Thursday, September 03, 2020

Rye Bread

Passionate memories of rye bread echo through many cities that once had Jewish bakeries and delis. Remembered flavors include the taste of "tzitzel" rye from Pratzel's Bakery in St. Louis (which was my family's favorite bakery when I was growing up there), "tsitsel" rye from Zingerman's bakery in Ann Arbor, "Shissel Rye" in New York, and sissel or cissel rye (which is named for the frequently-used ingredient, caraway, for which the Yiddish word is "sissel") Are you confused? I was a bit surprised to learn of all these similar-looking and sounding words. 

The head of Zingerman's bakery in Ann Arbor, which has brought many of these breads back to life, wrote about the early days of Zingerman's bakery, founded in 1992 and still baking a wide variety of breads:
"The most important breads we needed to master were Jewish Rye in all its forms—seeded, not seeded, chernuska and tsitsel (a round loaf with a slit in the top made from a caraway-free dough; the Yiddish word means “breast”) and pumpernickel." (Amy Emberling, 2016, https://blog.bakewithzing.com/jewish-rye-bread-history/)
Some of these are still available at Zingerman's Bakehouse (a few miles from my home) and at their online store, though tsitsel rye is no longer on any of their lists (link). Clearly, there are a huge number of Jewish rye breads, including the several types I remember from my childhood (that is, from Pratzel's bakery) and from the current time here in Ann Arbor.

I started checking out this linguistic and culinary tangle by looking for "tzitzel" rye, which seemed to be unique to Pratzel's. This round rye bread was coated in cornmeal. It was the pride of the bakery's founders, who opened the bakery in around 1913, and of their successors who operated the bakery until 2011. A diligent google search, however, turned up a bit of older history, prior to the founding of Pratzel's, that illustrates that it was more traditional than the bakery admitted:
"Many bakery workers were leaders in the 1909 strike, among them Yosl Rosenbach of the Jewish Bakers’ Union, Local 104, whose members baked a Galitsyaner bread that was called tsitsel broyt. I had met him in 1894, when he arrived from Przemysl, Galicia, where he had been a baker and a member of the Austrian Social-Democratic Party. He was a fine public speaker, and he joined the same party in America. He died at the age of 61 in April 1929." (Source: The Jewish Unions in America: Pages of History and Memories by Bernard Weinstein. A note on tistsel broyt translates: "Yiddish: nipple bread.")
New York bread lovers especially remember "corn rye" (which is not made of corn, and not coated with corn meal, but refers to the Yiddish word "kern," meaning wheat flour) and Shissel Rye, as explained in an article from Eater. The author Andrew Coe explained:
"You may have never heard of Shissel Rye before—it's a bread that didn't survive the softening and blandification of the New York rye tradition. "Shissel" means bowl in Yiddish, and maybe it's so named because the loaf looks like an inverted bowl. From the outside, it's easy to mistake it for a corn rye, because it has a similar leathery crust. But it's made from wetter dough than corn rye, which gives the loaf a denser crumb and more pronounced sour twang." (link)
In trying to learn more about rye bread, I also read a book about Jewish food in the Midwest in the 19th and 20th century: From the Jewish Heartland: Two Centuries of Midwest Foodways by Ellen F. Steinberg and Jack H. Prost (published 2011). Included in this book is a long interview with the descendants of Max Pratzel, with particular fervor about the tzitzel rye, which also appears in many other food memories about this bakery. (p. 134-135)

According to the interview, Max Pratzel claimed to have made up the recipe for the bread as well as the name. His contribution, evidently, was using cornmeal to coat the bread, though in fact this was done in other bakeries as well. As for the name, I suspect he didn't want to admit that it was a cognate with an English word for the same part of the female anatomy -- and thus a family legend was formed. The somewhat clueless authors of the book seemed unable to find the history and meaning of the Yiddish word or of the bread, though at that time Zingerman's was already baking it under a slightly different spelling, and already explaining its Yiddish meaning.

