Friday, November 20, 2020

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Every November I post about Thanksgivings past and present. This year it's especially hard to think about what the holiday has meant over the years, and how intelligent and patient people are just having to wait out the pandemic, hoping for the effectiveness of a vaccine that will put us on track for the future. It’s even more painful to think about less patient or reasonable people who are insisting that gathering in family groups can't hurt them despite the huge jump in cases of coronavirus in recent weeks.

Cranberries, 1950s.

Cranberries, 2020, ready to go.

We belong to the cautious element of the population, and will be dining with just the two of us, though we will be sharing food -- exchanged at a distance -- with some relatives who are getting together after observing very strict non-contact rules for 14 days before the holiday. Whatever you are doing, I hope that you will have a wonderful holiday that’s appropriate for this year. 

We have many things to be thankful for, even if traditions have to be adapted to current reality. For the next two days, I'm planning to re-post some of my favorite Thanksgiving posts. And here are some turkeys of past years, just to keep the spirit alive.

The 2019 turkey.

The 2017 turkey.

The 2015 turkey.

 
The 2014 turkey.

The 2011 turkey.


One more family tradition: candied pecans.

Sisters in matching aprons, 2013.

Blog post and photos © 2009-2020 mae sander.

10 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Fantastic photos. Thanksgiving will certainly be different this year.

Angie's Recipes said...

The 2015 turkey is my favourite, but I love those candied pecans even more :-) Hope you two have a great celebration!

Anne in the kitchen said...

Oh those candied pecans make my mouth water!

Divers and Sundry said...

We're also among the careful stay-at-home folks. Just the 3 who live here. We're not used to large Thanksgiving gatherings, so it won't really be a sacrifice for us. I don't even cook a whole turkey ;) but I always have cranberry sauce.

I love those aprons!

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for sharing your photographs.
Thanksgiving (and Christmas) will be a little different this year.

All the best Jan

Story Time said...

Thanks, Mae. Wish we could be together this year.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

There is so much to be thankful for and hopefully next year will be different!

Suzan said...

Are you able to share your recipe for the pecans? I love them so and I have never managed to make them successfully.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia but I do love the idea of taking time to remember our blessings. Your meals and birds look scrumptious.

Mae Travels said...

@Suzan -- my recipe for candied pecans is here:
https://maefood.blogspot.com/2016/11/family-favorite-recipes.html

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

It is an odd year, isn't it? We usually gather with friends. This year I will drop pumpkin bread at their door. I love seeing the photos of your holidays past. There is such warms there.

Have a wonderful week --I'll look forward to your encores.