Thursday, January 31, 2019

New in my Kitchen

First: this wonderful gift -- a Mona Lisa Scrubee. Plus Starry Night too.
Thanks Arny & Tracy!
My kitchen in January has seen a large number of new food items (or items we haven't had for a long time). These come from Trader Joe's, Ikea, Cost Plus World Market, and elsewhere. During our week's trip to South Carolina, we also tried some delicious new foods, but for this post I'll stick to just what's new in my Ann Arbor kitchen. And I'm sharing with the blogger event "In My Kitchen" at Sherry's blog: http://sherryspickings.blogspot.com/.

From Trader Joe's: Langostino Tails, which were delicious and tender.
From Ikea: mustard with dill.
Quadratini are good cookies! Ate them in 2 days.

Ikea Müsli with raspberries and Keffir.
A few condiments: two salsas, apricot-rose jam, Pickapeppa sauce.
We haven't had Pickapeppa for a while. It has a very good mild pepperiness.
Trader Joe's Harissa Salsa is hot. Is it
Moroccan? I don't know! But good in soup.

New for baking: two bannetons for proofing loaves:

The ridged surface of the banneton impresses a pattern on the loaves
as they rise. These are new in our kitchen for Len's bread-making.
After it rises, the loaf is turned out on a peel and slashed.
Then thrown onto a hot baking stone as quickly as possible.
The finished loaves have a ridged pattern left by the banneton. This batch was amazingly delicious.

19 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I need to use my banneton oftener! The loaf looks bakery perfect.

Carol said...

That bread looks so delicious!!

Geri Saucier said...

The loaf of bread looks wonderful. I bet it tasted delicious.

Pam said...

Know you love Mona Lisa, nifty scrubber! Love those wafer cookies and Len's great banneton. Makes me want to start baking bread again!

Johanna GGG said...

I love those scrubbers - though I would feel bad for the mona lisa having to scrub my pots :-) Lots of good food - I think we have bought the same quadratina (or similar wafers) and loved them. And that loaf of bread looks very impressive

Shaheen said...

I am admiring those scrubbies too, don't know if I could use them as scrubbies though :) I wish we had Trader Joes here, that harissa salsa looks delicious. Admiring your bread too, just made a sourdough in my round banneton. PS Forget about the Ikea muesli, I am admiring the bowl instead.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Your bread looks amazing! And I always love seeing what new products other foodies are trying :)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Nothing is better than homemade bread. The bannetons are interesting. Love the ridges.

Beth F said...

Lots of good stuff here.

Tiffin Fiona said...

I must say that Ikea muesli looks pretty good. I like the 'marketplace' so will need to see if we have it in Aus, the next time I visit. I have a baking banneton, and I never use it. I will have to redouble my efforts to get friendly with it (because I love the pattern it leaves on the bread).

Sherry's Pickings said...

hi Mae
thanks for joining us at IMK land. i love those Loacker chocolate wafer squares - so delicious. love the arty sponges/scrubbers. makes cleaning so pleasant:) the langostino tails look good too - are they like crab or lobster? muesli with fruit and keffir sounds very healthy. i must try it sometime:) the loaves look really beautiful too. is it your husband who makes these? i seem to remember you said he does. have a great month. cheers sherry

Tina said...

Alas, I don’t have an IKEA store near me but I want that granola. Maybe I can order online . Love the bread pans , such beautiful loaves .
Hoping to join in this month with In My Kitchen. We are headed out camping soon.

Jen Rose said...

The sourdough looks better each month! I love the novelty sponges - so fun. =)

Lisa said...

That bread looks delicious! I love the sponge, but fear that if I had one I would save it 'for good' as I'd be worried about using such a masterpiece to clean my dirty cookwear :)

Jeanie said...

Well, now I know what to add to my next TJ list! And Len's bread looks to die for. Love those pans -- I might have to put those on Rick's birthday list!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

What a great haul! Those Quadratini Biscotti look amazing and I am sure we could manage a pack in 2 days :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks like quite a tasty haul! ;-)

Moya said...

Hi May I seem to find it difficult to leave comments on your blog posts, hopefully you might receive this one... your bread looks amazing, homemade bread is the best :)

Shari from GoodFoodWeek said...

Wow - I really want to get into baking and I think I need a couple of those bread baskets. Shari from @goodfoodweek