Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Wrapping up October in my Kitchen (and Happy Halloween)

My kitchen in October has been busy with cooking, but I haven't been acquiring much new stuff. And it's time for the fun of the once-a-month blog event "In My Kitchen" (hosted at Sherry's blog here). Most of the participants feature what's new, but I have decided to start this month with a paean to my aging dishwasher. I have never until this moment had a chance to use the word paean -- meaning ancient song of thanksgiving or praise for something. But it's also Wordy Wednesday, time to use a $5 word.

Sing, O Muse, of love for my dishwasher. 

This appliance is far from new. I am thankful for its unexpected durability (which I'm worried about even mentioning, for fear it will break immediately). I am thankful for the ease with which it removes grease from cooking utensils and dinner plates, dissolves sticky stuff from dessert dishes, and removes wine lees, juice marks, or milky residue from drinking glasses. Although I usually skip the heated-dry part of the cycle, I also appreciate its potential to dry the dishes. 

Some cynics say that a dishwasher is just a place to store dirty dishes, and that's reasonably true. As far as I'm concerned, though, nothing is wrong with having a hiding place for dirty dishes. The dishwasher is a better place for them than the sink, a more sightly place than on the counter, and far less louche than dishes left on the dinner table. 

Other cynics say that by the time I scrape and rinse my dishes to go into in the dishwasher, they are just as clean as the ones they wipe with a towel and put back in their cabinets. I shudder at the thought. It may be true that they are wiping and storing dishes with a bit of grease or sticky stuff or milky residue -- let's not go there!


A wonderful invention, the dishwasher! I looked it up: a few enterprising inventors created some sort of dishwashers in the 19th century, though I can't imagine how these worked without electricity. Commercial electric-powered dishwashing machines began to be sold in the 1920s. Then, along with a lot of other household gadgets, built-in dishwashers became a standard in most American homes during the 1950s. They arrived in European homes within a couple of decades after that. Something like 65% to 75% of American homes now have a dishwasher, though many, surprisingly, don't use them much. In England and the EU around 45% of homes have them. (All these statistics come from googling, and I'm too lazy to put in links. Sue me.)

I know about how resources in this world are scarce, and many factors will soon disrupt the happy and wasteful lives we are leading. However, using a dishwasher is documented to require considerably less water and electricity than hand-washing, so it doesn't contribute to the downfall of the planet. I guess.

Now for a new gadget in my kitchen this month: a replacement for my old, broken garlic crock:

Left: new garlic crock. Right: broken garlic crock, now disposed of.
Trader Joe's Quinoa Cowboy Veggie Burgers.
We also did a lot of cooking and made a few new recipes this month. One new menu item: veggie burgers from Trader Joe's, as depicted. I fried them with onions & peppers. They were good. Also, I've written about a new-to-us Antillean chicken dish (here) and about charcoal-grilled duck with cherry sauce (here).

In our last fall barbecues, Len made a new recipe for grilled fish with broth, as well as one for pork chops with a rub and barbecue sauce. We didn't photograph them. We made Banh Mi sandwiches with leftovers from the chops, pâté, cilantro, and other vegetables. Salade Niçoise was on the menu; also onion soup. And I baked a vegetarian lasagne with one layer of traditional ricotta cheese and one layer of cooked & cubed dumpling squash -- a locally raised fall vegetable.

Lasagne about to go in the oven, topped with fresh mozzarella.
Lasagne ready to eat -- much of this large quantity is now in the freezer.
Ingredients for Banh Mi sandwiches, including leftover grilled pork chops.
Anyway -- Happy Halloween!
We're ready for the trick-or-treaters.
All photos and text copyright 2018 by Mae E. Sander. Published at maefood dot blogspot dot com. If you read this elsewhere, it has been stolen.

16 comments:

bermudaonion said...

My mom says my dishes are clean enough to put away when I put them in the dishwasher but, I'm with you on that. I think our dishwasher is on its last leg and I dread having to pick out a new one.