Additional web searches reveal that several home bakers claim to have found a recipe that comes close to the taste of Pratzel's rye, and that descendants of the Pratzel family now have a bakery in Wisconsin where they continue to use the original sour dough starter from their family's St. Louis bakery. I'll just conserve my memories of my father ordering a rye bread at the glass-fronted display cases at the bakery a few blocks from where I grew up, and I'll continue enjoying the rye bread that Len is now baking.


Blog post © 2020 mae sander.

14 comments:

Greg said...

I love rye bread but had no idea about the history, sadly. This is good to know! I've heard of Zingerman's, of course, being a Michigander, and I'm looking forward to going there one of these days.

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

Len's the bread always looks amazing. I have good memories of pastrami on rye from Stage Deli in New York. Shabbat Shalom Mae

Angie's Recipes said...

This is really interesting! Live and learn :-)

Story Time said...

I remember that when I ordered rye bread for our family from Pratzel's my instructions were to request "A small, plain rye, sliced". I must have done it a lot of times, since I don't remember any other specific order instructions. I also remember going with Dad on Sunday morning to Pratzel's to get bread for breakfast, and him giving me a "commission", the heel of a cinnamon bread or buttercrust on the way home.

My name is Erika. said...

We had a great Jewish Bakery in Worcester, Massachusetts where I grew up. And having Swedish grandparents, we had a great Scandinavia bakery or two also. Not any of that here in New Hampshire. Sometimes I miss it. Thanks for the reminder.

Jeanie said...

As always, your posts are really interesting. I've always liked rye, or thought I did but when Rick made it, it was quite heavy. Maybe he needs a new recipe!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm SO late visiting. I have an excuse, though. I tripped in my craft room and fell. Nothing is broken, except my trash container, but I am sorer today than yesterday when it happened.

I wanted to tell you how much I LOVE your Mona entries. You apparently have a THING for Mona, I wish my scanner wasn't on its last leg. I'd send you a better scan of the ad and remove my watermark. I'll see if I can clean it up a bit and I'll send it to you if I do.

As I was reading about the rye bread, I was looking at the menorah in amazement at the corn that was in most of the holders. Sorry I've never heard of Pratzel, but I suspect the bakeries never made it to southern Kansas. However, I love rye bread, but it's hard to find in my local market. They don't bake it every day, it seems.

Nice review and I learned a lot.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Mae,
Thank you for all your research and this fascinating post. Rye bread certainly brings back memories for me. I used to go to the kosher bakery with my dad and we would select our perfect rye and or pumpernickel bread- sliced of course! There was nothing like it!

Beth F said...

I was lucky to grow up near several really good delis. Rye bread was our usual bread at home.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Growing up in Montreal in a predominately Jewish neighbourhood I ate a lot of rye bread. I even worked a summer in a Jewish bakery and sliced many a rye bread!
You can't get that same type of rye bread here in Toronto. Also since my husband is gluten free we haven't found anything that resembles any rye bread until this week. He bought a Bavarian GF bread that we both said reminded us of a rye bread.

Carola Bartz said...

Rye bread is such a staple in Germany - I grew up on it. I have missed really good rye bread here and so far have only found two bakeries who bake excellent rye bread.

Marg said...

I am not sure why but rye bread was never really on my radar until a few years ago. I don't really eat it much, but I think I am probably missing out!

Fascinating post as always Mae!

Laurie C said...

I never had anything but supermarket rye bread until college when I ate in my first NY deli! What a revelation! Pumpernickel is my favorite, but any deli rye would be great to have again. This post is making me hungry for rye toast. When we visit our daughter in NYC we always eat breakfast at a deli on the morning we're leaving to drive home; our daughter has celiac disease so food from a deli is off-limits for her.
My Weekend Cooking post is here: http://baystatera.com/virtual-ireland-trip-weekend-cooking

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I don't get out your way often but when I do I always make sure to stop at Zingermanns