we liked the food, and whether it was good for us. Affordability was a distant third motive because in the United States, food has been kept very affordable for members of the middle class like our family. I'm aware that this is a privilege!

Recently, I've become aware of numerous additional reasons to choose or to avoid certain foods or classes of foods. These concerns lead me to ask myself many questions about my selection of food, and I take them seriously. Should I buy more locally grown produce and meat where available and in season? How can I make the most responsible choices for preserving the environment? Can my decisions be more humane? For quite a few years I've been attempting to buy climate-safe fish, following the recommendations of several watch-dog organizations, and I'm now avoiding meat from the packing plants where the workers are terribly abused and subject to infection from coronavirus. As I work through all this, my diet may continue to change. The current limitations on grocery shopping, as I stay out of stores to avoid contagious fellow-shoppers, are also affecting my ability to choose.

Beyond taste, quality, and nutritiousness, many other concerns have taken on critical importance. Here are the issues that seem important to me now:
  • Climate change has made us aware that some foods are very damaging to the long-term welfare of the earth. Clearing the rainforests of Brazil to graze more cattle can accelerate global warming. Clearing the mangrove swamps of southeast Asia to create shrimp farms is a disaster for the local and global environment (and these destroyed areas can only be used for a while but the environment is never restored). Raising cattle produces methane gas, some types of fertilizer poison the atmosphere, and so on. The term "carbon footprint" refers to the measurement of fossil fuel used to produce and deliver food products, and thus to estimate its impact on global warming.
  • Extinction due to over-fishing has threatened many important species of food fish. Shoals of cod once seemed inexhaustible, but now the cod is nearly absent from former fishing grounds; similar fates await other species. Several organizations rate seafood to help us avoid buying and eating the most threatened types of fish. Extinction of land-based wild animals is also a result of some of the actions that threaten to speed up global warming.
  • Cruelty to farmed animals motivates many people to avoid eating meat. The way this motive affects their choice of diet is varied, depending on whether they think all meat production is cruel or whether they think humane methods of cattle and poultry raising and slaughter are possible.
  • Welfare of American agricultural workers and food-processing workers, especially the workers in meat-packing plants, is another major challenge in our society. Should we buy meat when the workers are abused, exploited, and relentlessly subject to infection with coronavirus?
  • Welfare of workers in other countries presents a separate set of issues. Coffee, chocolate, sugar cane, bananas, shrimp on the Southeast Asian shrimp farms, and other imports are in many countries raised and processed with very troubling labor practices, including even slave labor.
  • Food safety is a multi-faceted issue. Is it a small bright-spot that coronavirus is not thought to cause contaminated food? We all know about warnings that romaine lettuce and other vegetables grown in Arizona or California may harbor pathogenic bacteria. Over-use of pesticide and other agricultural chemicals may result in contamination, which is hard to assess. We have to worry that oversight by US government agencies of both home-grown and imported food is becoming more lax. Some people worry about genetic engineering, but the impact on one's health of GMOs in food has been shown to be inconsequential, especially in comparison to other food safety issues.
  • Excessive processing of food has been a cause for concern for a long time. In my opinion, the healthfulness of highly processed foods seems somewhat less critical than other issues, because it only affects one's own personal health, not the welfare of the planet. That said, the corruption of US federal agencies by the current administration in Washington has more than ever favored the interests of big corporations over the interests of consumers and workers. So we may see the reintroduction of dangerous additives or careless food handling methods.
  • Religious requirements play a role in food choices in many worldwide communities, and deserve a mention here. In Muslim countries: no pork. In India, cows are sacred to Hindus and thus not acknowledged as a food source. In my own family, the generations who preceded my parents chose food with one main motive: it had to follow the religious laws of being kosher. Unlike the rest of the items on the list, this is not a personal concern for me.
I'll be coming back to some of these issues in future blog posts! And I will link up with Marg at 
Marg is the new host for Weekend Cooking, where bloggers share food-related posts from the previous week. This post and all posts on my blog are copyright © 2020 by Mae Sander for my blog, mae food dot blog spot dot com -- if you read this elsewhere it's been pirated! 