Sherry's Pickings said...

i once had a brother-in-law who would wash the dishes in hot soapy water THEN put them in the dishwasher! No wonder he didn't last :) thanks for joining in Mae - number 1 IMKer again. Your lasagne looks so delicious, and i love how you've used fresh mozzarella on top. happy halloween to you too. cheers sherry

Debra Eliotseats said...

I loved your ode to the dishwasher! I think my kitchen poetic muse would have to be my aging food processor.

Lisa said...

We had to get a new dishwasher last year. I loathe it. My old dishwasher was much quieter and more efficient and just so much better at cleaning. With kids who insist on a new plate for each new food they get out, even if its 5 minutes apart, I truly appreciate the appliance. Hurrah for dishwashers!

Also... I so love bahn mi. They are one of my favourite meals, and its rare, but everyone in my family agree so we eat them often.

I wish we had Trader Joes in Aus. Those burgers look great!

Tina said...

Our dishwasher is about 20 years old and I can't believe it still works. It's awfully loud.
Your lasagna looks great, I guess we both had lasagna on our minds this time. So many ingredients you can use.

Tiffin Fiona said...

I love your story of the dishwasher. Built to last! Ours has some age on it (now 16 years) and no doubt we will say when it dies 'What? It can't be that old'. I'm a rinser and a scarper to - I would posit that that's what gives the dishwasher its longevity. Glad you mentioned about the lasagne as I have a large quantity of pumpkin and eggplant to deal with so I think a lasagne is in order!

Jackie McGuinness said...

WE moved here 6 years ago and the dishwasher came with the place. I would guess it is at least 15 years old and it is so amazing. The best I have ever had!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Lots going on in your kitchen and all the food looks delicious. I have been craving a good banh mi sandwich. ;-)

Beth F said...

I've never owned a dishwasher, but I'm sure I'd get used to one fairly quickly.

Carole said...

I need to get a better dishwasher - I feel like I am cleaning by hand and machine most of the time.... Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Marg said...

We put a new dishwasher in when we renovated the kitchen but my partner prefers to handwash so I think it has been used less than half a dozen times.

Jen Rose said...

I love my dishwasher. Don't know how I'd live without it!

Halloween is only just becoming a thing in Australia and even though we stocked up, we didn't have a single trick or treater knock on our door. Oh well. Rather than indulging I sent the treats to work with my husband for the office lolly jar! If your bowl were in my house though, there wouldn't be a 100 grand chocolate bar to spare (they were my favorite back in high school and it's been years since I've eaten one).

Happy November! =)

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I read of a new kitchen being built where the person installed 2 dishwashers - one for the dirty dishes to be stacked in. Once they were clean, they were left there so the dishwasher became a cupboard. And the clean plates were used, and moved to the second dishwasher. I too could not live without mine ;)

Shaheen said...

We don't have a dishwasher. I would so love to visit Trader Joes. The vegetarian lasagne looks really good, I haven't had lasagne in a long long time and now you have me hankering for some.

Kim Bultman said...

Mae, funny you should mention your dishwasher... best wishes on its continued service and longevity. Ours "fritzed out" the end of last month -- trick or treat! -- we didn't have a clue how old it was. (Possibly an original in our 1990's "new" double-wide trailer?) Anyhoo, until the rest of the parts arrive (gasket and baffles), The Man Of Few Words replaced the soggy floor boards and I now refer to it as the world's largest dish drainer! :) (With a bath towel draped over the door to avoid leaking on the new floor.) Hand-washing isn't so bad in the meantime -- I often did that while cooking to avoid dishwasher overload (!) -- plus a sinkful of suds adds some heat and humidity to the house now that the temps dipped. LOVE your new garlic crock and fresh mozzarella topped lasagne!

Moya said...

Mae, I give praise to my dishwasher all the time and I would not be without one. Love the garlic crocks, beautiful. And your lasagna looks homely and delicious too.