Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Better Scrambled Eggs: Inspired by Paris

Inspired by a week of dining out in Paris, and a bit down from the first day back when we were eating stuff from the pantry and freezer -- we decided to try a new French recipe today for lunch. It's called Brouillade of Mushrooms. We associate the dish with author Martin Walker's fictitious detective and amateur chef Bruno, whose native Perigord offers him delicious specialties. Bruno, we think, makes this dish with truffles, not mushrooms, but we have no truffles at the moment (or ever, if you really want to know). We didn't actually eat anything like it in Paris, but just chose it as a nice French recipe.

Served as suggested: scrambled eggs topped with parmesan and sliced mushrooms
with a slice of buttered toast.
The ingredients: mushrooms (some chopped, some sliced), garlic, parsley,
grated parmesan, eggs, milk, butter, oil, salt, and pepper.
Actually, brouillade is the French name for scrambled eggs, though some recipes have you cook the egg mixture very slowly to make it more like a custard. A nice new word for Wordy Wednesday! It's actually a very simple recipe, and doesn't require anything unusual: I had all the ingredients on hand except cream, so I used milk instead. Here's the recipe source that I used: "Brouillade of Mushrooms or the best scrambled eggs you'll ever eat."

All photos and text copyright 2018 by Mae E. Sander. Published at maefood dot blogspot dot com. If you read this elsewhere, it has been stolen.

11 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I know a little French from our time living there and that's a new word for me.

Tina said...

Some folks aren't fans of mushrooms but I say, the more the better. Excellent meal.

Kitchen Riffs said...

Scrambled eggs -- moist ones, not the dry ones we see too often -- are a wonderful dish. I like them as a dinner dish -- and the mushroom version you link to would be perfect for that. But I won't turn them down for breakfast. Or lunch. :-) And brouillade is a new word for me -- thanks.

Iris Flavia said...

That is THE idea!!!
I did make scrambled eggs with mushrooms and still have dried and cream truffle and had no idea what to do with it - now I know, thank you!
Ha-ha, next week (hubby hates the smell of truffles).

Jeanie said...

This looks terrific, Mae. I'll check that recipe out for sure.

I do have to start reading the Bruno mysteries... I'm afraid to start a new series. I fall in and can't get up!

Jackie McGuinness said...

My husband thinks he makes the best scrambled eggs, a la Gordon Ramsay. They are good buy I am sending him this recipe!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Bring on the mushrooms- looks delicious

Beth F said...

We eat eggs for lunch and dinner as well as breakfast. This one with mushrooms looks really good.

Claudia said...

I am really looking forward to trying this version of scrambled eggs, especially being a fan of Bruno's.

Carole said...

srambled eggs and mushies....hmmm. Will look into it

jama said...

Be right over for some of those scrambled eggs. Yum!