16 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

We eat seasonal produce that is locally farmed if possible. And only free range or pasture reared meat. But your point about the human aspect of the food chain has me thinking that it's as important a consideration. A friend of ours was in the fishing industry for sixty years and was warning about over fishing long before anyone else realised it would become a problem.

Marg said...

It is interesting to think about these kind of issue and make conscious decisions about the choices that you make as an individual!

Angie's Recipes said...

Definitely no processed food for me. And I am trying to buy everything local...but these days it's just rather challenging. Today in one of our local supermarkets I saw some nice cauliflower...I am sure they are from Italy and each one costs almost 4 Euro..well, I wasn't ready to spend 4 euro for a small head of cauliflower. Instead I picked up 400gs of green beans for 2 euro..again, not local, they are from Holland.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The processed ingredients put into food now it awful for the body. It is a shame the organic items are priced so much higher for the ordinary family trying to make ends meet. I am always reading the package and list of ingredients. Great post. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!

Beth F said...

We try for locally produced and minimal to no processing. Climate change is a real concern.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

We have been watching The Good Place during the pandemic and your questions about the ethics of food acquisition remind me of some of the themes of the story (to avoid spoilers, I'll leave it at that). My dad grew up on a farm where his family raised most of the food they ate, and now he is a very healthy 93, so I've always focused on serving my family lots of vegetables and fruits, with no soft drinks, and a minimal amount of sweets and meats. We were fortunate to always have our own garden to provide many of the vegetables. Still, it is always difficult to make good choices.

Tina said...

That's a good thought provoking post. We try and buy locally but obviously this isn't always possible. Its heartbreaking to read about our farm animals/ meat sources in abusive conditions. It does make me want to go completely vegetarian sometimes.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Mae,
You have brought some significant concerns to our attention with the food industry. I have been concerned for many years about the state of Big Agriculture and meat/chicken producers -partially the reason I choose to be vegan. Thank you for such an excellent post.

Jeanie said...

A very thoughtful post, Mae, not just for now but for beyond now. I just got off the phone making a small drive-up order for outrageously overpriced but probably far better quality food than what you find at Kroger. Best of all, their meats are locally sourced and not packaged by scary plants. I probably won't do that every week but thought I'd give them a try as I'd like to see them not fail during this. Plus they have wine!

Bill said...

Some really important issues to think about. We buy local when we can. The businesses now with the virus going around need people in the community to help support them otherwise they will disappear.

Phil Slade said...

You have written a very comprehensive summary of much that is wrong with both the food industry and with the many way people interact with it. Our own philosophy, that is not always easy to follow, is to buy local produce whenever possible and to never eat junk or factory food. We try to use local shops too rather than too much from large conglomerate supermarkets.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Food choices are definitely not as simple as they used to be! You've laid out the issues very clearly.

Nancy Chan said...

Interesting topic. I try to buy healthy food whenever possible but healthy or unprocessed food is expensive.

Les in Oregon said...

This is an excellent and thought-provoking post, Mae. Thank you. I'm looking forward to shopping at our Farmer's Market once we are allowed. Not only is the food better for us, but often times it taste much better than what we can buy in our grocery store. I'm thinking specifically of strawberries. The farm fresh strawberries in Oregon taste like those of my childhood. Tomatoes and cucumbers are also much more flavorful when purchased directly from farms.

Laurie C said...

We try to buy Fair Trade coffee often, but we don't always. I mentioned lobster rolls the other day and my brother said lobster fishing was environmentally problematic. My husband grew up in a lobstering family, and I'm sure the local lobstermen don't make much, so I don't know how ethical it would be for me to boycott lobster. It's hard to know what's right sometimes, but sometimes we just don't want to know and put our blinders on so we don't get inconvenienced. I think I could give up almost any luxury food item except coffee!

Iris Flavia said...

I buy local whenever I can and meat, yips, sometimes, but not often...
Here in Germany the problem is that meat is so darn cheap. Or eggs.
The other day I bought local "matjes", a kind of fish for Hubby, "home-made". Ewww, he said. That was really sad.