Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Big Books

These are the two books I read this week, switching to non-fiction after reading a lot of novels. The only thing these volumes have in common is their size -- they are very large: heavy to hold and challenging to read. I put a mandarin orange in the photo for scale. Briefly, about these books:

Bosh and Bruegel: From Enemy Painting to Everyday Life by Joseph Leo Koerner documents the lives and art of these two giants of Northern European painting, and attempts to discover how their works are connected. The explanations are grounded in history, art history, iconography, religious traditions, and many other factors. Illustrations are numerous but tiny. I have seen quite a few of these works in museums in Europe and the US, and have always been fascinated by both painters, so I enjoyed reading the book. However, the subject matter is so difficult that I don't feel I can give any summary!

"Hunters in the Snow," my favorite by Bruegel.
"The Trees Have Ears and the Field Has Eyes" a drawing by Bosch
that I had never seen before reading the book. His images always
delight and puzzle me!
Salt Fat Acid Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking by Samin Nosrat is a very ambitious book. Despite its tacit claim to be everything you need to know to create food in almost any cuisine of the world, I found that it was not quite that all-encompassing. It's interesting, but most cooks already have mastered a lot of the techniques that are described, and there are better explanations of the science of cooking. 

To be brief and brutal: I liked the Netflix series based on the book much better than the book itself! Netflix added a lot of travel scenes and interviews with cooks and food producers from Japan, Italy, and elsewhere, which made it much more interesting (blogged here). This is a library book, and we probably won't buy our own copy.

One of Wendy MacNaughton's very clever illustrations from Salt Fat Acid Heat.
One of my next reading projects. This book was a gift
from Jeanie who visited Sunday. Also a very large book!

6 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Didn't know Netflix has Salt Fat Acid Heat series. I am going to watch it. Thanks, Mae.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

The next book that you are going to read looks like my kind of book!

Pam said...

More to check out now, not only on Amazon but Netflix too! Take care

Kitchen Riffs said...

Interesting summaries. Of the two books, I would have thought Samin Nosrat's book would appeal to me more. I've heard a lot about it, and the subject matter interests me. Sounds like I'll give it a pass, though. Bosch and Bruegel are fascinating artists and really invented a new look in painting. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy -- thanks.

Gingi said...

I'm a huge fan of Bruegel.. my mom used to have reproductions of his work hung up at our house all the time growing up! - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Jeanie said...

Lauderee isn't HALF as large as those other two -- but the French will make it take as long!

I loved the illustration in the Salt/Acid... book. Loved them. I would buy the book just for those illustrations. The art book was fabulous. You should tell your readers how tiny the type was in that!