Sunday, November 08, 2020

The Great British Baking Show Continues

"So why is GBBO asking bakers to steam an originally Chinese bun and fill it with Chinese or Indian ingredients during Japan Week?" (eater)


I have enjoyed many seasons of the Great British Baking Show. I've watched it through several changes of judges and comedy hosts, through the earlier mainly British choices of baked goods with later expansions into other cuisines, and through a variety of contestants, both fairly and (maybe) unfairly eliminated from competition. Of course there's the permanent problem that when you watch a cooking show you have only the judges' word for how the food tastes; you can only guess in your mind's taste buds how it would seem to you. This is more of a problem when the judges seem rather narrow in their view of flavors and flavor combinations -- a situation that seems more noticeable this year.

The two most recent themed weeks have seemed to me a bit over done, making the this season's episodes a little less engaging. Around a week ago was Japanese Week. I found it a bit ridiculous, as did a number of professional critics, whose often-snarky reviews I really enjoyed reading. The connection with Japanese cuisine was tenuous at best, and also a bit silly. The "Showstopper" pineapple cake in the picture, for example, was flavored with pineapple and citrus, and was made in sort of a pineapple shape. It was supposed to represent the theme of "Kawaii" or cuteness. It's hard to see how it had much to do with Japan or with anything Japanese at all. 

Just one more thing about "kawaii" -- it's really a thing in Japan, and maybe the cakes were Japanese-cute, but all over the internet people were observing that "kawaii" was repeatedly mispronounced as "kowaii," which means "scary" instead of cute. Just another one of those cultural things, I guess. (source)

Paul and Prue's reactions generally seem to be oriented to what they like and how they view flavors; this became even more apparent during Japanese week. All food on the show seems expected to follow British stereotypes of whatever cuisine is on the table. Sometimes one suspects that they like the version they've had in London restaurants and take-outs. Some of the steamed buns of Japanese Week were filled with things like curry, while two contestants created steamed buns with a filling of hamburgers with catsup and pickles, which Paul Hollywood hates and made them leave out in HIS portion. Other buns were decorated to look like animals, such as a panda, the emblematic Chinese animal. Somehow Japan got lost in all this.

Paul Hollywood offers his commitment during: "80's Week"

Another observation from New York Magazine's Vulture: "Paul Hollywood’s attitude... is smug and superior and never, under any circumstances, incorrect; why would the tent exist, Paul Hollywood wonders, if not to please Paul Hollywood?" (source) This was a problem for Japanese week, a big one. But it continued the next week when the theme was 80s week. Paul and Prue, who invent and then judge the challenges, definitely knew what foods were in and out in the 80s, and they had strong opinions on how it should look and taste.

Prue's response.

The first 80's baking assignment was quiche. Anyone who lived through 80s food -- which some contestants were too young to have experienced -- could never forget the quiche craze! It's a wonder that the judges and hosts didn't cite the totally 80's book Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. This challenge was a good one, though the flavors suggested were to be more "modern" not just using ingredients like the bacon and cheese of quiche Lorraine, which Prue seemed to recall fondly. 

Long-term fans of this show could easily have warned the contestants that Paul and Prue hate fiery hot foods. They also turn out to hate baked beans -- so quiches including these ingredients elicited an automatic turned-up-nose on the part of the judges. Not to mention the full-English Breakfast quiches which sounded very weird. Black pudding?  Baked beans? Scrambled eggs in egg custard? I suspect that the judges were right about these choices! But still, despite their protestations, they were expressing their prejudices. 

A melty ice-cream cake on a hot day. Looks good. 

I wasn't so sure about the other two supposedly 1980's challenges, which were ice cream cakes and "finger donuts" -- that is, large donuts in a long shape not a donut shape. These must have been British not American fads, as I can't connect them particularly to the 80's, especially not the donuts which seem to me to have always been a fixture in donut shops. 

Was an ice cream cake typical of the 1980's, at dinner parties all the time, as Prue said? Not here in the US as I remember it, though I do remember that ice cream machines were popular. We had one that used ice and salt, though technology has evolved -- the contestants had incredible refrigerated ice cream makers.

The horrifying thing about the ice cream challenge was that it was filmed some time last summer during a record-breaking heat wave and the temperature in the non air-conditioned tent was something like 95º F. So it was almost impossible to keep the ice cream at a temperature that would keep a cake together. Thus the fun was watching the contestants try to rescue melting cakes to display them for judging.

The most amazingly decorated ice cream cake was this -- also judged tasty by Paul and Prue. 
Evidently, it didn't have any ingredients that they disliked. 
What would Mary Berry, the greatest expert on British baking, say? We must never ever ask this question.

Blog post © 2020 mae sander, screen shots from the Great British Baking Show on Netflix. 

10 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

I have always loved this show-but sadly they are no longer on the tv-there are only so many sites we can afford to pay for

My name is Erika. said...

Interesting post. When I was in Japan in 2018 I did see LOTS of panda cakes. I guess they were celebrating the pandas at the Tokyo zoo. I do remember quiche but I never saw donuts sliced that way, nor ice cream cakes. But one thing I do like is the cultural differences. And the Japan week show was fun, even if the steamed buns was really nothing to do directly with Japan. Thanks for this post!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I don't get this show, either. I used to, but now it's no longer on the Food Channel. I miss Mary Berry. I DO remember the ice cream cakes, though. They were made popular here in the states by Dairy Queen to help their sales. They made them for all occasions, but Mother's and Father's Day ice cream cakes seemed to be the ones that sold the most. Did I mention I miss Mary Berry?

Angie's Recipes said...

Not a fan of any cooking show...don't think I have ever watched one single episode of this British baking show...The X'mas cake looks pretty good.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Paul certainly deems himself a master of all yet many recipes I've tried of his have failed.

Beth said...

I'm a big fan of the Canadian equivalent (The Great Canadian Baking Show) and I can't wait for season 4! It absolutely inspired me to try baking things I haven't done before.

Jeanie said...

I'm with you on this season. Matt bugs me. Paul is getting a tad snarky and what WAS it with Japanese week? That all looked ghastly. Ice cream cakes I know -- but the omelet/beans thing.... weird. That said, I still love this show in terms of how the contestants relate and how it is done. They seem to generally get on and that's really so different from so many things.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Iwe enjoy this show but oh yeah, I miss Mary Berry. She was a much better foil for Paul. Pru seems to try to be a shadow of him. I felt sorry for the bakers in that hot tent. The only thing I remember about ice cream cakes is buying one at Dairy Queen once or twice for a child’s birthday party. Obviously I was a terrible mother in addition to not being a baker )).

Divers and Sundry said...

I have seen this show a couple of times and enjoyed it, but I just never seem to remember it when I'm choosing something. I want quiche now and ice cream cake lol I'd have to buy the cake, though ;)

Debra Eliotseats said...

I thought gherkin-gate was weird. I couldn't believe Paul was actually requesting an ingredient be left out. I still enjoy the show and I think Noel is hilarious. New partner? Jury is still out. I will still go on watching though. :) I'm an 80s child and the whole finger donut thing is a mystery to me. Must definitely be British. I don't have any basis for this, but weren't ice cream cakes a think here in the 50s and 60s??