Friday, January 04, 2019

"The Witch Elm" by Tana French


The Witch Elm is a very enjoyable book. It's suspenseful with a tightly-wound plot. The main characters, including the narrator, are unusual, believable, mostly sympathetic, but not at all predictable. Descriptions and conversations are wonderfully vivid, including an unusual number of observations not only about what the characters ate, but also about how things in their environment smell --
  • "a huge fragrant bag of Thai takeaway." (p. 91)
  • "the casserole was good, rich with herbs and full of big hearty chunks of beef and potato and carrot" (p. 149)
  • "experimental dinners full of ingredients I didn’t know how to pronounce, let alone what to do with (galangal? teff?)" (p. 156) 
  • "It smelled like him, a faint comforting scent of wet wool and dusty old books and smoky tea." (p. 456). 

Right at the start, the narrator introduces himself -- a very lucky man, he says -- and the Ivy House, in Dublin, where most of the book's action is to take place: he ponders "what luck can be, how smoothly and deliciously deceptive, how relentlessly twisted and knotted in on its own hidden places, and how lethal." (p. 5). At the end of the book, it's up to the reader to evaluate the many times he says how lucky he is! 

The narrator's introduction to Ivy House is an example of much that I like in the writing:
"And of course there was the Ivy House. I don’t think anyone could convince me, even now, that I was anything other than lucky to have the Ivy House. I know it wasn’t that simple, I know all the reasons in intimate, serrated detail; I can lay them out in a neat line, stark and runic as black twigs on snow, and stare at them till I almost convince myself; but all it takes is one whiff of the right smell— jasmine, lapsang souchong, a specific old-fashioned soap that I’ve never been able to identify— or one sideways shaft of afternoon light at a particular angle, and I’m lost, in thrall all over again." (p. 4). 
The role of the house is fascinating: at the end, it became "this dim house where ivy crisscrossed the windows and all my clothes smelled faintly of mildew." (p. 457).

Reviewing this beautifully constructed book is a terrible challenge because the least discussion of the events in the book would be a real spoiler.  In Stephen King's review of the book in the New York Times, he put it this way: 
"As a reviewer, it’s my job to at least make a scratch at describing the plot of the novel, but as a fellow novelist, I balk at giving more than a few bare details. (In my opinion, the flap copy gives away far too much — when you know everything that’s going to happen in the first 140 pages or so, somebody went overboard.) A good novel, especially one that fits, however uncomfortably, into the mystery genre, is like an expensive Swiss watch. My job is to admire it, not overwind it."
I haven't read the earlier detective novels by Tana French, but they now seem very tempting.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Both my husband and I are huge fans of Tana French but he couldn't finish this one. Perhaps it's the Dublin Murder Squad series, her first books, that has him captivated.

I haven't gotten this one yet, had to send it back to the library as I let him go first with the checkout. But I intend to read it as I have enjoyed all her other books. My favorite is The Likeness.

bermudaonion said...

I've read mixed things about this book so I'm going to hold off reading it until I read one of her other books.

Jeanie said...

I don't know this book -- or Tana French -- but it certainly sounds intriguing. I have a vague recollection of that King review, though. That one might go on the list -- though truth be told, my pile is dangerously high!

Kitchen Riffs said...

I'm a big Tana French fan, but this one is not her best. It does contain some excellent writing -- but the plotting (not her strength; creating wonderful characters and letting them do their stuff is what she's good at) suffered a bit because she was having so much fun with her characters. I think this would be a much better book -- and I'd have noticed the weak plotting much, much less -- had she cut its length by abut 20%. Good read, though, and I absolutely recommend her earlier books. In general they're better (there are one or two that aren't).

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I love Tana French's books about the Dublin Murder Squad but this one was not my favorite.