Saturday, November 28, 2020

Jaume Plensa Sculpture

 “Behind the Walls” by Jaume Plensa.



"Behind the Walls" is the title of a newly-installed outdoor sculpture by Jaume Plensa at the University of Michigan Museum of Art. The work, which is a gift to the museum, is made of polyester resin and marble dust, and most recently stood in Rockefeller Center in New York.

Spanish artist Jaume Plensa's work "argues for art's capacity to produce powerfully a sense of public place and expression," according to museum director Christina Olsen (The University Record, November 16, 2020, p. 1). In my opinion, part of its power comes from its really impressive size: it stands 25 feet tall. I looked at it from nearby and from a distance, and it seems to me that it is perfectly proportioned for the space in a corner of the modern wing of the museum. I have seen a work by this sculptor before, in Chicago in 2017: the Crown Fountain in Millennium Park.

Crown Fountain in Millennium Park, Chicago, 2004. The black granite pool between two glass brick towers is 232 feet long, 48 feet wide, and 1/8 inch deep, and is open for people to walk through.


About Crown Fountain in Chicago:
"The fountain consists of two 50-foot glass block towers at each end of a shallow reflecting pool. The towers project video images from a broad social spectrum of Chicago citizens, a reference to the traditional use of gargoyles in fountains, where faces of mythological beings were sculpted with open mouths to allow water, a symbol of life, to flow out." (source)

Blog post and original photos © 2017, 2020, mae sander.

13 comments:

Rain said...

What a cool fountain!! I love this type of art. The sculpture is really amazing too!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

The sculpture is so apt for our existence covering the past and the present.

kwarkito said...

J'aime beaucoup cette sculpture très expressive et assez imposante. Quant à cette fontaine elle est très originale et surprenante.Bonne semaine.

Bill said...

The sculpture is a beauty!

My name is Erika. said...

That is an interesting sculpture. I think I actually don't mind it. I haven't decided it I like it though. But it does make you think about it. I have seen the one in Chicago also, but I didn't know who created it.

RealLifeReading said...

Thanks for sharing this loveliness!

Teresa said...

Love the sculpture.

Sami said...

Interesting sculpture Mae. At first I couldn't figure out what was hanging from the head, but it's the hands :)
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I loved the towers in Chicago, but not sure I care for that statue, It was unsettling. Odd, because I'm a huge fan of modern art.

Bertiebo said...

Love Plensa's work. It's all around the world is not it, also here in the Netherlands

Jackie McGuinness said...

I love his work. I have seen him in Bordeaux and Antibes France. AND now Toronto has one of his pieces, unveiled this summer!

https://junkboattravels.blogspot.com/2020/10/dim-sum.html

That red piece of art in your photo is intriguing me, I believe we have a piece like that here as well.

Divers and Sundry said...

That sculpture is striking. What a cool way to create the fountain!

Linda said...

Interesting works. I didn't know polyester resin was used for large sculptures, so I learned something today.