Monday, May 04, 2020

Exciting New Cookbook

This is our new cookbook, which arrived from amazon.com on Sunday night.
We have been extremely fond of the Poilâne bakery since first our long stay in Paris many years ago. We lived across the street from the bakery on Boulevard de Grenelle, and we learned to love the renowned bread -- pain au levain, the small, plain cookies, the apple tarts, and more. While the bakery was already famous when we lived there, it has since developed an incredible cult status.

The author of this cookbook, Apollonia Poilâne, is the granddaughter of the founder, who started the Paris bakery in 1933. Her father, the second generation of Poilâne bakers, wrote a cookbook that I’ve written about before. The recipes in our new book appear much more approachable than the older ones, and include many intriguing sandwiches and other foods that we look forward to trying out. I'll definitely write more about this great new book, which was published last year. I've hardly had time to really check it out.

Apple tarts at Poilâne on our most recent visit in November, 2018.
There are two branches of the bakery: this was the one on Rue du Cherche-Midi.

These apple tarts are one of my favorite treats.
I hope we'll try this recipe! We'll have to learn to make puff pastry.
My earlier Poilâne book, which I bought at the
bakery years ago.

Update May 5: Len’s first bake from the book.
Pain Poilâne!

Blog post by mae sander. © 2020.

15 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

So what are you going to bake first? I really love the book cover...

Iris Flavia said...

And guess where I´m going to now? Our old bakery, likely the best in Braunschweig.
I miss hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream.
Sadly my French is near to gone...

Stevenson Q said...

That cover looks very inviting Mae! At first I thought it was a whole cheese barrel but then I realize from your words that it is bread. I wasn;t able to go around much in Paris last year since I was so lucky that my trip was in the middle of the Transport Strike (talk about dream trips) But I did get to taste some bread from a local boulangerie near my friend's house and it was exquisite! Even those that are sold at the M&S Bakery was super good, especially that pan de chocolate.

I can;t wait to see what you'll bake on those pages soon!

Jeanie said...

I gave that to rick for Christmas but I'm not sure he's made anything from it yet. I must get on him about that!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You have a whole book of pleasures to look forward to! I hope you have plenty of flour and yeast on hand ... I’ve read that so many more people are trying home baking now (and probably hoarding supplies) that those two things are hard to find!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I will have to get this book for sure. Enjoy all the baking you do! I'm sure great delights will be coming out of your kitchen.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, looks like an interesting cookbook. I would love to try the apple tarts, yum! Take care, enjoy your day!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I like the sound of this new cookbook very much Mae, might have to get it on line..will be looking into that first thing in the morning, merci beaucoup 😊

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

Nothing more soothing than freshly made bread.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Sounds like this cookbook brings back some wonderful memories of their bakery and your time in France. My husband lived in Paris for a year when he was 18 and insists that you can't beat their French breads! Looks like an interesting book.

Beth F said...

I'm always up for a new bread book.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such a gorgeous cover and those apple tarts look delicious! ;-)

Tina said...

The apple tarts are making me hungry. How neat that you lived in Paris for a long time, what an experience.

Marg said...

This looks like it is packed full of delicious food to look at and then make and eat!

Carole said...

Good one!