Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Salmon in Yogurt Sauce


The other day I bought some wild-caught Copper River salmon at Costco -- that means I bought a lot of it! I wanted to make it in advance so that it would be completely ready for dinner during my sister and brother-in-law's visit. I hadn't made my old favorite recipe for cold fish (or chicken) in yogurt sauce in a while, so I looked it up, and I'm including it below. As always, photos and text are created and copyright © by this blog: maefood dot blogspot dot com, and if you see my posts and photos at another blog, they've been stolen.

Fish or Chicken in Yogurt Sauce

This recipe can be made with salmon filets, chicken breasts, or whole trout. For 4 servings, you need about 1.5 to 2 lbs. of salmon filets, OR around 2 whole skinless boneless chicken breasts (breast meat from 2 chickens) sliced into 4 or more filets each, OR 2 or 3 whole trout (depending on size). Plus 1 recipe of sauce.

Broil the fish or meat. For trout, skin, bone, and filet each trout after broiling, making two filets for each fish. For salmon, cut the fish into serving-size portions after broiling.

While the fish or chicken is broiling, mix the following sauce:
    1 cup plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons Hellman's regular or light mayonnaise
    1 clove garlic, crushed so there are no big chunks
    Mixture of herbs -- chives, basil, dill, parsley, oregano, cilantro as you like
    OR mixture of turmeric and curry powder 
    1 Tbs. crushed green peppercorns (optional)
    Few drops Tabasco sauce or juice of up to 1 lemon to taste
    Salt to taste

Arrange the warm chicken or fish portions neatly on a platter, and spoon the yogurt sauce over each one. Chill in refrigerator. Sauce will firm up. Garnish with fresh parsley, chopped green onion, or red pepper slices and (for fish, especially) lemon slices. Serve cold with salad (I served it with French potato salad and lettuce leaves).

11 comments:

Pamela said...

This looks wonderful! Costco stores are in Japan, too. Many Japanese people are overwhelmed by the large sizes at Costco (or Costoco, as the store is known here).

Angie's Recipes said...

Very yummy! Salmon is my favourite fish. I must try that creamy yoghurt sauce soon.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Mmmm, wild salmon. My favorite! And this is such a nice recipe -- lotta flavor, and pretty easy. My kind! :-) Thanks.

Tina said...

If you buy at Costco you do indeed get a large amount. Love this idea for a lovely meal that doesn't require a lot of attention, then you can visit with company.

Thanks so much for your kind words about Aja. She is indeed a beloved family member and we are happy she is on the mend.

Story Time said...

The salmon tasted as good as it looks. Thanks!

Jackie McGuinness said...

We have a large bag of Costco haddock to use up!

Beth F said...

I love cold salmon, but, alas, my husband is not a big fan.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love a good sauce to top off salmon. sounds delicious

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! It looks perfect for summer eating. ;-)

Carole said...

Haven't seen a sauce like this before... Cheers

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

I don’t like salmon, but the sauce sounds tasty, thanks for sharing

Have a great week