Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Happy Passover!


Just after lunch today it was time for the Seder in Israel, and by the magic of Zoom, we joined Janet, Ethan, Abigail, and Gabi for the first hour of their celebration. The screen shot above shows Janet and Ethan in their dining room, where we've participated in Seders before. Abigail and Gabi -- visible in the thumbnail images on the screen -- were in their own homes, all in the suburbs of Tel Aviv. Tonight in Israel the curfew is exceptionally strict, and no one is allowed to gather for this ritual meal that usually includes a large number of friends and relatives.

Later this evening, we'll have a small Seder at home, with matzoh ball soup and a Seder plate with the ritual items on it. We'll read some of the Haggadah, recalling the story of the Exodus from Egypt, and the rescue of the Jewish people from slavery. And we'll drink the 4 cups of wine as tradition dictates. Here are pictures of the Seder we attended at Janet's two years ago -- same location, very different situation!




Abigail found the following words in the Haggadah especially meaningful this year in the midst of the modern plague:
“In each and every generation they rise up against us to destroy us. And the Holy One, blessed be He, rescues us from their hands.”
Right now the whole nation of Israel is having a collective Seder, with every family separate from the whole but somehow getting together by one means or another, making this night very different from all other nights, and even from all other Seder nights.

UPDATE: our own later Seder at 7:00 EST rather than on Israel time --

You can see our Haggadah, the seder plate, wine,
and a matzo that came in the mail just in time.


Blogpost and photos © 2018-2020 mae sander for mae food dot blog spot dot com.

3 comments:

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

You were lucky to get Matzah. Chag sameach Pesach. May G-d indeed deliver the world from this pandemic.

Iris Flavia said...

Sad we have to be separated, yay to social media. And to tradition.

Yes. Here in Germany the Islamic people go at the Jewish ones.
We never ever learn. Respect, from both sides, right.
We do love the food, that is one thing to start about.

When I was young I was in France, leaving my car with a farmer´s family.
The Grandpa... oh, my.
He asked NOT what my Grandparents did in WWII - and they were not involved anyways, he asked, "what are you up to?" Such a nice man.
He knew I am German, and he knew I had nothing to do with WWII, my parents were kids.

I wish people would just respect each other, each other believes or religions.

And love and share each other´s food :-)

Jeanie said...

I wish you a blessed Passover. I'm glad you had what you needed for the ritual foods. I suspect that around the world, be it Passover or Easter on Sunday, people will be celebrating in very different ways than before. I'm hoping Rick will have enough flour to make challah bread for Easter. I love the French toast made from it. I've ordered for him from King Arthur but it hasn't arrived yet!

I wish you love and safety. That quote is truly spot on.