Monday, April 13, 2020

Food in the House

A very slightly decorated egg, waiting to be eaten.
Thinking over what we could eat today, I looked for curry recipes. News to me: curry made with hard-boiled eggs! I'm sure it's not news to anyone who knows about curry, just to me. It's welcome news because the other recipes I found all called for vegetables that I don't have.

Don't misunderstand, I received a grocery delivery Saturday, and have a variety of fresh food -- I'm just looking for creative ways to use my provisions, and needless to say, I'm not going out. I'm beginning to enjoy figuring out how to put things together that I haven't necessarily planned in advance. And news of untried recipes keeps me from reading the real news. All too real.

Spices and ingredients: curry powder, cardamom
 turmeric, ground coriander, keffir lime leaves, chili garlic paste
and coconut cream (which was already open).
Slowly cooked together: a potato, sliced onion, and the spices.
Just enough for two portions.
Lunch: curry and eggs, garnished with the last cilantro leaves, a bit of Trader Joe's chutney, and a lavash cracker that  Len baked.
I've also been looking at amazon.com for available canned goods, or for those becoming available soon. I have a few orders coming that will make cooking more enjoyable. For example: I found garbanzo beans and coconut milk to use (when they arrive) for future curries. Canned tomatoes, which I use often for many types of foods, will be in stock soon.

As I've been saying often, I feel very lucky to have a variety of food, a warm house with a kitchen, and the luxury to stay in and avoid the danger of infection. Putting new (to me) combinations of foods together is a good way to keep from thinking about the more and more troubled outside world. 

Today is colder and grayer, but flowers are blooming.

Blog post and photos copyright © 2020 mae sander for mae food dot blog spot dot com.

17 comments:

Pam said...

Looks good to me! Like your slightly decorated egg too!

RealLifeReading said...

Cute egg decoration!
There's a popular egg dish in Singapore called Sambal Telur (sambal eggs)
https://noobcook.com/sambal-eggs/

Catalyst said...

We had rain and hail here today, the last for this month according to the Weather Gods. Just the kind of day for some curry.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I appreciate your good ideas! And the curry sounds (and looks) delicious. We both like to cook (sometimes)... it is just the *every single day* of it that is hard. It has been many years since we’ve (back then it was just me) had to cook every meal. Since the kids all grew up (and they are middle-aged now) if we were bored or tired of cooking or just to tired to cook, we’d go out to a favorite restaurant . We are spoiled and how I now I realize that!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I'm hoping there are tinned tomatoes when I go shopping. I read a BBC article last night echoing your blog post from yesterday. It really has me thinking as the same number of people still need to eat.

Iris Flavia said...

Now eggs in curry is new to me, too.
That tastes good???
I eat them on cheese bread. Boy, am I old ;-)

Jeanie said...

The eggs with the curried veg -- that looks really good. We're out of curry. Or I am -- not sure about Rick. But the garam masala worked well as a sub in another dish with some cumin. I might have to try this.

I know what you mean about experimenting with cooking, using what we have in new ways. My grocery order finally came and now I have lots of fresh -- that'll only last about a week or so! Time to pull out the ideas again!

G'day Souffle said...

What a brilliant combination of flavors and all done with ingredients you already have in your pantry! I’ve also been ordering things from Amazon, but more exotic things like powdered vanilla to make my French Macarons. Stay safe!

Sherry's Pickings said...

i think we in Western countries are incredibly lucky - we have a roof over our heads and food to eat. Lucky indeed. Your egg curry looks so delicious Mae! x

Tina said...

We love a good curry and while I had read about using eggs we haven’t done that yet, it looks very good, Mae, I love the flavors in a curry.
Pretty flowers.

Stacie said...

Your dish looks delicious. Since our college kids are home now, I've been trying to rotate through their favorite family meals. It's been good to cook for them again.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Beautiful presentation of your eggs, and I love all the warming spices in your curry. Egg curry is new to me!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love egg curries and have at least one from Madhur Jaffrey on my blog and yes, I also count myself as very lucky in these times and count my blessings too.

Carole said...

I've run out of fresh onions... But otherwise all good. Cheers

Marg said...

Oh, this looks delicious!

Laurie C said...

Yum! I love curries and hard-boiled eggs, too!

Beth F said...

Fortunately, eggs are still plentiful!