Friday, November 30, 2018

My Kitchen in November


Here's my kitchen wrap-up for a month when I was mostly preparing to go to Paris or winding down from the trip. You might think I would go to the famous Paris culinary shops, cookbook stores, or food stores and bring stuff back, but this was a no-stuff trip except for two magnets. (Yes, the customs agent gave me a funny look when he asked what I had brought back and I said "two magnets.")

Most of November when at home, I was cooking only basics. I'm working on getting some new spices, so maybe I'll have more to say next month!

One new appliance purchased early in November: a popcorn popper.
We had one in the past but it kind of fell apart. Interesting discovery:
if you spray a little water on the hot popcorn the salt sticks to it better.
Winter fruit and "gold" coins waiting for Chanukah, which starts on Sunday!
Refrigerator decor: post cards from our visit to Alert Bay, B.C. in October. The 2 new magnets from the Centre Pompidou
in Paris: an image of the ultramodern building, and a Chagall image. The magnetic clips are new too.
Magnet close-up. The Chagall wasn't on view, but we love it so I got the magnet.
The painting of a bride & groom was meaningful because our wedding
was in France at the time when a postage stamp with the image was current.
The Chagall was one of a beautiful series of
stamps with works of art from major French museums.
We sent many letters home with this stamp!
"The Kitchen Table" by André Derain (1925). In the Museée de l'Orangerie. A kitchen in Paris! 
All things considered -- it's fun to eat every meal out for a week.
Especially in Paris!
For more kitchens and kitchen news from many other bloggers, see the blog event "In My Kitchen" at Sherry's blog: http://sherryspickings.blogspot.com/. I suspect that most of the other bloggers will have much more new stuff than I do!

Last -- a boring photo of my new non-stick frying pans, replacing the
semi-worn-out former ones. We also have some new dish brushes,
even more boring!

14 comments:

Sherry's Pickings said...

Lucky you - eating out for a week in paris. Very sensible to only bring back fridge magnets 🧲. Thanks again for being number 1 commenter. Oops i wished you happy Christmas 🎄 sorry:(. Cheers sherry

Iris Flavia said...

"Two magnets" :-)
You made me smile big with this. Our fridge sadly is not magnetic.

Jeanie said...

Chagall is one of my favorites and I love that piece. (They had a Chagall or two at Harrod's. Go figure -- they have everything. Can't afford much of anything but they do have it!

Love popcorn. I went to pop last night and realized I was almost out -- it popped up to exactly one soup-bowl size. Which probably was a good thing...

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Love that stamp! And that's what I mostly buy overseas: magnets. They express so much about what different places feel represent them best.

Tina said...

The stamp is lovely, beautiful scene of the bride & groom. I know you made the custom agent laugh with your 2 magnets!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Chagall's work always intrigues me - love the stamp and the The Kitchen Table- A week of eating in Paris sounds amazing!

Beth F said...

Magnets are a fun souvenir. I hate having to replace my nonstick pans, so we simply stopped and returned to stainless steel and cast iron.

Tiffin Fiona said...

New frying pans are never boring, They are a highlight - even cheap non sticks. I've been looking at my own non stick and thinking it's time for a replacement. Selfishly, I think I will wait until January to buy one, after our visitors have left so they don't scratch a new pan (as my last visitors did!).

Pamela said...

Those chocolate "gold" coins remind me of when I was a child! Popcorn is a favorite of mine.

jama said...

Love Chagall and covet that magnet and those stamps. I have a popcorn popper but never use it since I'm too lazy to take it out. It's microwave popcorn for me. :) As someone once said, Paris is always a good idea.

Jen Rose said...

Awesome tip for the popcorn salt. I shall try that next time!

Shaheen said...

I'd love a popcorn maker, but my husband loves making it old style in a pot with a thin layer of oil. He thinks I don't need more kitchen appliances. Chocolate coins are a must this time of year! Have a good Christmas.

Liz said...

Not boring at all, essential tools. We are visiting Paris the end of next month for a week. Do you have any favorite culinary stores to recommend? I have never made them a goal but I think I might this time.

Kim Bultman said...

Mae, what a lovely story about that Chagall painting, the postage stamp, and your wedding in Paris. How romantic! Thanks for sharing "The Kitchen Table" too -- best place to gather in the whole wide world besides IMK. (Or Paris!) My "early" Christmas gift to myself (lol) was a new set of non-stick frying pans. Not boring at all! They're such workhorses in the kitchen and I'm sure you'll be seeing mine in January. :) Happy Chanukah, Holidays, and New Year! xo