Monday, November 16, 2020

A Psychological Thriller Set in Vienna

Vienna, 1906. A series of murders baffles the police, and can be solved only through the psychological deductions of Max Liebermann, a medical doctor, student of Freud, and very successful amateur detective. Max Liebermann is the creation of Frank Tallis, British author and clinical psychologist. Seven detective novels about Liebermann have been published since the first, Mortal Mischief, in 2005. Season 1 of the TV series was released in 2019, and a second series seems to be in production. We are watching it on the PBS channel at amazon.com.

This is Max Liebermann, the detective in the novels and in the six episodes of "Vienna Blood," the TV series. Every scene is rich with detail; for example, the coffee service in this image. Although some of the murders are pretty graphic and grisly, the series is very watchable. 


Scenes of Vienna, as well as its cultural atmosphere, create the wonderful visuals for the series. The opulent homes of some of the characters contrast with the slums and poverty of some of the victims and some of the accused criminals. The historical and political details are very fascinating.

 
Gustav Klimt, Beethoven Frieze, 1902 -- viewed by Liebermann and his fiancee in episode 1.
A performance of Mozart's Magic Flute, a recital by Gustav Mahler, and an exhibit of the Beethoven Frieze are all significant elements in the mysteries portrayed.

A few years ago, I read one of the Max Liebermann novels. After we finish watching the series I plan to read more of them. Both the TV series and the novels are very enjoyable creations. I hope they soon release Season 2!

Blog post © 2020 mae sander, images from screen shots.


9 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

This sounds like something I would definitely enjoy too. Thanks!

Vagabonde said...

I like this type of stories with historical settings. My daughter told me I can get Amazon programs on my television. I have not looked yet as I watch so little TV. Several years ago I read a series of books on Vienna, non-fiction. One I remember was by Frederic Morton “A Nervous Splendor: Vienna 1888-1889.” I was so taken by Vienna that I took my husband there as a trip away from Paris. I still have to write a post on it. I’ll make a note of that author.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'll have to look for this. Thanks for the description :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Haven't seen the films but I loved the books. Have a great day, Valerie

Literary Feline said...

This sounds like a great series. I bet the scenery is beautiful. I'd be curious to read the books and then perhaps watching the show. Thank you for sharing!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I shall look out for the TV series.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I didn't catch this series when it was on PBS. However, I realized I can watch it on my PBS Passport, which I get because I'm a PBS donor. I look forward to seeing it, too. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to this series.

Tina said...

I'll have to see if your library can get me that series. It looks interesting. Fun fact, I lived in Vienna for a very short while when I was traveling with my first husband. This was way back in the late 1970's and I absolutely loved it there. the patisseries, the Mozartkugel chocolates, just all of it.

Lowcarb team member said...

This sounds good :)

All the best Jan